SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Shrewsbury & Shropshire

28K views 457 replies 41 participants last post by  madannie 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Great news for my home town of Shrewsbury, £1bn is quite a lot for a town of 70,000. i'll try to find details of some of these projects and post them when I have time. :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.shropshirestar.com/show_article.php?aID=38033

One billion pounds is to be pumped into Shrewsbury in the next 10 years as part of major plans to bring the historic town into the 21st century, it was revealed today.

But only about £40 million will be taxpayers' money, with hundreds of millions of pounds coming from private investments. The cash will pay for 40 major projects by 2015.

They include Shrewsbury Sports Village in Sundorne, the Frankwell theatre complex and Ditherington Flax Mill regeneration.

The combined cost of the projects is £777 million but council chiefs today confirmed that if all private housing developments were included the figure could easily top £1 billion.

Projects range from a £2 million luxury hotel in Frankwell to a £96 million reinstatement of the Newport to Shrewsbury canal.

Councillor Peter Nutting, leader of Shrewsbury and Atcham Borough Council, said: "This amount of money being invested in the Shrewsbury area is a really good plus for the town.

Projects, at varying stages of completion, also include the New Meadow stadium, new livestock market and a £12 million refurbishment of the Music Hall.

And plans for many of the projects are well on their way with five schemes including New Meadow, the Gay Meadow housing development and the St Julian's development, having gained planning permission.

See less See more
#3 ·
Fellow Salopian here! Sorry I haven't posted for a long time - but I'm busy these days.

Shrewsbury's a really nice town (in a very nice county) - and is the commercial capital for most of Shropshire and Mid Wales.

Looking forward to seeing the combined shopping centre ("Castle Gate" as it will be called) and the new theatre at Frankwell.

Floreat Salopia! ;)

#6 ·
Reactions: mrsmartman
#8 ·
Hello, long time lurker, first time poster. Fantastic news this for the town, but a lot of it needs to be taken with a huge pinch of salt, as nimby's will get their way on some.
As someone who leaves quite near the Flaxmill it will be brilliant to see it transformed and the grand plan is to create a new public space in front of it. Seeing what is being done at Fort Dunlop there is no excuse to not get started on it. Afterall, without it, no-one on hear would even be discussing skyscrapers.

#10 ·
Manchester Planner said:
You've obviously never been to Shrewsbury. If anything, other towns should copy its example. It's one of the nicest places I've been to. Only Chester and Bath have impressed me more (for medium sized towns).
I used to live about 5 minutes away from it, been there more times then you've probably entered Manchester buddy.

Sure it has some nice stuff but other then that it offers very little

#13 ·
birminghamculture said:
I used to live about 5 minutes away from it, been there more times then you've probably entered Manchester buddy.

Sure it has some nice stuff but other then that it offers very little
Well, it's a town of 70,000, what do you want? What does Worcester have to offer that Shrewsbury should be looking at? I can only think of a couple of things.

1. A cathedral, but Shrewsbury has the Abbey and plenty of nice churches.

2. A professional Rugby club and County Championship cricket ground but Shrewsbury has a league football team to make up for that.

Apart from that I would say Shrewsbury is equal to or better for shopping, nightlife, restaurants, housing, transport, arts, architecture, parks, the river, tourism, jobs, schools etc etc.

#14 ·
Shrewsbury, IMO, is the perfect size for living in. It's not too small, but it's not too big either. We have everything we need and only occassionally do we need to go further afield for things like an airport or a major theatre production. Shopping is great in Shrewsbury - the shops we are missing will move in once the shopping centre is extended.

#15 ·
Canary Wharf said:
Shopping is great in Shrewsbury - the shops we are missing will move in once the shopping centre is extended.
And there are plenty of independent shops too that seem to co-exist well with the big chains. You don't just see the same shops that you see in every town around the country which I like.

#16 ·
Jonesy55 said:
Well, it's a town of 70,000, what do you want? What does Worcester have to offer that Shrewsbury should be looking at? I can only think of a couple of things.

1. A cathedral, but Shrewsbury has the Abbey and plenty of nice churches.

2. A professional Rugby club and County Championship cricket ground but Shrewsbury has a league football team to make up for that.

Apart from that I would say Shrewsbury is equal to or better for shopping, nightlife, restaurants, housing, transport, arts, architecture, parks, the river, tourism, jobs, schools etc etc.
Now you really are being daft

#18 ·
I heard recently that the big expanse of duel carriageway in between Shrewsbury and Telford was named one of the most boring stretches of road / motorway in the country. Man the amount of times I've nearly fallen asleep driving along there!

Shrewsbury certainly looks nice (once you're in the town centre) but I've never really wanted to spend more than a couple of hours there although it's good as a stopping off place when you're on your way to north Shropshire, mid and north Wales. Maybe this regeneration will help the town, but you don't want to attract TOO many people otherwise even more bland highways and byways will be built, creating yet another Telford.

#22 ·
Lord_Bertrum said:
I heard Shrewsbury is one of the most dangerous towns to go out at night in. Fights everywhere all the time, is that correct?
You are pretty likely to see a fight outside Liquid/Diva nightclub at 2am on a saturday night but apart from that there are only a few rough pubs including the Rock and Fountain as Brum tiddly un tum mentioned. If you don't go to those places (and there are plenty of other places to go) you are unlikely to see anything.

There are probably approaching 100 licensed premises in and around the town centre if you count all bars, pubs, restaurants and nightclubs and you'd be very unlikely to see any trouble in about 85 of them.

#25 ·
I live in Much Wenlock some of the time, and Ive gotta say that Shrewsbury is almost perfect. I'd prefer it without the 50s market building. The old tower was less eye catching but very harmoniously integrated with the character of the area. But i guess there are folk on this site who prefer Telford just cos its got a little skyscraper.