SkyscraperCity Forum banner

VANCOUVER | Projects & Construction

Tags
vancouver
363K views 705 replies 169 participants last post by  hkskyline 
#1 · (Edited)
Vancouver, Canada

Canada's most beautiful city has more in common with San Francisco than Toronto. Despite it being very wet it's a prime location for Hollywood film shoots -the setting is spectacular. Ocean and mountains form a dramatic backdrop to the gleaming commercial towers of downtown where you'll find spectacular restaurants and cafe's after a 'swim-in-the-morning', 'ski-in-the-afternoon' day. Trace the city's history in Gastown and Chinatown, savour the wilderness only blocks from the city centre in Stanley Park and dine on superb ethnic or Pacific Northwest cuisine before sampling those clubs and bars.

Trump Tower Vancouver
Estimated Completion: 2014
Height: 616'

The Maddox
Estimated Completion: N/A
Height: 323'

Rogers Tower West
Height: 343'

MNP Tower
Height: 470'

1134 Burrard
Height: 175'

Salt
Height: 320'

175 Robson
Height: 205'

Telus Gardens
Height: 459', 330'

999 Seymour
Height: 206'

745 Thurlow
Height: 306'

Burrard Gateway
Height: 547', 371'

Burrard Gateway
Height: 184'

1300 Richards
Height: 400'

Tate on Howe
Height: 375'

1400 Howe St.
Height: 492'

Panorama
Height: N/A

Murray Hotel
Height: 184'

508 Helmcken
Height: 320'

The Exchange
Height: 392'

Modern
Height: 154'

Rogers Tower East
Height: 343'

1090 West Pender
Height: 403'

Rogers Tower South
Height: 334'

The Harwood
Height: 277'

One Pacific

960-882 Howe
Height: 200'

320 Granville St
Height: 390'

1754 Pendrell
Height: 190'

1061 Broughton
Height: 200'

750 Pacific Blvd.
Height: 287', 287'

1107 Seymour
Height: 155'

The Charleson
Height: 410'

The Views
Height: 151'

1335 Howe
Height: 360'

753 Seymour
Height: 403'

601 West Hastings
Height: 357'

901 Pacific
Height: 280'
Rendering Currently Unavailable

1278 Granville

99 West Pender

401 Helmcken
Height: 253'

Creekside Park

1157 Burrard

601 West Cordova
Height: 417'

Last Updated: January 23, 2014

See less See more
#109 · (Edited)
Vancouver updates, January 15th, February 4th and 13th, 2008

January 15th, 2008

L'Hermitage ( mixed-use condo, hotel, social housing, grocery store, and retail, Robson and Richards)

(My photo, taken January 15th, 2008)

Raffles on Robson (mixed-use condo and retail, Robson and Cambie)

TV Towers (2 towers, mixed-use condo and retail, Robson and Cambie)

Atelier (mixed-use condo, retail, office, daycare, Robson and Homer)

H+H (mixed-use condo and retail, Homer and Helmcken)

Yaletown Brewing Office Addition (Mainland and Helmcken)

Renos on an office bldg at Homer and Nelson

The Donovan (condo, Richards and Nelson)

1022 Living (mixed-use condo and office, Seymour and Nelson)

Dolce & Vita (2 towers, mixed-use condo and retail, Seymour and Smithe)

Capitol Residences (mixed-use condo, music school, and retail, Seymour and Robson)

Ritz-Carlton (600ft twisting tower, mixed-use hotel-condo, Georgia and Bute)

Shangri-La (650ft tower, city’s tallest, mixed-use hotel-condo-retail-gallery, Georgia and Thurlow)

Flatiron (mixed-use condo and retail, Pender and Melville)

North elevation as seen from West Pender St.

The Ritz (mixed-use condo and retail, Pender and Bute)

The Coast Hotel (Hotel, Pender and Bute)

Jameson House (Norman Foster-designed mixed-use condo and office tower, Pender and Howe)

Fairmont Pacific Rim (mixed-use hotel and condo, Burrard and Cordova)

Vancouver Convention Centre Expansion (Burrard and Canada Place Way?)

