SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Kings Dock Mill Phase 1 | Hurst Street | Hampton by Hilton Hotel/Apartments

58K views 216 replies 59 participants last post by  buggedboy 
#1 ·
Great news that we have another hotel to anchor this project.

Not the loveliest, but in the current climate, I've regressed somewhat into my pre-millenial "I don't care what it looks like, just damn well build it" desperation.

Second city Hilton for Baltic Triangle

Sep 11 2008 by Alex Turner, Liverpool Daily Post

LIVERPOOL’S second Hilton Hotel is to anchor a £47m development in the Baltic Triangle, which yesterday secured significant funding.

The Kings Dock Mill development will also include 188 apartments and 3,600 sq ft of office space.

Lloyds TSB Corporate Markets confirmed yesterday it had agreed to provide £22.5m to architect-developer LAG Prichard despite the ongoing economic uncertainty.

The scheme has already received £5m mezzanine funding from Investec Private Bank.

Jonathon Prichard, of Liverpool-based LAG Prichard, believes this agreement shows the confidence and strength within the city.

“This development is another sign of Liverpool’s continued renaissance – the fact that we secured funding for this scheme and can now start on site in the current market place shows its quality and the confidence we have in the city. We’ve worked closely with the city council and Liverpool Vision to ensure that the scheme is in keeping with the existing architecture in this area of Liverpool.”

The 151-bedroom hotel will be operated under the Hampton by Hilton brand, which is the firm’s vehicle to enter the economy hotel market. Hampton by Hilton Liverpool City is only the third to be commissioned in the UK, with others planned for Corby and Birmingham.

A Hilton spokesperson said: “Liverpool is a key location as we seek to introduce the Hilton family of hotels in the UK.”

It is part of Hilton’s ambition to double the number of hotels it has in the UK to 150 within a decade. It will be run as a franchise by Somerston Hotels.

The hotel is due to open at the end of 2009. The 1.5-acre Kings Dock Mill development, which is on the former site of flag manufacturers Porter Bros, is due to be completed in January 2010.

In July the Daily Post revealed how a neighbouring site at the Baltic Triangle is likely to be left semi-derelict for years after a marketing campaign to 800 developers failed to find a buyer.

The site, spanning The Strand and Hurst Street, was destined to be the first part of the development, a £50m high-rise apartment scheme.

Administrators were brought in to determine the future of the Baltic Triangle site last spring, after a legal wrangle between developers, Windsor Developments (Liverpool) and contractors Laing O’Rourke.

See less See more
#7 ·
Not the loveliest, but in the current climate, I've regressed somewhat into my pre-millenial "I don't care what it looks like, just damn well build it" desperation.
I know what you mean, but I'm trying not to regress to that state as that mindset is how we ended up with such architectural treats as the Doll's House and the Formule 1.

I said in another thread that I think a black/grey/white cladding scheme would have made this scheme look somewhat better, but I suppose based on the design as presented, the irregular form adds a little interest, but I'm still not 100% sold.

Away from the design, it's a great vote of confidence in the city that Hilton want to open another hotel here, despite the economic uncertainty, and even better that it's in the Baltic Triangle which has suffered from a lot of uncertainty of it's own. Ideally placed for the arena this one as well, which I'm sure much have had something to do with the decision to locate here. Just one thought. What is happening with those industrial sheds? They're not the most pleasant thing to look out over.

#8 ·
Away from the design, it's a great vote of confidence in the city that Hilton want to open another hotel here, despite the economic uncertainty, and even better that it's in the Baltic Triangle which has suffered from a lot of uncertainty of it's own. Ideally placed for the arena this one as well, which I'm sure much have had something to do with the decision to locate here. Just one thought. What is happening with those industrial sheds? They're not the most pleasant thing to look out over.

agree with that. not the best looking though.

#9 ·
I would have thought that they could still encourage developments there. In a better economic climate, we would have had all those approvals built, which wuold have done wonders for the area. As it is, this development will add to the area and hopefully encourage others to do so.

The lack of movement in the apartment market has meant that hotels, offices, maybe even college buildings etc could move into the area. This may in the end result in a more balanced community.

I assume that bizarre space cube block is the hotel. The lay by suggests a drop off point.

#13 ·
Doesn't look green in the renders.

