New York News: The City Desk

165K views 283 replies 32 participants last post by  Hudson11 
#1 · (Edited)
New York News:
The City Desk

Post NY news and pics here!

See less See more
#117 ·
DNAinfo: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...OQIbXQBxWNTvRi_kw&sig2=vwhl7TnZWiVBZ1PhCLksaQ

Bloomberg: "I Have My Own Army"

MANHATTAN — Now he can add another title to his name...general.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg took aim at Washington during a blistering speech at MIT Tuesday, basking in the unrivaled power that comes with running the biggest city in the country — including have an army of cops at his disposal.

The mayor also aimed his barbs at American teachers, saying that they're culled from "from the bottom 20 percent and not of the best schools."

“I have my own army in the NYPD, which is the seventh biggest army in the world,” the mayor said. “I have my own state department, much to Foggy Bottom’s annoyance. We have the United Nations in New York, and so we have an entrée into the diplomatic world that Washington does not have."

Read more: http://www.dnainfo.com/20111130/man...as-own-army-nypd-slams-teachers#ixzz1fd6DCflz

#122 ·
I can see their usefulness. with drones you could possibly phase out the use of police helicopters which are noisier, and more accident-prone. It would be an odd sight but one you could get used to.

#127 ·
Brooklyn Bridge crane accident

Sheet metal hangs from the Brooklyn Bridge after a crane being carried on a vessel struck the scaffolding attached to the underside, Monday, March 13, 2012, in New York. Officials say there doesn’t appear to be any structural damage to the bridge, which crosses the East River and connects Manhattan and Brooklyn.

Credit: ASSOCIATED PRESS

#134 ·
Macy's Evacuated Due To Basement Fire

Macy's flagship store in Herald Square was evacuated Wednesday afternoon after a fire erupted in the basement.

FDNY officials say there are no reports of injuries.

The call for the fire came in at about 3:30 p.m., and the main fire had been knocked down by 4 p.m.

It started in the cellar and spread to a contained area on the first floor, according to an FDNY official at the scene.

#137 ·
Hi, everybody! I am an Italian recent graduate in Venice and I would like to have a work experience as an intern in an architecture office in NYC. I especially would like to work on zero-energy and energy-plus buildings: any suggestions? Thank you in advance!
Google is your friend. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.