Canada Line Waterfront Station (Granville and Cordova) (I had my camera on panorama mode and thus the vertical horizontal distortion)

Woodwards (2 towers, mixed-use condo, Simon Fraser University campus, office, retail, and social housing, West Hastings and Abbot)

33 Pender (condos, Pender and Abbot)

Espana (2 towers, mixed-use condo and retail, beside the Stadium-Chinatown SkyTrain stn)

Bowman Lofts (?) (Beatty and West Pender)

Cooper's Quay (4 towers, condos, Cambie Bridgehead)

Olympic Village (16 buildings, mixed-use condo, retail, community centre, social housing, senior’s housing, marina, streetcar line, grocery store, etc., etc., Southeast False Creek)

Foundry (condos, Southeast False Creek)

The Rise (mixed-use condo and large-format retail, Cambie and 7th)

Crossroads (mixed-use office, condo, restaurants, large-format, retail, Cambie and West Broadway)

Stella (mixed-use condo and large format retail (auto dealership), 12th and Kingsway)

One Kingsway (mixed-use community centre, retail, and rental apartments, Kingsway and 7th)

Now walking back along Broadway to Cambie and then down to the Olympic Village.

West Broadway and Main Street, looking North.

West Broadway at Quebec street, looking west. The SkyTrain Millennium Line will be extended in phases under Broadway to the University of British Columbia (UBC) over the next 12 years. Central Braodway is ahead and it is the second densest concentration of jobs in British Columbia after the downtown core.

Looking south up Quebec street. The articulated diesel bus is part of the #99 B-Line bus rapid transit line that runs along Broadway out to UBC from the major transit hub at Commercial Drive and East Broadway. The #99 B-Line exclusively uses 120-passenger articulated diesel buses with as little as two or three minutes of headway. It currently carries in excess of 70,000 passengers per day and it will be replaced in phases by construction of the above-mentioned extension of the SkyTrain Millennium Line next decade.

Looking north down Quebec street for a glimpse of part of the downtown core.

West Broadway and Cambie Street looking south, just north of City Hall. The enormous construction project is part of the new SkyTrain Canada Line that will connect the city of Vancouver to its southern neighbour Richmond and to the Vancouver International Airport.

Looking north along Cambie Street towards downtown Vancouver. The pit in front is part of the abovementioned SkyTrain Canada Line.

West Broadway experiences a major bottleneck at Cambie street due to the SkyTrain Canada Line construction. It goes from a total of six lanes down to two. The bus-only lanes are forefitted in the intersection and the buses must merge with regular traffic. The bus to the left is one of our new 77-passenger electric trolley buses.

Because of the construction on Cambie it is easier to walk a block east or west of the street when heading north towards the Cambie Street Bridge and downtown. This is at Yukon and 7th. The second building to the left is called The Rise and it is a mixed-use building housing three large format retailers (Home Depot, Winners clothing, and Save on Foods), and a number of rental condos on the upper floors. The building further ahead on the left is also a new building. It houses two large format retailers, Canadian Tire and Best Buy.

Another shot of The Rise.

Ivy is being encouraged to grow up a blank cement wall of the Canadian Tire building. Every new building is expected to have a landscaping plan and the developer pays for the public realm improvements associated with construction of a new building. Some of these improvements include new wider sidewalks, new street trees, etc.

Looking south along Cambie Street. The Rise is on the left and the new public realm it is supplying is taking shape. In the centre up the street is the Canada Line construction. The building on the right is called Crossroads and it is a mixed-use building incorporating a medium-sized office building that will be the corporate headquarters for Yoga wear maker Lululemon, 88 condos, a Whole Foods grocery store, a Royal Bank, and a number of restaurants.

The Cambie Street Bridge is down to two lanes from its previous six in order to make room for the construction of the Canada Line. Pedestrian and cycling access is unaffected.

