SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Middle East Aviation Thread

240K views 312 replies 76 participants last post by  cbeboy 
#1 ·
New domestic airlines have started in the Gulf and the Gulf also has good international airlines so I think Middle East Aviation should have its own thread. Liverys, news, pictures, airports, etc are examples of what one could post in this thread.

#261 ·
Looks like a reshuffle at the top was only a matter of time to progress forward :banana:

The new chief executive officer of Oman Air will be finalised in the next 10 days, it has been claimed.

Peter Hill, the national carrier’s existing CEO, is expected to retire in December 2011 following a three-year stint at Oman Air and a replacement has apparently been drafted.

“Initially I was set to retire in September 2011 but I agreed to delay the final date by a few months to enable the board of directors more time to source my successor,” he confirmed to Aviation Business magazine during the Dubai Airshow 2011 last week.

“However, this time around, I am definitely leaving and will move to Sri Lanka. In terms of my replacement, I believe someone will be finalised in the next 10 days. An announcement is imminent,” he added.

British Midlands International CEO Wolfgang Prock-Schauer has long been touted by the media as a potential candidate for the position, although Oman Air officials have since ruled the executive out.

“I know a few people have been shortlisted and an announcement will be made very soon to end the speculation,” Hill told Aviation Business magazine in August 2011. “I’m sure the choice will be good for Oman Air and whoever is eventually selected, hopefully they will lead the airline to breakeven in the near future.”

Oman Air announced an order for six Boeing 787-8s at last week’s Dubai Airshow, which will be powered by Rolls-Royce Trent 1000 engines. The airline completed an arrangement with Boeing and Kuwait-based leasing company ALAFCO to transfer existing orders for the six Dreamliners from ALAFCO to Oman Air.

"Our decision to order the 787-8 is part of Oman Air's long-term growth strategy to expand and modernise our fleet with newer, more fuel-efficient airplanes," said Hill. "We see direct benefits because of the Dreamliner's fuel efficiency and operating economics as well as the enhanced travel experience that Oman Air will be able to offer its customers aboard this airplane."
http://www.arabiansupplychain.com/article-6776-oman-air-set-to-announce-new-chief-executive-officer/

#266 ·
Gulf carriers cancel flights, warn of disruption

Due to the announcement of the strike by the UK Border Control Authority at all airports in the United Kingdom on November 30, some of the Gulf carriers have predicted significant disruption and extensive delays for passengers at arrival and departure in and out of the United Kingdom.

However, Oman Air has announced that there have been no changes in its flight schedule so far. “We are monitoring the situation very closely,” an official source from Oman Air said.
Meanwhile, Emirates has cancelled the flights EK029 — from Dubai International Airport to London Heathrow on November 30 and EK030 — from London Heathrow to Dubai International Airport on November 30.

http://www.timesofoman.com/echoice.asp?detail=52396

#267 ·
Mid-air collision averted after flight strays from path

A mid-air collision between an Air Arabia flight and a Qatar Airways, which could have killed hundreds of passengers, was averted on Wednesday. The two flights were passing through the city early on Wednesday morning when the incident occurred. One of the planes had allegedly strayed from its dedicated flight path.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/India...-flight-strays-from-path/Article1-776339.aspx

#273 ·
Hewler/Erbil International Airport - Kurdistan

It has the 5th longest runway in world, and is one of only 4 category II Airports in the Middle East.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RXelrZAqcI

^^ Dont know how to add videos. Thats a video about the airport.

Slemani International Airport - Kurdistan

Under construction: Duhok International Airport - Kurdistan (Sorry for bad quality pictures)

#279 ·
Officially the name remains Iraqi Kurdistan/Iraq,yes. But we both know how that relates to the fact on the ground. Kurdistan is pretty much independent in everything from Baghdad except economical. Baghdad's economic power over Kurdistan will also be gone by the end of the year (the oil will flow independently in the coming days/weeks, and will generate more or less the same amount of wealth as we got from the 11% in the starting months. Capacity will be increased to 500 000 barrels by the mid-end of 2014. More pipelines are already being negotiated on), effectively making Kurdistan independent from Baghdad unofficially. Maybe even officially if our politicians give up on the 11% KRG gets from Baghdad (which i doubt they will).

Yes, i know it was paid for by the 11% from Baghdad. That 11% ("Officially" 17%) we get from Iraq is whats kept us part of Iraq until now.

