SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Osijek - Croatia

7K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  dejan 
#1 ·
Osijek - eastern Croatia

Osijek - eastern Croatia (Slavonia)

Osijek, the biggest and the capital city in Slavonia - eastern region of Croatia, is situated on the right bank of the river of Drava, 22 km from the mouth of the river of Danube. The right bank is a bit higher and because of that it provides a good protection from floods, a suitable crossing over the river of Drava. In the area of today’s city there were several archaeological sites from different pre-historic periods and cultures from earlier Stone Age, over Copper and Bronze to the Iron Age.
The city and its surrounding were also severly damaged in the homeland war for Croatia's independence (1991-1995)

Pics of Osijek :

old town - fortress

panorama part I.

panorama part II

:)

See less See more
#2 ·
Weird. If I didn't know this was a Croatian town I definately would have guessed it was somewhere in Poland. The layout, facades, tenaments, churches etc, everything is the same as in my country.

Very nice place, very "homey".

#3 ·
Well..thanks :) I dont think it is that weird, but i understand it though, cuz Croatia is mostly known by its coast. I would say that big majority of people think that this is only a Mediterrenean country which it is of course, but only a half of the country, the other half is very central European by culture, tradition, architecture etc.

#4 ·
Correct Bubach. Half of Croatia is very mediterannean, while the other half of Croatia is continental European. Osijek is a very beautiful city and its going thru some major changes. Considering the effect the war had on the city for many years. It was surrounded on 3 sides and was relentlessly bombed causing much damage.

There are many new projects comming up, including the Eurodom complex and the Esseker Centre.

#6 ·
long foot said:
Bubach, do you have any pic of Europska avenija in Osijek? It is famous because all houses there were built in secession style.

BTW I love Osijek cathedral. I would like to see the one like this in Zagreb.
I love Osijek catherdral too. I love large buildings constructed of brick. Its a pity that Serbian guns repeatedly fired upon the cathedral causing much damage like there was to the whole of Osijek.

Anyway, Bubach posted a pick of Europa Avenue, but he didnt label his pictures. This is his picture from above. It shows the beautiful row of sessionist town houses that line this street ....

#8 ·
Osijek - Slavonia (eastern Croatia)

OSIJEK, a city and port on the right bank of the Drava river, 25 km upstream of its confluence into the Danube in eastern Slavonia; elevation 94 m; population 104,761. Economic, traffic and cultural centre of Slavonia. Osijek consists of Gornji Grad (Upper Town), Tvrda, Donji Grad (Lower Town) and Novi Grad (New Town) (19th c.), as well as of Retfala. Major institutions in the city are: the University (established in 1975), the Croatian National Theatre, the Museum of Slavonia (established in 1877), the printing house from 1735, the gymnasium (grammar school) from 1729, the drawing school (19th c.), the Zoological Garden, the Centre for the Promotion of Livestock Breeding, the Institute for Sugar Beet Farming, etc

downtown :

Tvrdja - Fort :

;)

#10 ·
^ There are four churches. Which church from above reminds you of the one in Odzak? :)
Yeah, it is recoverning quite fast, although that couldnt be said for all Slavonian towns - areas. It still remains as the poorest region in the country.

Western and southern Slavonia are doing pretty good, though, but the east and Osijek have been atrociously neglected by our government; not to mention Beli Manastir in Baranja. In terms of economy, Slavonian GDP expressed in PPP is only 6.500 Euro - almost twice lower than Croatian average.

#11 ·
Very nice. I had no idea Osijek has such a tall tower, I'm pleasently surprised. But then perhaps it shouldn't be so close to the old town.

#12 ·
^ That tower is a hotel, was built like 20-25 years ago. As you can guess, at that time urban planning wasnt of high importance, so this explains why this hotel ended up in the 'wrong location' ;)

And it used to look like this :

..until a glass facade was put on it :

looks way more cool now, doesn't it ? :)

#13 ·
I allways wanted to visit Osijek, somehow it's Croatian city I know almost nothing about. And that's not typicall for me!

But I will probably visit it this summer :colgate:

And about the thread -> excellent! I think you showed us everything we needed to see to decide to visit Osijek!

#19 ·
Stevan said:
Very nice pictures, did u took them or ? :)
Of korz not, not a single picture was taken by myself. all 'stolen' from various sources :D
Some are like 4-5 years old if not older :)

#24 ·
Opatija, Kvarner, Croatia

Opatija, Kvarner, Croatia

OPATIJA, a town, harbour, tourist, summer and climatic resort on the foot of Mt. Ucka, situated at the eastern coast of Istria in the Rijeka Bay, 13 km southwest of Rijeka; population 9,073. The coastal region formed of limestone, in which Opatija lies, is protected from the north and northwest by Ucka. Climatic conditions are favourable, with relatively mild winters; the mean air temperature in January attains 4.7 °C, and in July 23.3 °C; 2,230 hours of sunshine a year. The whole narrow coastal strip is covered with evergreen vegetation; there are no loose soils or water springs. Ucka holds the moist air and clouds driven by the westerly winds, so that Opatija has lower rainfall and more hours of sunshine than Rijeka. The climate and the specific historic and geographic features favoured Opatija's rapid development. The completion of the railway Vienna - Trieste (1857) and the branch railroad from Pivka (then called Sent Peter) to Rijeka (1873) opened the way from Vienna to Opatija. The climatic advantages of Opatija were famous already in the first half of the 19th century. Chief occupation is tourism. The harbour consists of a pier and a protected basin. The inner part of it is protected from all winds except from those blowing from the first quadrant; the bora is moderate, blowing from the east; the sirocco and the easterly winds are rather strong and heave the sea. The outer part of the port is designed for larger vessels, and smaller vessels can land at the inner part. The anchoring ground lies 500 m off the coast, but is far from being safe during strong easterly and south-easterly winds.

;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.