SkyscraperCity Forum banner

GLOUCESTER | Full Summary of Projects

265K views 832 replies 53 participants last post by  madannie 
#1 · (Edited)
OFFICIAL GLOUCESTER REGENERATION

Gloucester is a prosperous and exciting city located near the Welsh border on the banks of the River Severn. It has a long and detailed history dating back to the Roman times and was an important industrial hub for much of this time. Following changes in industry, the city saw a large decline during the last half of the 20th century.

Following large scale investment and promotion of the city, it now boasts impressive architecture, innovative industry and an improving retail scene.

Below is a summary of the latest projects and details of completed work.

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Gloucester Quays
Gloucester Quays has been a massive £400million investment into Gloucester by the Peel Investment Group. The first phases are completed, being a designer outlet centre, Travelodge Hotel, Sainsburys Supermarket and new college site for GLOSCAT.

The latest phase is a £40million plan to build a 10screen Cineworld cinema above 10 bar/retaurant units in the area between the canal and the outlet centre. Nandos and Pizza Express are already tenents of this area. Restaurants believed to be interested include Carluccios and Wagamamas.

Gloucester Docks
Work is completed on a multi-million pound plan to convert the former antique centre into high end apartments. Another apartment block has been completed with the architecture designed to sympathetically fit in with the local surroundings and historic Gloucester Docks.

Ecclasiastical Insurance and due to imminently start work on their new Headquarters building on the current Southgate Street surface car park. The last news was that the company had committed themselves to site and appointed architects to draw up the plans.

St Oswalds Park Final Phases
Residential phases continue by Charles Church/Persimmon and there are new apartment blocks being constructed alongside the retirement centre and behind the B&Q store.

Kingsway
Many thousands of houses are being build on the western fringe of Gloucester by a consortium of 8 house builders. There will be 3-400 houses plus a new neighbourhood centre, parks, 2 schools and shops once complete. Neighbourhoods 2&3 have recently been launched, and construction of the new school has begun. The retail provision so far includes Tesco Express, Badhams Pharmacy and a pub. A large Asda has been confirmed for the area just off the A38 with work due to start soon.

Railway Triangle
Work has now started to clear the site and lay down services to the railway riangle site. This will become home to a large new Morrisons store and petrol station alongwith light industrial units, small retail stores and restaurants.

PROPOSED

Greyfriars
Estimated at £60million, it occupies the site formerly held by Gloscat on Brunswick Road. The old teaching blocks will be demolished, and a new sustainable neighbourhood built, including new retail, offices and restaurants plus a new public square. The recession has impacted on this development, having been delayed and Edward Ware homes being dropped as preffered developer. Construction is due to start in March/April 2010 following a 1 year public consultation (very favourable as well). The new developer Linden Homes will construct abotu 400 units with £60 million estimated investment in the area.

Bakers Quay
No recent news and the site has been put on the market.

Kings Quarter
The plans here include the demolition of the Bus station and carparks, and to extend the Kings Walk Shopping mall. The contruction of a new flagship department store is proposed. Kings Square would also be totally redeveloped, and the bus station would move to the car park of Land Registry (opposite the train station). Kings Square itself would be filled with new retail stores and the square moved north to sit where the current bus station and taxi ranks are- better linking the station to the city centre. Stanhope Plc are behind the plans and have a succesful legacy at delivering high quality retail driven regeneration- most notably in Exeter. The project will be worth an estimated £80-100million.

OTHER PROJECTS

Contract Chemicals Site, Bristol Road
a masterplan for this former factory site is currently being drawn up, but looks likely to be mixed use including offices, housing and light industry, and is estimated to be worth £30million.

COMPLETED

Gloucester Quays Phases 1-3
The Gloucester Quays Designer Outlet Centre has been completed and opened with great success. There are currently 60 stores let and many more due to be announced shortly. Stores such as Nike, Calvin Klein, The White Company, Gap are all making first appearances in Gloucester and often the county.

Also included in the project was a new Sainsburys Superstore, bringing with it 200 jobs.

A new iconic Bridge finally connecting St Anns way to Hempsted

Finally, a new campus for Gloucestershire opened in Phase1 of the project. Being hailed as a major success and setting the ball rolling for the wider Quays development

Gloucestershire Royal Hospital
Completed a couple of years ago, this redevelopment provided Gloucester with premier health facitilies including new childrens wards, X-ray, orthopaedics, A&E, wards and new parking. The project cost ~£30million.

Ibis Hotel
Due to be build on the Eastern Avenue roundabout behind the Total Petrol Station, this large Ibis hotel brings much needed hotel space to the city.

St Oswolds Park Phases 1&2
On the site which was formerly the Gloucester Cattle Market, this landmark development has seen the biggest B&Q store in the western world, plus a DW Fitness, Mothercare, Argos, SCS, Frankie and Benny's, Subway, Dominoes, Natwest, Homesense and Harvester.