Looking east at Second Avenue and Cambie towards the Olympic Village construction precinct in Southeast False Creek (SEFC). Most of the Olympic Village surrounding SEFC neighbourhood will be built to about the same approximate height as the building on the right in this photo, which is about 90 feet in height. There will be a number of buildings that reach slightly taller and others, obviously, will be shorter.

Another shot of the Southeast False Creek neighourbood, this time looking east from the Cambie Street Bridge deck. The brick building on the right is being restored and converted to lofts. A streetcar line, Vancouver's first in more than 50 years, will run down First, below, and connect to SkyTrain to the east and Granville Island to the west. Additional phases are planned.

A couple of shots of the Olympic Village showing the mass of cranes.

These folks (below) across False Creek in Yaletown are getting some new neighbours to the east of the Cambie Street Bridge.

These new towers are being built by Concord Pacific in the Cooper’s Quay precinct. Behind them is BC Place, home of the BC Lions football franchise and the site of the opening and closing ceremonies of the 2010 Winter Olympics.

Things are moving along for the Olympic Village itself. Construction continued through the worst of winter without disruption. The weather is fine again, the snow has melted, and the first flowers are starting to bud. It has become a pretty busy place. 12 tower construction cranes are building the 16 buildings, the first of which is about three storeys above ground. The remainder is all below- or at- grade.

The following several shots of the new man-made marine habitat island. The very small bay to the left is where the daylighted stream will empty into False Creek. There are dozens of streams running under Vancouver, all of which were filled in or buried in sewers more than a hundred years ago. One is being daylighted and deeply integrated into the landscaping of the Olympic Village. The elementary school will be right beside it and children can be expected to play on its banks and run across its pedestrian bridges.

The new Seawall features separated pedestrian and bicycle/wheeled vehicle paths, a number of boardwalks that feature recovered wood from the old industrial piers on the site, and an inlet with pedestrian bridge adjacent a piazza and the community centre. A marina for non-motorized boats (Dragon Boat war canoes, kayaks, etc.) will be adjacent.

February 4th

The Ritz

(My photo, taken February 4th, 2008)

The retail podium is turning out quite nice. Is there a specific term for the small "rims" of concrete that protrude out above and beside the window? I like it. I also the like the sloping glass on the second floor and the crisp cornice line it creates. Also, note that the wrapping is being taken off of the red panels. Some of the wrapping was torn off of the building during our last wind storm to reveal a sort of ruddy red colour but thankfully the real red is better.

Red panel detail and that nice glass on the Pender elevation.

The retail podium along Bute. Imagine living in the condo beside those big HVAC units on the roof of the podium. I bet that "view" was not in the sales brochure.

Lastly, a shot of the Ritz and the Flatiron. It isn't the greatest picture. I don't know how to get the most out of my camera on days like this when it is bright outside but overcast.

Flatiron

Woodwards' W43 Tower
Looking east from the pedestrian bridge at Granville and Cordova.

Jameson House
Pender street elevation. The two heritage buildings are fully braced now. The cream coloured one on the left is only having its facade preserved while the old mining museum building beside it is being saved in its entirety.

Detail of the bracing and I guess a nice promo BelPacific (For all your excavation and shoring needs, call BelPacific today!)

Why is BelPacific on site? Because there is excavation underway. Finally. For real this time.

Shangri-La
Looking south on Thurlow.

The "box" near the top of the tower now has glass on two of the two-storey floors.

The now-classic flatiron view.

Looking south from Harbour Green Park. The other two buildings under construction are The Ritz and The Flatiron.

Fairmont Pacific Rim

Vancouver Convention Centre Expansion
From Canada Place.

Looking north from the driveway of the Shaw Tower. The Fairmont Pacific Rim is to the right.

Looking northeast from the walkway to Harbour Green Park.

Looking east from Harbour Green Park.

For comparison, I took the following picture in late spring last year.

(My photo, taken June 29th, 2007)

February 13th

Pure

(My photo, February 13th, 2008)

Patina

That's a deep pit. The guy at the bottom gives one a sense of scale.

