SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Sports Stadiums / Clubs in your city / country

375K views 1K replies 303 participants last post by  Luis87 
#1 ·
show your largest stadium/sport arena of your country.

the netherlands:
the amsterdam arena, 51000 seats.

under the gras is a large parking area and a autoway is going under the stadium and the roof can be closed.

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
The UK will have 4 stadiums over 72,500* seats by 2007

According to Wikipedia the Millennium Stadium has a capacity of 74,500

But as for Completed Stadia...

Millennium - Biggest in UK
Old Trafford - Biggest in England

Stade de France - Biggest in France (80,000)

#9 ·
Largest stadiums in France.
1- Stade de France (St Denis): 80 000

2- Velodrome (Marseille): 60 000

3- Gerland (Lyon): 50 000

4- Parc des Princes (Paris): 48 000

5- Felix Bollaert (Lens): 45 000

6- La Baugeoire (Nantes): 38 000

#12 · (Edited)
When the refurbishment of the northern stand is completed in the next couple of months the Melbourne Cricket Ground will once again reclaim the title of Australia's largest and only +100k stadium. That current title is held by the 83k Telsta stadium in Sydney during the MCG's re-construction.

Almost finished :)

#14 ·
Perth4life14 said:
where it says on that picture "the largest crowd to e ver see a game in ann arbor or anywhere else", is that just reffering to NFL?

because the mcg in aus had a record croud of
121,696 - 1970 VFL Grand Final
Carlton v Collingwood
I believe they are referring to American Football. The thing is that record is not far from a normal crowd for Michigan or some other big schools. There are 3 others that average over 100,000 per game along with Michigan:

Penn State's Beaver Stadium - 107 282

Tennessee's Neyland Stadium - 104 079

Ohio State's Ohio Stadium - 101 568

#16 ·
Parken Stadium, Copenhagen, Denmark:

It's not as big as most others in thsi thread, but I'm sure it's one of the nicest stadiums here, to watch a game in, it is of the ones I've been to, anyway.

Denmark will host a friendly against England here, next wednesday.

#18 ·
.::G!oRgOs::. said:
ugly stadium. Whats with all the advertising?

It looks old...and yuk.
What has Danes done to offend you so much, that you hate us all?... ;)

No, I'm just kidding. Well, if I were to take a stab in the dark, I'd say that what's up with all the advertising is money.

It's about ten years old, and would be a UEFA five starred stadium, if it held about 8000 more seats. It's currently a four star stadium. It was deemed the safest stadium in Europe, a couple seasons ago. And has a retractable roof.

#20 ·
Top 5 in Germany

Berlin 76,000 seats

Munich 66,000 seats

Dortmund 66,000 seats

They've recently installed new seats, the old ones can still be seen in these pics though

Stuttgart 60,000 seats

Gelsenkirchen 52,000 seats

#21 ·
Perth4life14 said:
where it says on that picture "the largest crowd to e ver see a game in ann arbor or anywhere else", is that just reffering to NFL?
i also wanted to add that Michigan Stadium is host to the University of Michigan Wolverines, a college (university - amateur) american football team, of which there are 117 teams in the 'league'. Same goes for Beaver stadium (Penn State Univ) and Neyland (Univ of Tennessee) above. These arent NFL (professional league) stadiums.

NFL stadiums are gorgeous, but dont have the tradition, pagentry, atmosphere, or attendence figures of College Stadiums.

#24 ·
Big Deal about NCAA football:

from the fans standpoint:
- Bigger, more rowdy crowds than the NFL
- Older tradition then the NFL
- Schools don't move like franchises can
- No matter where one moves, they can always call their alma mater home, so you have lifetime fans, whereas one may move, like their new city and gain an affinity for the local team.
- Player movement from school to school is much less likely
- Quick turnaround of teams,
- More color, more pageantry, more familiar
- It is amateur sport uncompromised. Amateur sport is often great, but often limited in dollars, fans and TV. This situation is different. The dollars are there.

As a game:
- Much more open to a variety of systems. You can have offenses like, fun and gun like Texas Tech, Pro style like Ohio State or Michigan, Zone Read like Texas, or spread like Oklahoma.

- The athlete's aren't quite the trained machines that they are in the NFL yet, so mistakes are more likely. Sometimes NFL games are too perfect. Think Formula 1 vs F3000. We all know Formula 1 has better cars and drivers, but most of the time, the most entertainment will come from the F3000 race. Look at Michigan vs Texas in the Rose Bowl last year. You rarely see a guy take over like that in professional sports.

- At the same time, college football is more basic. Making it more easy to follow. From high school up, systems become more and more complicated. In high school most teams don't execute good enough to be super enjoyable, though you do run into a Southlake Carroll or mid-90s Lake Highlands once in a while. The pro systems are super complicated from an execution standpoint as well as running technical blitz schemes. College football is right in the middle. The execution is there, and simply ahead of most crazy NFL defensive schemes. Makes for a more fun game.

I like both as they are not really competing entities. College football is just plain fun. Its great to watch players grow up there and become pros.

#26 ·
Perth4life14 said:

because the mcg in aus had a record croud of
121,696 - 1970 VFL Grand Final
Carlton v Collingwood
wrong 138,000 went to watch a baseball match. I cant remember who.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.