#280 ·
I hope officially so they quit stealing our money, but the thing is even if Iraq cuts the 17% you cannot leave, leave = declaration of war with Iraq unless Iraq accepts it since KRG is controlling non KRG lands which they wont as stated before by gov & armed forces commanders. On the other side Turkey&Iran oppose it.
Tarazani himself called the cutting of the budget a declaration of war but he's too weak to act militarily.
Sadly, your crew is tied to us whether we or you like it or not.

However going back to the point, as you said indeed.
OFFICIALY: The name remains Iraq, on SSC we use official data/sources, no RBK mickey mouse shit.

#281 ·
By "non-KRG land", i assume you mean Kerkuk and other Disputed Kurdish areas. This issue should have been resolved years ago through article 140, but due to Baghdad's suspension of it it never went trough. Baghdad will supposedly allocate some money for the article implementation in 2014s budget, but they have said so 10 times before and no action fallowed up.

Iraq is not in a state to declare war on KRG, especially not now due to the Syria conflict. Baghdad have sectarian and Islamist insurgents to handle elsewhere in Iraq, and if they declare war on KRG, the Syrian "civil" war will definitely spill over to Iraq. You have to remember that the size of the military is not everything to a conflict, and military conflict is indeed not the only way to solve such problems.

Btw, if KRG declared independence, they would still demand money for the atrocities committed by Saddam's regime. Right now KRG claims Baghdad owes 18 billion dollars for just that, and 6 billion for Pesh budget (PressTV numbers). None of which have been paid 1 dollar for since 2007. So yes, no more 11% budget from Baghdad, but the money will (maybe) keep on coming for some years (not same amount, but a little bit).

Not all kurds on the internet are from RBK.

#282 ·
By "non-KRG land", i assume you mean Kerkuk and other Disputed Kurdish areas. This issue should have been resolved years ago through article 140, but due to Baghdad's suspension of it it never went trough. Baghdad will supposedly allocate some money for the article implementation in 2014s budget, but they have said so 10 times before and no action fallowed up.
140 = expired, we dont implement it, KRG was paying Ay-rabs to leave cities, so you have the courage to still mention 140.

Iraq is not in a state to declare war on KRG, especially not now due to the Syria conflict. Baghdad have sectarian and Islamist insurgents to handle elsewhere in Iraq, and if they declare war on KRG, the Syrian "civil" war will definitely spill over to Iraq. You have to remember that the size of the military is not everything to a conflict, and military conflict is indeed not the only way to solve such problems.
Not answering this part, not the lack of knowledge (militarily) but simply will take pages of arguing, if you want on the Iraqi subforum.

Btw, if KRG declared independence, they would still demand money for the atrocities committed by Saddam's regime. Right now KRG claims Baghdad owes 18 billion dollars for just that, and 6 billion for Pesh budget (PressTV numbers). None of which have been paid 1 dollar for since 2007. So yes, no more 11% budget from Baghdad, but the money will (maybe) keep on coming for some years (not same amount, but a little bit).
Demanding does not hurt us, keep demanding then.:lol: Iran demanded 1 trillion $ for the Iran-Iraq war, so you plan on demanding ?

#283 ·
Most of the people that were paid to leave, were not native to kerkuk. They were put there by Saddam, throwing out kurdish families and giving their houses to arab families (during the arabization process of Kerkuk).

"The supreme committee... finished approving 2,000 applications submitted by Arab residents in Kirkuk who want to receive compensation of 15,000 dollars (10,600 euros) to return to their original residence places"

I still hope article 140 (or same thing, other name) will be implemented. The fact that it was not implemented back in the years is a shame. The true status of the areas can be solved via an election.

Thats why i put maybe in the text. If Baghdad-Hewler relations will be good after separation, maybe baghdad will pay for the past mistakes (by saddam).

#284 ·
Most of the people that were paid to leave, were not native to kerkuk. They were put there by Saddam, throwing out kurdish families and giving their houses to arab families (during the arabization process of Kerkuk).
Nice to know that you know the people I am speaking about personally, don't pull stuff out of the ass.

"The supreme committee... finished approving 2,000 applications submitted by Arab residents in Kirkuk who want to receive compensation of 15,000 dollars (10,600 euros) to return to their original residence places"
KRG paying them to leave back in the days when they were still dreaming about art 140, basically Iraqi money going to KRG, they use it to move Iraqis out making use of the poor peoples conditions, ofc they will accept the money and even lie for it.

I still hope article 140 (or same thing, other name) will be implemented. The fact that it was not implemented back in the years is a shame. The true status of the areas can be solved via an election.
Yes keep hoping on an article that leans to the favors of Kurds and does not mention to reverse Kurdification, its already expired don't hope for it.