Shangri-La

Canada Line Waterfront Station Switch

Woodwards

Vancouver Convention Centre Expansion

Fairmont Pacific Rim

#110 ·
WOW! Thanks for explained about every projects that are happening in Vancouver BC. I love these projects. I wish that they would change the code so these skyscrapers can be more colorful. I think these existing skyscrapers are fine but all they can just add some colors on it.

Do you have the rendering of Winter Olympic Game 2010 site? I don't think I seen it before.

#111 ·
Thanks for the positive feedback. The photo tour is far from exhaustive and it only covers what is going on in the downtown core and part of West Broadway. There are still a whole lot of towers and mid-rises going up at the University of British Columbia, Simon Fraser University, the City of Richmond, Surrey, Burnaby, Coquitlam, New Westminster, North Vancouver, Port Moody, Port Coquitlam, White Rock, and the half dozen municipalities up the Fraser Valley. I would figure I managed to photograph a fifth or maybe a sixth of the projects that are underway in Metro Vancouver, not including low- and mid-rise residential and commercial buildings. It is quite the boom.

The Olympic Venues:

Vancouver Athlete's Village

Olympic Speed Skating Oval

UBC Winter Sports Facility (links to SkyScraperPage.com)

Olympic International Broadcasting Centre

BC Place Stadium (links to SkyScraperPage.com)

SkyTrain Canada Line (ready in time for the Olympics, not an explicitly Olympic project)

#123 · (Edited)
There is plenty of greenery and parks but the city could use some improvement when it comes to large plazas/squares. The city's premiere square is Robson Square. It is a space with a lot of potential but because of a somewhat poor design it doesn't work so great at providing space for large events/gatherings despite being in a very high pedestrian traffic area. Essentially it is an over-landscaped space that looks great but doesn't provide the large, visible, flexible area that the city really requires of it. Some improvements are being made to it at the moment however which should help but likely won't be too radical. And related to yet separate from Robson Square is the Georgia Street plaza out front of the Vancouver Art Gallery:

Some other larger plaza space would be part of the Vancouver Public Library. It has a great interior courtyard, and a north and south plaza outside. The south one is a great space but not really big enough to serve as a major city square. The north one is a good size and flexible space but the area surrounding it is a little underutilized in terms of development so it doesn't generate a ton of use itself. I'm sure that'll change somewhat as parcels surrounding it get redeveloped into forms that generate more traffic.

Aside from those two areas that come immediately to mind, there are various other, smaller spots as well - like the BC Place concourse, Granville Square, the Harbour Green Park plaza and waterpark, and probably some other obvious spots I can't think of at the moment. And of course the seawall that wraps around downtown and beyond is a great public space that gets a lot of use.

VPL south plaza:

Granville Square:

Harbour Green Park:

There will be a nice new waterfront plaza as part of the convention centre expansion. It should be a great space and being tied into the seawall it should get some decent pedestrian traffic. Another potential new plaza could be along False Creek - tied into the upcoming waterfront Vancouver Art Gallery development. We'll also be getting a new plaza with the Olympic Village currently u/c that will form the heart of the up-and-coming Southeast False Creek neighbourhood. The Woodward's development in the Downtown Eastside will also have an interior courtyard.

Convention Centre:

from bcit.ca

from globalairphotos.com

by ttcopley at flickr.com

Art Gallery concept:

from timescolonist.com

Olympic Village:

If you want to see any images of the many parks/greenery around downtown just let me know.

#126 ·
What ^he said. Also, it is somewhat of a common misconception that it's the largest. It's definitely one of the biggest in NA but I believe there are a few larger ones. But yes I would've got into the parks/greenery aspect but I felt my post was big enough as it was. I can post some info on the parks a bit later. No time now. :)

#128 ·
Last Updated: September 07, 2008

Vancouver, Canada

Canada's most beautiful city has more in common with San Francisco than Toronto. Despite it being very wet it's a prime location for Hollywood film shoots -the setting is spectacular. Ocean and mountains form a dramatic backdrop to the gleaming commercial towers of downtown where you'll find spectacular restaurants and cafe's after a 'swim-in-the-morning', 'ski-in-the-afternoon' day. Trace the city's history in Gastown and Chinatown, savour the wilderness only blocks from the city centre in Stanley Park and dine on superb ethnic or Pacific Northwest cuisine before sampling those clubs and bars.