The project is valued at £100million and was a joint venture between Hammerson Developments and Gloucester City Council.

Gloucester Docks
Crest Nicholson have spent £10's millions on regenerating Gloucester Docks and restoring them to their former glory. They have also build two new blocks around Barge Arm, containing shops and restaurants in the bottom.

Gloucester Rugby Club
The club has undergone a large scale expansion project, seeing the second new stand contructed in 3 years. The capacity of the club is being increased to 17000 from 6000. The stand is estimated at £6million.

Gloucester Northern Bypass
Gloucester welcomed the opening of a new £43million bypass, opening up the western waterfront of the city and the Monk Meadow portion of gloucester quays for development. The bypass has significantly improved traffic congestion down Bristol Road.

Here are the projects in relation to the city centre:

As you can see, Gloucester is indeed undergoing a rebirth, so please comment, discuss, add pictures and renders...Gloucester is worth talking about!

See less See more
#607 ·
it has been confirmed today that Tesco will be moving into the former Welsh Harp pub and opening an Express store. proof comes from this,

http://www.glcstrplnng11.co.uk/AWMWeb/Temp/temp_doc_201109272024049584216.PDF

Excellent news about the Quays today this will give the whole centre a massive boost, i for one can't wait! just think where we were 5 years ago and where we will be in 5 years time, Gloucester is moving forward..

#609 · (Edited)
More great news today for Gloucester!!!

Wagamama, Cafe Rouge and TGI Friday restaurant chains are to open at Gloucester Quays too!

CELEBRITY chef Gino D'Acampo is to open a restaurant in Gloucester Quays after falling in love with the city.

http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co...g-Gloucester/story-13425608-detail/story.html

Note: Cafe Rouge and TGI Friday restaurants have been long standing rumours. It is inclear if any of the three chains will open up prior to the redevelopment but assume they are?!?

#616 ·
Am back in my home-city for a few days and hopefully will be able to get some photos!

Gloucester Quays- Next are taking an extra unit alongside their current one.

Oneida and The White Company have moved inside next to Musto. Their units are being vacated for the Quayside Project.

The Quayside has new adverts up on the newly vacant units as well as promotion along Llanthony Road and by Southgate Street. This suggests to me that Peel are very serious about getting this off the ground ASAP.

Kings Square- Toilets and former Pulp store have all gone. Area has now been flattened and grass planted with a small wall around it. Looks SO much better and it's nice to have the square fully opened up now. Seems much bigger. Around the corner Tesco Express at the bus station is fully open and looks smart. Might draw some trade away from Sainsburys on Northgate Street unless they do their long awaited refurb.

Northgate Street- Former Kwik Save has hoarding around it but little sign of activity still. This project really needs to get going. That end of town is very depressing now.

Gloucester Docks- Planning has gone in to covert former Antique Centre/Arts and Craft Centre to apartments with retail in the bottom. Cant see this not being approved given the precedent at other warehouses.

As shown in the photo above by oldspot, Merchants Warehouse is really looking smart. I like how it fits so well with the brickwork of the other units while standing out in it's own right. Crest Nicholson have done a good job here.

Southgate Street- Language Immersion Centre is coming on now. Brickwork on the front is pretty much complete. Hard to tell how far it is from being complete but surely cant be long.

Eastgate Street- former Currys unit is all boarded off and Poundworld should be open in the next few weeks looking at how fast they are working. Not much happening in former Woolworths since the asbestos was ripped out. Am guessing we'll see more action from M&S on this after Christmas.

#617 ·
Thanks for the info Pharmj - just one thing, the scheme for the old Antique Centre already has Planning Permission so they can start almost immediately. Just conditions to satisfy. There is absolutely no parking provided for this project, Highways objected but it was still passed.

10/00894/REP | Conversion and refurbishment of building with retail/restaurant use(s) on ground floor, 26 no.residential units above and associated cycle and bin stores (renewal of planning permission ref: 07/00771/FUL). | Lock Warehouse Severn Road Gloucester GL1 2LE

#619 ·
MASSIVE plans to revive one of Gloucester's most run-down areas are set to be approved.

Plans to redevelop Greyfriars are up for recommended approval from city council planners.

It comes as the leader of the city council issued a rallying call – calling it the "single most important" scheme for bringing more people into Gloucester.

The huge scheme involves the demolition of the entire site, with 254 new homes, green space, an open area in front of the friary, a cafe, office space and a restaurant all in the pipeline, with 2.4 hectares of land being transformed.

A report set to go before the planning committee on Tuesday urges councillors to give it the nod, despite critical comments from Gloucester Civic Trust, which states it would be a "missed opportunity" to create a "landmark development" worthy of such a central location. A doctor's surgery, creche and community facility are also included in the scheme, which is pioneered by Linden Homes.