Thats why i put maybe in the text. If Baghdad-Hewler relations will be good after separation, maybe baghdad will pay for the past mistakes (by Saddam).
Arbil*
Again a reminder we are not in mickey mouse RBK dreamland.
Baghdad will not pay just like the Iran-Iraq war 1 trillion request was denied, Iraq is already paying KRG yet none of you are thankful, also there wont be separation, unfortunately you people are stuck to us for various reasons, and its not just the 17%.

Saddam did not make mistakes.

#285 ·
Those people were not native to Kerkuk and had taken over ex-Kurdish homes. Im glad they were paid to leave instead of tensions rising between the original owners of the house and the new ones (would of course lead to violent clashes).

How do you know they were lying?

Again, i hope for an election to finalize the status of Kerkuk.

Kurdification? Giving the original owners of a house their home back is Kurdification? If a thief takes something from you, and you take it back; does that also make you a thief?

I am talking about facts on the ground, and not on paper. That has nothing to do with RBK-SSC.

Iraq is paying KRG 11% because of the Iraqi constitution obliges it to do it and has nothing to do with the 18 billion owed because of Saddam's atrocities against Kurds (and 6 billion to pesh).

Saddam did make many wrong things. Anfal and the crack down on Shias, the state of terror iraqi citizens were in everyday (at least the kurds were, pretty sure many shias too), the invasion of Kuwait (and the atrocities committed against Kuwaitis)...and the list goes on.

Saddam was a psychopathic dog

#286 · (Edited)
Those people were not native to Kerkuk and had taken over ex-Kurdish homes. Im glad they were paid to leave instead of tensions rising between the original owners of the house and the new ones (would of course lead to violent clashes).
Kerkuk is Arappha, thousands year old city built by the Babylonians, Kurds = Medes = Iranians, invaded and settled when the Medo-Persian empire conquered Assyria,
Heres news : your not native.

How do you know they were lying?
Use youtube, Al Jazeera holds vid news about it from some years ago, KRG paying Arabs to leave & sometimes threatening.

Kurdification? Giving the original owners of a house their home back is Kurdification? If a thief takes something from you, and you take it back; does that also make you a thief?
Bullshit.

Iraq is paying KRG 11% because of the Iraqi constitution obliges it to do it and has nothing to do with the 18 billion owed because of Saddam's atrocities against Kurds (and 6 billion to pesh).
17%.
18 billion & 6 billion, :lol:

Saddam was a psychopathic dog
You see he's not a dog

#287 ·
What has thousands of years old history to do with the people living there today? Im talking about the situation today. Many kurds had lost their homes and lives to Arabs from the south who were put in their house. Now these kurds are getting their houses back and the Arabs moving back to their families and original houses (AND get paid good money for it). In other words, reversing Saddam's arabization policy

I just saw a vid from Al jazeera on the matter:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg3sCcuqLSg

Note the guy in the start saying he goes back by free will. And arabs are free to stay in Kerkuk as long as it is not in the house of Kurds who were thrown out during the arabization process.

Why bullshit?

11%
why laugh? We know Baghdad wont pay what it owes.

That picture does not change my view on him. Still a psychopathic dog.

I might add; that comment was not very argumentative

#289 · (Edited)
#292 ·
New Saudi airline coming up

Jan. 16 (Bloomberg) -- Bombardier Inc. won an order for 16 CSeries jets plus 10 options from Saudi Arabia’s Al Qahtani Group, which plans to deploy the aircraft at full-service startup carrier Saudi Gulf.

Al Qahtani’s order, worth $2 billion at list price with the options, is for the larger CS300 version of the narrowbody plane, which seats from 135 to 160 people and competes with the Airbus Group A319 and versions of Boeing Co. (BA:US)’s 737.

Saudi Gulf will start flying in late 2015 or early 2016, Al Qahtani said in a joint press conference with Bombardier at the Bahrain Air Show. It will serve domestic cities including Riyadh, Jeddah and Dammam, plus locations in the Gulf and as far afield as Pakistan within three or four hours flying time.
http://www.businessweek.com/news/20...er-for-16-cseries-jets-for-startup-saudi-gulf

#294 ·
Online booking add lots of convenience now airline tickets for one way travel as well as two way travel easily available on updated rates via online booking all most all airlines who travel middle east facilitating their customers so they booked their travel ticket with lots of convenience on any particular airline on which they actually want to travel. Same like that now on any international tour customer are enjoying car rental online advance booking service.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.