Wow ! Vancouver is Amazing

#131 · (Edited)
I didn't get the impression he was being condescending. He was really just helping me out. But anywho, no hard feelings all around I hope? :)

Anyways, I thought I'd post some info on parks/greenery now. I'll just focus on the downtown peninsula otherwise this could be a very long post... but I'll just add that the city and metro has small and huge parks interspersed all through it from urban pocket parks to effective nature preserves. Also, as soon as you travel about 30 mins north of downtown you're essentially in open wilderness as there are undevelopable mountains that stretch on and on complete with bears and every other form of native wildlife which often wander into the northern suburbs. Even just a month ago in the southern-most suburbs (South Surrey) I saw a deer wandering through a decades old subdivision. Other common wildlife that can be spotted within the city and metro are raccoons, coyotes, opossums, beavers, and a ridiculous amount of bald eagles.

Alright, now back to downtown. The largest green space by far on the downtown peninsula is Stanley Park. It rivals the built-up area of downtown in size and contains things from man-made attractions like the Vancouver Aquarium to dense conifer forest and beaches. It is one of the largest urban parks in the world, and is definitely one of the largest that actually abuts a downtown (it actually borders one of the densest urban neighbourhoods in North America - The West End).

by crazyscot @flickr.com

Aquarium entrance

by hobbes8calvin @flickr.com

by moknits @flickr.com

by me

by me

by me

by me

by me

by me

by me

by me

by me

by me

by me

The Second Beach Pool

by me

Second Beach

by me

I'll post on some smaller downtown parks a bit later.

#135 ·
Here is a bit of a construction update done by Delirium at SSP:

here's a bunch of pics i took this morning. crappy lighting outside.. sorry bout that.

1022 living. i like the dark glass on the commercial podium.

vita

Atelier. i love the podium. it's huge and has a big impact along homer..

woodward's

cbc redevelopment

tv towers

i like the grey stone being installed. this will be a waterfall when complete

Raffles - robson street frontage

Raffles - cambie frontage

renovated building in yaletown

Donovan

notice the balcony railings? blah. but the stone base is nice. didn't expect that.

looks like reno's are starting at the best western on granville

granville street

on a sunny day..

all photos by me

#136 · (Edited)
We've also got a another (our 4th) metro ("SkyTrain") line starting up construction:

Thanks to deasine for the following info...
deasine said:

What is the Evergreen Line Project?
The Evergreen Line is a new rapid transit line that connects Coquitlam Town Centre to Vancouver via Port Moody and Burnaby, starting at Lougheed Town Centre Station in Burnaby and ending near Douglas College in Coquitlam.

The Evergreen Line will be a fast, frequent and convenient SkyTrain service, connecting Coquitlam Town Centre through Port Moody to Lougheed Town Centre in approximately 13 minutes. The Evergreen Line will seamlessly connect to the current SkyTrain network, including the Expo, Millennium and Canada Lines, and will integrate with regional bus and West Coast Express networks.

The Evergreen Line is an essential element of The Provincial Transit Plan and the federal Building Canada Plan.

Route Alignment
The Evergreen Line will run north from Lougheed Town Centre on an elevated track along North and Clarke Roads, before entering a tunnel in the vicinity of Como Lake Avenue and emerging near Barnet Highway north of Clarke Road in Port Moody. Through Port Moody, the route will travel at-grade on the south side of the Canadian Pacific (CP) Rail lines before transitioning to the north side near the Port Moody/Coquitlam boundary. The Evergreen Line will continue next to the CP Rail lines to the West Coast Express Station in Coquitlam and will then run on an elevated track along Pinetree Way, ending near Douglas College in Coquitlam.