During a series of major consultations the views of more than 200 people were sought, with many backers giving their views. The report states: "This is a high quality development proposal."

It also says that it would improve the "built environment" and should be backed by the committee.

The project also has the approval of the city council's Conservative leadership.

Leader of the council Paul James, said: "I can understand the sensitivities around the development, but the latest drawings and details I have seen are an improvement on what we've seen before. This is the single most important development in bringing people into the city centre and all the benefits that will bring the day and night-time economies."

The Homes and Communities Agency (HCA) and the Gloucester Heritage Urban Regeneration Company are also involved in the scheme.

The committee meeting starts at 6pm at North Warehouse.

from thisisgloucestershire.co.uk

Also the company that owns Liquid nightclub has gone into administration which would be a big blow for the night time economy in Gloucester.

#621 ·
Costa has applied for planning for for signage at Severnvale Centre (new Quedgeley Tesco)

Kingsway Local Centre are having a Vets installed there to join Tesco Express, Taylors Estate Agents and Badhams Pharmacy.

Marks and Spencer have applied for permission to install solar panels above the new store in Eastgate Centre. This is a good sign of the commitment to the new store.

Greyfriars
has received full approval from planners allowing it to progress ahead unhindered. Demo work onsite is ongoing..

#622 ·
Asics sportswear are advertising for a full set of staff at Gloucester Quays for a new outlet. No opening date yet. This is an excellent coup as it would be one of the only stores in the country for the Japanese retailer.

#623 ·
Hi all been following this site for years thought it was time I joined and got involved. Asics is a good start to where The Quays should be heading ultimately it should take a look at Bicester Village as the bench mark. Gucci, Ralph Loren, Hugo Boss, Lacoste, Superdry, Bose, Ugg, Miss Sixty, Diesel these are some of the names I want to see down there all of them are at Bicester. Does anyone know what's happening opposite Sainsburys at the quays construction work going on I thought this is where the hotel was supposed to be?

#626 ·
Few photos from lunch - sorry about crappy zoom on phone.

This shows the new Merchants Quay over the Wolfgang Buttress sculpture. He recently completed the Balls on the Falls in Belfast. I think this one should be known as the **** on the Dock!

This is the new Language Centre which looks pretty good to me, scaffolding just removed. The only thing is, and i dont think my photo shows it to well, is a horrible steel staircase on the roof. Health and Safety no doubt.

#627 ·
Detailed Plans Submitted for Gloucester’s New Leisure Quarter

The Peel Group this week submitted detailed plans to Gloucester City Council for its multi-million pound investment into the city’s historic docks area, which will see it create a new leisure and shopping quarter – The Quayside.

The plans, if given the go-ahead, will see the expansion of the city’s Gloucester Quays Outlet Centre, also owned by The Peel Group, to include 11 restaurants, a 10-screen, 1,600-seat cinema and new shops. The plans will also mean the creation of up to 500 new jobs. Work is scheduled to start early next year with The Quayside ready for business by autumn 2013. The existing cinema at the nearby Peel Centre retail park would then be converted to create additional retail space.

from peel.co.uk :
Gloucester Quays already boasts a mix of designer and high street outlet shops offering discounts of up to 70%, plus restaurant chains Pizza Express and Nandos. Talks are now underway with a number of other household restaurant names.

Alison Tennant, PR and marketing manager for Gloucester Quays says: “We’ve already received a lot of local support for our plans to expand the Quays and turn it into a real destination. We don’t want people in Gloucester to feel like they have to leave the city for a good night out or to go to the cinema. The Quayside will give them fantastic facilities right on their doorstep.”

The Peel Group undertook a series of public consultations in September and October 2011 and have taken on board a number of suggestions including car parking tariffs and services available which have been included as part of its application.

#628 ·
The cinema will hopefully draw in the resteraunts I would like to see jamies Italian, carlucios, brasserie blanc, loch fyne, yo shushi, wagamama, zizzis, the real Greek, the gourmet burger kitchen and a Spanish and Mexican resteraunt would also be great to see some independents like Sebz down there wasted in Northgate street could thrive at the docks. I also want some bars for the 30+ crowd who have very little choice in Gloucester all bar one, slug and lettuce, o'neils etc come on peel sort it out anyone else got any thought on what they want?

#629 ·
Quite agree I Spy.

The potential for evening trade down at the Quays is unlimited I feel. Although currently I still enjoy the fab bargains you get down there, the eateries don't make me stay longer than necessary.

With a family of 2 young children, to draw a further £30-£40 from my wage per month on a choice of restaurants would make me stay and pay. Phase 2 can not come quick enough in my opinion.

This alone as per the feasability study would draw many many more people to this great City when the building work commences or is completed.

Does any of the regular posters also have any idea if the buildings/potential restaurant outlets right next to Llanthony Bridge are in the firing line for use along with the "old" Waterfront pub?