SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Philippine National Infrastructure and Urban Planning

2M views 13K replies 737 participants last post by  1691433 
#1 ·
Negros Island

I looked around the forum to see information about this but couldn't find any... so I was wondering: Is there anyone here living in Bacolod? I was just curious about how it looked like and etc because I'm going there for a track meet somewhere in April :D How is it like? What are the good places to eat and go while there? :)

Thanks in advance ;P

#2 ·
A workmate just came back from a weeklong vacation in Bacolod. I haven't been there so I just dunno how the place looks like. She brought 'PIAYA' and it's taste good. :cheers:

#4 ·
piaya is their native delicacy. parang flattened na hopia. but its caramerilzed ata kc sweeter. anyways, negros is the philippines' sugar capital.

#6 ·
Bacolod People

There's a saying about Bacolod which goes:

Apart from the place, IT'S THE PEOPLE

Hence, when in Bacolod, you should get to know real Bacolenos.

Also, allow me to say that the best food in the city is not found in a restaurant. You have to be invited to a Saturday family lunch to savor the delectable dishes prepared by the family kusinera.

try visiting... http://bacolod75.greatestcities.com

#8 ·
ooh thanks for all the information :)

Baka nga na stranded yung mga passengers, I mean the rains have been pretty strong... even here in Manila =/

#9 · (Edited)
As promised, here are some pictures of Bacolod from my recent visit ;P

First of all, I must say that Bacolod is indeed a great place to go to. It is full of vitality but very peaceful and clean too! :)

Panaad Stadium at Bacolod

Cityscape; downtown Bacolod

Aerial view of Bacolod

Some more pictures of the city

Leaving you again with the impressive Panaad stadium ;)

#13 ·
BY KERLYN G. BAUTISTA, Reporter
Mindanao rail planned
Germany, Saudi Arabia to put money in Cagayan-Cotabato phase

Germany and Saudi Arabia are investing over P18.1 billion to partially finance the construction of an 82.5-kilometer mass transit system that will link the cities of Iligan, Cagayan de Oro, Gingoog, Marawi, and Cotabato in Mindanao by 2008.

This project, estimated to cost $520 million or over P28 billion, is expected to benefit 60,000 to 90,000 commuters daily in the Iligan-Cagayan de Oro "Industrial Corridor."

Transport Undersecretary Guiling A. Mamondiong told BusinessWorld yesterday that Germany would invest 220 million euros or P15.4 billion this year for the railway’s electronics and mechanicals.

Through German technology company Siemens, it will also provide 12 trains with travel speeds of 80-150 kilometers per hour. It will also put up ticketing, signaling, and communication systems.

Saudi Arabia will also lend $40 million and donate another $10 million, or a total of P2.705 billion, for the project.

The official said the government would also seek funding from Kuwait, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Oman, Libya, Brunei, and Thailand, which would do the feasibility study on the railway. Civil works will start in 2006. Project completion is scheduled for 2008.

"This will be the first major railway system outside Metro Manila, something that is well in line with the decongestion of the metro. After these rail projects are finished, we think we can have 40% reduction in our oil import," he said.

The government is proposing to build the Mindanao Railway System, a six-phase, 2,000-kilometer circumferential railway system.

Its first phase will connect Iligan and Cotabato. Phase two will connect Gingoog, Butuan, and Surigao. Phase three will connect Butuan, Monkayo, and Davao. Phase four will connect Davao, General Santos and Cotabato. Phase five will connect Iligan, Aurora, Dipolog, Liloy, Ipil and Zamboanga, and phase six will connect Cagayan de Oro, Malaybalay, Damulog, and Davao.

#17 ·
fantastic ! that would bring great prosperity to troubled mindanao ! but i cannot find any matches on the siemens homepage nor on german governments infrastructure/loans-to-the-phil. pages....hopefully this is not another illfated project like T 3 at NAIA with fraport. does anyone have some tips where i can find more about this project ?
salamat !

#18 ·
richard fischer said:
fantastic ! that would bring great prosperity to troubled mindanao ! but i cannot find any matches on the siemens homepage nor on german governments infrastructure/loans-to-the-phil. pages....hopefully this is not another illfated project like T 3 at NAIA with fraport. does anyone have some tips where i can find more about this project ?
salamat !
as much as we'd all like to find information about many projects, the digging process is pretty difficult :) not every project has a website, and sometimes, if they did, it would be crap. After all, unlike skyscraper projects, infra projects don't feel the need to advertise anything other than Gloria's face :D After continuous digging, I'm sorry to say that your best source for info is most probably here :D

If you're not content with the info here, you're free to dig on your own. News articles contain the most information at times, but they can be dreadfully repetitive. The NEDA site also lists infra projects and what status of red-tape they're in. Other government sites may have a tidbit or two, as well :)

Anyways, back on topic, this is such a cool project, but I can't help but feel that these trains are probably way better that what northrail is gonna get :D

#20 ·
i hope it will push through. studies on that mindanao-wide network were conducted during ramos administration pa ata.