Stations
The Evergreen Line will have six primary stations: Lougheed, Burquitlam, Port Moody/West Coast Express, Ioco, Coquitlam/West Coast Express and Coquitlam City Hall/Douglas College.

These stations will drive system ridership growth by serving major destinations, connecting existing population and employment centers, and integrating with the existing transit network.

These station locations will promote use by ensuring the line is fast, convenient and competitive with other travel choices.

Up to two additional station locations along the Evergreen Line may be considered based on their ability to shape land use, stimulate increased system ridership through transit oriented development, and be affordable.

Project Goals

Provide fast, frequent and convenient rapid transit from Coquitlam to Vancouver
via Port Moody and Burnaby
  • Provide rapid transit for the communities of Burnaby, Vancouver, New Westminster, Coquitlam, Port Moody, Port Coquitlam, Anmore and Belcarra

Improve the transportation network throughout Metro Vancouver
  • Integrate travel modes and provide connectivity to the wider transit network
  • Seamlessly connect with the current SkyTrain network

Increase transportation choice
  • Support a reduction in auto use by providing an alternative to single occupancy vehicles
  • Increase transit mode share
  • Increase transit capacity in the Northeast sector
  • Ensure speed and reliability of the system
  • Support growth management

Support municipal growth management targets established by the region’s Livable Region Strategic Plan
  • Contribute to community building by stimulating future concentrated and mixed-use development
  • Support existing development and provide support for a positive business environment

Support environmental sustainability initiatives
  • Support provincial environmental goals by reducing regional car trips
  • Meet regional and local environmental objectives to preserve green space
  • Encourage pedestrian traffic along corridor
Source: Evergreen Line Website, Ministry of Transportation

PROJECT OFFICE OPENING LAUNCHES EVERGREEN LINE
COQUITLAM – Construction of the Evergreen Line is taking a major step forward with the opening of the Evergreen Line Project Office, announced Transportation and Infrastructure Minister Kevin Falcon, federal Canadian Heritage and Official Languages Minister James Moore and TransLink CEO
Tom Prendergast today.

“The Evergreen Line will vastly improve transit options for people in Metro Vancouver’s northeast quadrant,” said Falcon. “It will also be a big boost to the region’s economy, providing over 8,000 direct and indirect jobs.”

“The Evergreen Sky Train extension will improve the quality of life of Tri-City residents by creating more transportation choices, cutting traffic, and by reducing pollution,” said Moore. “Our government is proud to be a partner in this project.”

Using SkyTrain technology, the 11-kilometre Evergreen Line will link neighbourhoods in Burnaby, Port Moody and Coquitlam and be fully integrated into the existing system, connecting directly onto the Millennium Line at Lougheed Station.

“Not only is the Tri-Cities area growing, we know that it’s the destination for a third of the commuters that today drive across the Port Mann Bridge from the South of Fraser,” said Prendergast.

“The Evergreen Line, linking to a new RapidBus service from Highway 1 at the Lougheed Station, has huge potential to attract substantial numbers of people from cars to rapid transit.”

The Evergreen Line will provide fast and frequent service to downtown Vancouver – improving the transit network throughout Metro Vancouver and facilitating economic growth and regional job creation. The Project Office will advance the Evergreen Line Project through design and construction
and will provide the public with the opportunity to learn more about the project, meet with staff, and give feedback and input as design and construction proceeds. Construction of the Evergreen Line is scheduled to begin in late 2010 and be completed in late 2014.

The Evergreen Line is jointly funded by the Government of Canada (up to $416.7 million), the Government of British Columbia ($410 million) and TransLink ($400 million). Approximately $350 million of the federal contribution is from the Building Canada Fund. The $1.4-billion project is a key component of the Provincial Transit Plan.
Source: The Government of British Columbia - http://evergreenline.gov.bc.ca/documents/NewsReleases/nr_ELPO_final_Feb28_09.pdf

Video Articles
Global TV BC: http://canwest.a.mms.mavenapps.net/...8e60a971d5a69e38&maven_referralObject=3738868