SkyscraperCity Forum banner

How often do you clean the lens on your camera?

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Hviid 
#1 ·
I get really irritated when I see a fingerprint on the lens (which happens ALOT). I'm afraid I'll damage it though. Does it really matter if there are some dust and fingerprints on the lens? If it does, how often do you guys clean it?

#2 ·
I know from personal experience that fingerprints have a HUGE impact on the images overall quality ... I actually thought there was something wrong with my camera when i first baught it, because all of my pictures turned out horrible, but then i found out that it was just a stupid fingerprint ... I say you should cleen the lens whenever it needs. I dont think it matters how often, but then again, i dont know too much about cameras or lenses ..
I've had my pentax for just about 1 month now, and i've cleaned it maybe, 2 or 3 times since ..

#3 ·
If there is dust on the lens you can try to blow it off with those little rubber pumps - not with dynamite etc..

If you have a fingerprint on the lens, use cotton wool with some isopropylalcohol to clean it. That doesn't damage the lens, but obviously you have to be careful, as all cameras are, after all, very sensitive devices.

Personally, I clean my camera lens when need be, sometimes more often if I've been uncareful.

#5 ·
mumbojumbo said:
I get really irritated when I see a fingerprint on the lens (which happens ALOT). I'm afraid I'll damage it though. Does it really matter if there are some dust and fingerprints on the lens? If it does, how often do you guys clean it?
Dust and fingerprints rarely show up in photos. But it does make sense to keep your lenses clean. You especially want to remove any type of film, which can reduce contrast.

#10 ·
mumbojumbo said:
Thanks for your responses.

Can I use like a regular lens cleaner (that you usually use on your glasses) to clean the lens?
Thats what i do. And so far it hasnt affected the camera at all in any way, so i would say it's safe to use. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.