SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Molineux Redevelopment | Wolverhampton | 40,000+ | Phase 1 Completed

2M views 10K replies 240 participants last post by  BlackCountryAl 
#1 ·
Shock plans for Molineux rebuild

Molineux could be completely rebuilt under ambitious plans to increase its capacity to 40,000 plus.

Wolves owner Steve Morgan wants to make the stadium a more intimidating venue for the opposition and create a hotel as part of the grand scheme.

The Molineux chairman was today meeting with chief executive Jez Moxey and architects as part of a series of meetings to form plans.

“We have a 10-year masterplan to develop the club as we want,” said Mr Morgan. “I want to get the crowd closer to the pitch so that the opposition are terrified when they come to our ground.

“Jez and I are meeting with architects today, in fact, to see what we can do. We have a competition going with them to see who can come up with the best proposals.”

It is understood Mr Morgan favours a rebuild of all four stands with an increased capacity on the current 28,500 limit.

Another option would be to lower the pitch to create another tier of seating.

Mr Morgan said: “What has really got to me is just how much of a bond there is with the supporters.

“Now we want to kick on. We are all passing through but I want my reign to be remembered as successful.” Wolves play their final League game on Sunday when they host Plymouth, a game they must win to have any chance of making the end of season play-offs, where a place in the Premier League is at stake.

Should Wolves join Albion in the Premier League by winning promotion through the play-offs, they would be guaranteed £62m and demand to see the team would go through the roof.

Three sides of Molineux were rebuilt by former owner Sir Jack Hayward between 1991-94 for a cost of around £10m.

Sir Jack built a £5m Billy Wright Stand and new North and South Banks at a cost of £2.5m each, while what is now the Steve Bull Stand was refurbished.

See less See more
#8,262 ·
Molineux will always look better than other stadiums, even if they were built exactly the same. The old gold really lends itself well to architecture, probably because it's close to being a neutral sandy colour, whereas red and blue not only fade badly but contrast too much to begin with. Could you imagine a big red monstrocity in the middle of Waterloo Road?

#8,263 ·
From the Wolves Fans Parliament Meeting the other day

Tom Bate enquired about where the stadium redevelopment plans stood and asked: “What on earth are we going to do to get more fans in the ground?” Jez said: “Nothing has changed regarding the redevelopment. The way to get more in is to win more games, score more goals and play attractive football.” Tom believed the apathy factor was big in Wolverhampton, stating: “Fans who have been here for decades can’t be bothered any more. “ He was told by the Chief Executive: “That’s our biggest fear. We are creating loads of initiatives but we know relationships have been damaged but believe they can be rebuilt.”

#8,267 · (Edited)
Like I've said before, you Wolves fans for the last 5 years or more are content to put up with 2nd rate promise's from the higher archie of this great club and are..

All falling for Moxey and Morgan's emperors new clothes :nuts:

Like the latest club financial statement. Pulling the wool over your eyes..
Announcing it deliberately early and missing out the transfers of Fletcher, Jarvis and Kighty 24 to £25 million

You're lucky Gouldy to keep having the hard earned money not doubt, to keep going and supporting the club. Only to keep filling the pockets of Moxey and Morgan, with their false promise's. ie. After MM departed a quality premiership manager and we ended up with clip board TC. Then a new stand with a big video screen.. and end up with not even one working at all in the ground??

#8,278 ·
Jay Jay Joy said:
Like I've said before, you Wolves fans for the last 5 years or more are content to put up with 2nd rate promise's from the higher archie of this great club and are..

All falling for Moxey and Morgan's emperors new clothes :nuts:

Like the latest club financial statement. Pulling the wool over your eyes..
Announcing it deliberately early and missing out the transfers of Fletcher, Jarvis and Kighty 24 to £25 million

You're lucky Gouldy to keep having the hard earned money not doubt, to keep going and supporting the club. Only to keep filling the pockets of Moxey and Morgan, with their false promise's. ie. After MM departed a quality premiership manager and we ended up with clip board TC. Then a new stand with a big video screen.. and end up with not even one working at all in the ground??
As opposed to ambitious owners like the venkis or Carson young? (spellings sorry?)
I'm sure brum & blackburn fans would swap!

Ask your self why are you pissed about wolves?
How much fun did we have every week up there?
For me this season has at the minimum NOT been one where every single match I'm expecting a battering.
This year at least i have a little optimism on route to a game these days!

#8,281 ·
Some negativity on here by some !

Wolves as a club has so much going for it and I for one am happy with the long term plans of the Morgan and Moxey. Yes its disappointing that we went down, but we did and life goes on. If I am honest I am more excited following the club now than last season where we were obviously struggling.

I think most clubs are living in some sort of dream world where they spend more than they earn and that is another reason that I support our sensible approach. Maybe some people on here think ambition means spending more that you can afford. Its always easy to criticise when it involves spending someone else's (or a clubs money) or when you can blame others for making bad decisions after the event. I would rather we stayed solvent while increasing other revenue streams.

As for other broken promises like video screens. Well, who said that they would be installed on completion of one stand ? I never heard that. Yes they are on the renderings of the proposed 3 sides of the redevelopment so maybe that will be also be the best time to install them. i.e. 2 matching screens. I would really not like it if we got one now and later had one at the other end that looked different because of obsolescence / new models etc. Better to be patient and wait, after all we have not had one for such a long time anyway.

