SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Best sports ground in the uk visited?

10K views 35 replies 30 participants last post by  CharlieP 
#1 ·
What is the best ground in the uk people have been too? mine is twickenham for facilities but for impressiveness it has to be old trafford

#4 ·
ye i can not believe they did not think about the corners before they built all the top tiers at different gradients. i quite enjoyed turf moor too, burnleys ground as it was so....basic the away stand is a shed and the seats are wooden. dont get that often!

#8 ·
The Oval was good. My favourate ground is Old Trafford Cricket ground just because it's a good place to relax (lots of space).

Re football grounds, I've been to Vale Park and Gresty Road and the Stadiums where Middlesborough and Crystal Palace play, I thought they were all OK. The best that I have been to though is Villa Park.

#13 ·
How do you define "best"? The grounds I liked the most are probably in this order:

1. Twickenham
2. Trent Bridge
3. Wembley Stadium (as it was in 1992).
4. Millennium Stadium
5. Villa Park
6. City Ground, Nottingham
7. Headingley
8. Recreation Ground, Bath (as it was in 1991).
9. Twerton Park
10. Manor Ground

...although the order would probably be different if you'd asked me the same question yesterday.

#14 ·
The biggest and best I've been to is the Millenium Stadium. But I can't wait for Wembley and would love a trip to Old Trafford, emirates, COM etc.

West Ham's Boleyn Ground is good on three sides. I liked Millwall's New Den and Swansea's Liberty Stadium. Reading, Sheff Wed were good days out.

Worst - Brighton. As an away fan paying over £20 for a makeshift stand with no leg room or bum room and no cover is a joke. And they beat us at the Mill Stad...

Best Cricket - Oval
Tennis - Court one
Rugby - Rec and Mem

Re Stourbridgebaggie: we have wooden seats in some parts of the home stands at Bristol City - classy, not!

#23 ·
I know you're kidding, but the Kassam Stadium is a text book case in how not to develop a ground. Wrong part of town, miles from any decent pubs or public transport, missing a stand at one end. Feel a bit sorry for Oxford, because they had to move from the Manor Ground (which was long past it) and there are always going to be problems finding a site in a historic city like Oxford. But they really did pick the arse end of nowhere for the new ground.

#24 ·
Goodison Park.It feels unique with a striking main stand, a residental location and amazing sense of history. You really feel like you're attending a football match the way it was meant to be.

Craven Cottage. For the same reasons as Goodison. As a bonus, I think the Johnny Haynes stand looks glorious on TV with the Fulham Football Club Gable.

Furthermore, I really enjoyed the old Wembley. Everybody always tells me it was a shit hole, what a blessing it was demolished. Nevertheless, be it a football match or concert, I personally loved every minute of being there and it always felt special. I'm sad it's gone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.