If it turns out to be mint green in reality though, then this will be one of the ugliest new builds in the city.

That red brick is bloody relentless. They could have at least chucked in some sections of white render to break it up a bit.

#15 ·
I agree with JUXTY. It's certainly not subtle architecture and I think the render does it no favours. But I actually quite like it. I think it's quite a bold statement design wise, somewhere between retro and modern, and I think the large glass sections at the top save it from being 'just another red brick block'..

I also can't help but be pleased that they're actually building something here. The strand is becoming one of the cities best assets, so it needs to be lined with decent buildings. I think the days of being able to be picky about what developments we get where are well and truly over (and the planners scuppered most of the best offers we ever got anyway, so no real change then..)

I reckon this one will be a case of 'wait and see'..

#16 ·
Publicity, publicity, publicity, promotion, promotion, promotion......£££

Interesting that `Hilton` / `Hampton` are prepared to invest yet more whilst the first is not yet completed. With so many hotels looking for business they will have to continue to `market` to all types of business needs.

That should be encouraging.

#19 ·
So the crane has gone up on this development! Gladly I was not seeing this as I was walking down the strand. Good to see some movement on this one in the doom and gloom of the recent eceonomic times. This is quite a big development for that area and will make a good impact.

First one to get a picture of the crane wins a pint!

Lets update the crane count!

#29 ·
Unfortunately yes. Blame the architects!
not technically their fault, the developer stipulates what they want and in what budget and the architects have to make the best they can out of that, that said i wouldn't describe it as pig ugly. just rather forgettable. if people want to see what pig ugly really is they should be looking at the other budget hotels across the street a la ibis and camponile

#30 ·
not technically their fault, the developer stipulates what they want and in what budget and the architects have to make the best they can out of that, that said i wouldn't describe it as pig ugly. just rather forgettable. if people want to see what pig ugly really is they should be looking at the other budget hotels across the street a la ibis and camponile
On this project the developer and the architect is the same person - Jonathon Prichard.

#31 ·

I think that this building is ideal for its setting. It has the massing to reflect the scale of the Wapping Warehouses and restore a streetscape to the area following on from its former use as single storey factories. I also like its combination of brick and black glass - that gives it a modern urban feel. Totally agree about the Dolby, Ibis and Campanile hotels - this one is a breath of fresh air by comparison.

My only reservation is that the developers run out of money before it is completed.

#32 ·

I think that this building is ideal for its setting. It has the massing to reflect the scale of the Wapping Warehouses and restore a streetscape to the area following on from its former use as single storey factories.
I am afraid it will look like much other cheap tat built. Nothing at pavement level. The area was once shops and warehouses....

...which looked much nicer.

#35 ·
Just to update you all on some earlier posts:

The project is actually running behind programme and the Hotel is not due to be open until Spring 2010. At the same time as this 25% of the apartments will be handed over (45 No.).

The completion date is (at the minute) September 2010. The remainder of the apartments will be handed over in phases throughout 2010 with the last block of 45 being September - 190 in total

Planning is imminent for a further hotel and more apartments to be built on the Pilkington Glass site. The proposals are to close Tabley St (pedestrians only) and have a coffee shop/cafe with external seating.

The second crane (a luffing jib) will be erected in March/April 09. This crane has a 40m radius which is bigger than the current one. The crane will be a lot higher too!

There is a two storey car park in the basements with 65% of the parking being alloted to the hotel. So if your thinking of buying an apartment with a parking space think again as the developer has already sold nearly half of the apartments (allegedly)

Cheers
II

#37 ·
Thanks for the info II. Another hotel block on the Pilkington site? Is it the same developer? I'd normally be cynical that anything would get off the ground in the current climate, but the developer of Kings Dock Mill seems able to make his numbers stack up and get funding from the bankers, so anything is possible I suppose.

Is the Pilkington site being taken on by the same people?

#38 · (Edited)
The Pilkington site is currently being used by Bowmer & Kirkland as their site offices, storage & welfare facilities.

The idea (once planning is approved) is to demolish Pilks in about 18 months and then commence work on the newly formed site to coincide with the completion of Kings Dock Mill (official title).

So in answer to your question - Yes it is the same developer (Jonathon Prichard) but not necessarily the same contractor. Although in the current climate, it is a big carrot to dangle in front of B&K!!!

Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.