#8,283 · (Edited)
Exactly! Other older grounds in the lower league clubs, have them all WORKING! What's the point of them being there otherwise?
Maybe it's because of the mainly drivel football played over the past 2 or more seasons ..
With how many home wins? M & M don't won't to see the drivel repeated on big screens, do they :lol:

Stale is saying he will be given money to spend to strengthen the team in January? Maybe 2 or 3 million? That's why Mr Morgan won't invest in new screens also. Tight a$$ with all £24 million from summer sales, plus all the houses built in Compton for £££££millions in his pockets :lol:

Thousands will still fall for the early bird again for next season no doubt too.

Seasons Greetings :cheers:

#8,293 ·
I'm not championship generation, I ashamedly only really started to follow the Wolves when they went up into the Premiership the time before last. Even so, I still don't think being in the championship is the ultimate shame. It's bad, yes, worse than being in the Premiership, but it's far better than they could be, and we seem to be doing relatively well if we can pick it up a little in the last few games before the break.

#8,297 ·
Jay Jay Joy said:
YES ON THE CHEAP AGAIN!
Just look at those players against the others. Like for like?
Maybe Sako is the only one that will in years to come be better than Jarvis?
Doumbia, Siggy they paid around 2 to 3 million so x 10 it's gonna take that much yes just to replace all the dead wood and get a decent team now.
Remember with Fletcher Jarvis Knightly and all. The end of last season we did not win a game in 15. So you don't have to be Sir Alex or Brian Clough to see the complete team what was left, needs to be rebuilt and changed but with quality ;)

What also did Mr Moxey do for the new manager pre-season. Waiting right until the end to get the best price for the fore mentioned players. Leaving Stale only the rest of the league one standard players to work with, barring his new buys.

Stale has done a very good job considering the muppets he has to work with.

Did you see the Wolves vs Honved on BBC TV Local News tonight..
Wolves were classed as one of the best teams IN THE WORLD in the '50's! with 55,000 in attendance

Now supports are content for mediocracy in the championship and a chairman that will build MAYBE a quality new stadium. But not pay for and build a quality new team.

CART BEFORE THE HORSE ..
Just like in the 1980's when they built the John Ireland Stand. :bash:

Sir Jack sold the club to Mr Morgan for £10 on the promise he'd pay £millions to build a quality team not a new ground!
Mmmmmm not quite right
John ireland stand was opened in 1979.
It single handedly nearly destroyed the club.
Its a great example of how "ambition" cam kill a club
Not the price of building the stand but the cost of buying the land & houses up that surrounded the ground at the time.

Some of us have been to Chorley & back so dont claim we lack ambition!

To make the club competitive isnt done over night with big money signings, its done over many years of slow building, same as a wall, it needs foundations!

#8,298 · (Edited)
Mmmmmm not quite right
John ireland stand was opened in 1979.
It single handedly nearly destroyed the club.
Its a great example of how "ambition" can kill a club
Not the price of building the stand but the cost of buying the land & houses up that surrounded the ground at the time.

To make the club competitive isnt done over night with big money signings, its done over many years of slow building, same as a wall, it needs foundations!
Sir Jack built great foundations and a ground that would still be one of the best today bar Brighton in the championship.
NO NEED TO CHANGE THAT!
Yes Brighton done it the right way. Like we did in the late 80's to 90's.

We are going in the other direction this time though on the playing field that is. Or have we just turned the corner?

#8,307 ·
gouldy said:
Now; referring others to the question I asked at the end of my previous post:
A question i was asked today & was hoping to get some help from the scrapers!

Additionally, for those north bankers who have been upper & lower tier any preference for me when the steve bull comes down?
Ive done a game in both tiers but quite frankly they were poor games so its hard to judge & i'll be there for a year or two...

#8,308 ·
DBadger said:
For the record, Morgan bought the club for £1 promising investment of £10m, which he did deliver.
I'm pretty sure it was £10, and that's now on display in the museum. The investment agreed being 30 million.

Not important but just stating.

Has anyone heard any more rumblings on the SB stand? Rumours were rife a few weeks back with subsidence issues etc.

#8,316 ·
Gouldy, along with Messi, have done more than anyone to contribute to this thread taking time out to to take photos of the development. Their input outshone that of the official Molineux Pride site.

Gouldy has always come across as objective and reasonable in his replies and on many occasions shown more restraint than most.

The above comment is both unnecessary and immature.

Keep up the good work Gouldy and hope you're around for the rest of the development.

#8,320 ·
If that's the way you and Yam.ie see it, Jay Jay Joy; then that's fine, it is, honestly, of little concern to me. I am not here to change people's opinions of my personality; I'm here to discuss the Molineux redevelopment. It would be seriously awesome if we could continue doing just that.

#8,322 ·
What's theirs like, though? Ours is (and will be) fairly nice and modern looking, especially that new building, which looks great - it'll all sit very nicely next to a newly built Steve Bull and North Bank, with the newly terrained ground in between them also. Could be a very good representation of the city to visiting football fans in the future.

#8,323 ·
It's a distinctive building, set on the opposite side of an area of water that used to be a dock. There is a bridge linking the ground with the campus, and a large art piece and some reclaimed parts of the former dock nearby. This is not the best photo, but is representative of the view from outside the main stand. By the way, if you are up there for a game, there is good parking for £2 at the college. Wouldn't recommend going for a game as a Wolves fan though, it's been 61 years since we won there, and having watched the stupid penalty decision happen right in front on me, I can see why!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/ba/Middlesbrough_College_from_the_River_Tees.jpg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.