SkyscraperCity Forum banner

West Street

37K views 220 replies 43 participants last post by  robhundall 
#1 · (Edited)
We've been discussing West street in various threads as there seems to be a fair amount of stuff going on even in these times, and there's new bars and shops opening up all the time.

Developments going on at the moment:

Leopold Square - Completed

Still waiting for that last unit to be taken, but the square is otherwise fully let and thriving.

NUM Development

The planning application was recently revised. This will have retail/bars/restaurants on the ground floor and government offices on the floor above. One of my favourite developments around at the moment. Hopefully this will kick off soon as they have a tenant for it.

Fountain Precinct Refurbishment

The refurbishment will include extended and refurbished office space, along with new retail space on the ground floor. This together with the NUM development should help to create another little retail corner to the city.

Spacepad

Recently started. Unfortunately this comprises of stupidly small studio apartments, however it does have some decent sized retail and bar units on the ground floor.

Other nearby developments include the RNIB building which as far as I have heard has recently picked up again and the MSCP on the old Assay Office site which apparently has equipment on site now.

Also 'Cow' the vintage store has recently opened, plus there's the curry place and the new sports bar that are due to open soon along with the possible convenience store next to where Listed was.

Other units that now need filling are the one that's been advertising Rileys for years and the Listed unit...

See less See more
#38 ·
Just me that thinks the bays look a bit on the weak side? Not so much the bays them selves, more the connections to the main building. Moment connections to what looks like a plate projected from the face of a column?(Correct me if i'm wrong)

I wouldn't've liked to design those...

#43 ·
Thought I'd drag this up from the bowels.

The Spacepad development seems to have ground to a halt, not seen any action there for a while.

The RNIB building seems to be finally nearing completion (from the outside!), all the cladding seems finished and there is glass fitted on the ground floor.

The site of the proposed multistorey on Portobello/Holland/Newcastle Street is nearly cleared (whether anything happens after that is anybodys guess).

Also, in the block that is home to Cow, La Mancha, Tequila et al is having another storey added on the side nearest West Street live, not sure who, or what for though (TMH knows more about this building I think)

#49 ·
Seeing as though not much is going on at the moment, I thought i'd drag this one up again!

The Spacepad development has been recieving some attention over the past few weeks with the most pathetic crane in attendance!

The road in front of the RNIB building has been cleared and resurfaced, the building looks like its about ready.

The demolition team on the Holland/Newcastle/Portobello St car park site have gone and have now been replaced by a piling rig and associated equipment.

And, the City Plaza re-furbishment started this week.

#52 ·
Thought I'd drag the West Street thread up this morning only to find that it had been over a year since it was last dragged up by some idiot.

Anyway, it seems that the developer of the Spacepad 'development' has gone bust and the site is now for sale.

See you next year!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.