SkyscraperCity Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[COMPLETED] St. Regis Hotel and Residences | 3 x 20 floors

41K views 263 replies 54 participants last post by  Vrooms 
#1 ·
St Regis Singapore is expected to be built by 2007; it will be the 'poshest hotel' here and will have 30 suites among its nearly 300 rooms

By Alexis Hooi And Benjamin Ho

A NEW $780 million hotel expected to be built in Tanglin Road by 2007 aims to be Singapore's poshest.

Just up the road from the Tanglin Shopping Centre, the 299-room St Regis Singapore will be one of the area's largest developments in recent years, and the first major hotel since The Fullerton opened in December 2000.

The St Regis Singapore will be Singapore's most luxurious hotel, and targeted at the very well-heeled, said Mr Gerry de Silva, spokesman for Hong Leong, a partner in the project.

The development, three 20-storey towers on 180,000 sq ft of prime land, will include 170 apartments and 130 service apartments.

It nestles next to the 441-room Regent Singapore, close to the 546-room Traders Hotel in Cuscaden Road, at the start of the Orchard Road hotel belt.

Only the third hotel in Asia to bear the nearly century-old St Regis name, the newcomer will be just the 12th St Regis in the world. The flagship, on 5th Avenue in Manhattan, New York, opened in 1904. The St Regis Singapore will boast 30 suites among its nearly 300 rooms, an unusually high suite-to-room ratio.

Starwood Hotels and Resorts Worldwide, which runs the Westin and Sheraton chains, as well as the trendy W hotels, manages the St Regis brand.

Single rooms in St Regis hotels start at US$655 (S$1,126) in New York and US$245 in Beijing, said Mr de Silva.

Singapore's St Regis will have a spa, four food and beverage outlets and retail shops. But no office space or major retail outlets are planned.

The project's partners, who all hold equal stakes, are:

City Developments, or CDL, which controls the London-listed corporation Millennium & Copthorne Hotels that owns The Plaza New York and the Seoul Hilton, among others;

Hong Leong Holdings, which like CDL is part of the Hong Leong Group headed by property and hotel magnate Kwek Leng Beng; and

Trade Industrial Development, or TID, a joint venture between Mitsui Fudosan and Hong Leong Holdings.

Work is due to start in the second half of next year. Construction is expected to cost up to $400 million. The announcement comes at a time when the hotel industry is still recovering from the business slump and the Sars outbreak that devastated it in April and May.

A Singapore Tourism Board spokesman said yesterday that the hotel sector was almost back to pre-Sars levels.

In September, the average occupancy was two percentage points lower than last year's average of 74 per cent. But rates averaged $112 that month, 11 to 12 per cent lower than the overall average last year.

Mr de Silva said: 'We're taking a long-term approach to the hospitality market and we're very bullish in Singapore. This will cater to the high-end market and there'll be a demand for it.'

Said Mr Tay Kah Poh, 46, research director at property consultancy Knight Frank: 'I don't see a glut now and the outlook is really quite positive. Mr Kwek Leng Beng has been looking for a flagship hotel and this might be it.'

See less See more
#2 ·
And here's a photo of the project:

:D

#3 ·
What are the other 3 cities?
I am so excited about this project!

Now all we need is the Peninsula hotel group to come to complete the set.:D

Ok, we now have:

Raffles
Ritz Carlton
Hyatt
Hilton
Sheraton
Shangri-la
Swissotel
Merchant Court
Marriot
Mandarin Oriental
Meritus
Conrad
Copthorne
Fullerton
Pan-Pacific

#4 ·
Isnt the Peninsular Hotel by the Peninsular group? :? :D

Think you can split up "Mandarin Oriental" into two, although they might be run by the same company. They are two brands, just like Raffles, Merchant Court and Swissotel are also actually under one company.

Let me add a few more :D

Amara
Novotel
Hotel Plaza(includes the Parkroyal Brand)
Inter-Continental
Le Meridien
Holiday Inn
Regent
Windsor

Oh, and how about Hotel 81?? Hahah! :D

#5 ·
Originally posted by huaiwei

Think you can split up "Mandarin Oriental" into two, although they might be run by the same company. They are two brands, just like Raffles, Merchant Court and Swissotel are also actually under one company.

Let me add a few more :D

Amara
Novotel
Hotel Plaza(includes the Parkroyal Brand)
Inter-Continental
Le Meridien
Holiday Inn
Regent
Windsor

Oh, and how about Hotel 81?? Hahah! :D
Don't forget the Fragrance budget hotel chain. :)

#6 ·
Originally posted by huaiwei

It can't be Peninsula, Peninsula Hotels are much much better and more luxurious. Besides, the one next to Excelsior is Peninsula Hotel, not THE PENINSULA.:)

Either it is that, or the Singapore one is Peninsula's biggest faliure:D

#7 ·
Hmm...just discovered that this "The Peninsular" only has like 8 super luxury hotels man...haha

Some other internation hotel chains to add:
ANA Hotels
Four Seasons (surely this is luxurious enough? :D)
Grand Hotels
Prince Hotels

And these were once here:
Marco Polo
Westin
Equatorial

#9 ·
Hmmm...but take note that these are only 20 storey high each? I think the facade-less model makes them look taller then they are or something.

and only one of the towers will be the hotel. There will be a condo and a serviced apartment in the other two blocks. Anyone has money to burn? ;)

#10 ·
Looks pretty good. Too bad they didn't show the facade in that rendering. :( Hope it dosen't disappiont us! :)

I wonder who the architect is...

#11 ·
actually i don't fancy such contemporary developments very much. we've already got LOADS of them! LOADS of them all over our neighbouring countries too...nothing spectacular...

i think Singapore's forte lies in its historical gems, such as The Raffles Hotel & The Fullerton. ah...few can come close to its history and prestige. whohooo!

#12 ·
then what are we to make of al these new developments? Build more fake art-deco ones like Parkview Square? :D Hey I wont mind a 21st century re-creation of those gothic-styled buildings!

#14 ·
Originally posted by TropicalSQ744

Anyone know when this project will beign construction? :?
If its to be built by 2007 I expect construction should start next year or early 2005.

Is the site on the ex-Marco Polo Hotel? I'm not sure but I think I recalled the site has been cleared and empty for some time now..or is that something else?

#16 ·
Originally posted by Cliff

I would prefer a building like any of those Duxton proposals grow in Singapore.:D
What do you mean? You rather they build those Duxton proposals around our island to them building this hotel?

#18 ·
Originally posted by Cliff

oh, no, I ment I would rather them build Duxton propsal-like buildings all over our island than fake aart deco ones like Parkview Square.:)
Yes to building those duxton proposals butwhy is Parkview Square fake? I find it on par with most of the duxton proposals. I won't mind more buildings that look like it. :)

#23 ·
Originally posted by RafflesCity

Novena is glass paradise.

Dont forget 1 Marina Boulevard and maybe its not so bad we're getting a huge box - 1 raffles quay. At least its ALL GLASS..

Think of the reflections on its facade and when the sun hits it:cool:
Yes, I'm very excited. btw, that is a most appropriate use of that smiley.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.