SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Krakow Poland - The Florence of the North

403K views 2K replies 155 participants last post by  El_Greco 
#1 · (Edited)
Old Town

Wawel Castle and Cathedral

Sukiennice - 13th Century Drapers' Hall (Home of Polish Paintings Collection of National Museum and Soon-to-be History of Krakow Museum underneath the square)

See less See more
#2 ·
Podgorze Neighbourhood

Schindler Factory

The Vistula

Kazimierz - The Old Jewish Community

Reactions: Highcliff
#3 ·
The cemetaries

Old Jewish Cemetary

Rakowicki Christian Cemetary - reminds me of Pere Lachaise

#6 ·
^^
There are a lot of museums, stadiums and convention centres under construction in Krakow now that should provide some great examples of modern architecture.

#9 ·
Great shots, fancy city! Just dont like the thread name. Krakow is just Krakow. I do get that it's been somehow influenced by southern style, but that would be it. The city remains oryginal and should not be named after another city (especially a less important one when it comes to historic importance).

#10 ·
^^

I do see your point. Krakow is very important in its own right and doesn't really need the reference. But since it is still somewhat unknown, I thought an evocative reference would encourage people to look in.

The city is over 1,000 years old, but the area has been inhabited for thousands of years. Its location on a natural north-south trade route at a break in the Carpathian mountain range helped make it important early on along with its microclimate, access to the Vistula and ideal topography for the construction of a fortress on Wawel Hill.

King Casimir the Great invited thousands of Italian architects and artisans during the early renaissance to design and build some of the beautiful edifices in the pictures.

The Historical Museum of the City of Krakow will be opening in Septmeber and should provide some amazing artifacts from the city's historic development that were unearthed under the main market square.

More pictures coming soon.....

#11 ·
Since you liked my Krakow pics, here are some more...

#12 · (Edited)

#13 ·

The ubiguitous bagel wagons - bagels were invented in Krakow.

#15 ·
Hi DocentX. Thanks for visiting. I also visited Czestochowa/Jasna Gora and Gdansk. Was hoping to visit Biecz and some interesting areas outside Krakow (besides the touristy ones like Pieskowa Skala and Wieliczka etc) but there wasn't enough time and I wanted to relax and really get to know Krakow. Next time, I would like to visit Torun and Elblag, since there appears to be a lot happening there. Are you in Krakow?

#16 ·
Any pic from Gdansk?

So how did you like Poland? As far as I remember it was long time since your previous visit.

As regards to Krakow I usually visit the city a few times a year - it's close and convinient to get there from Warsaw :cheers:

#17 ·
I do haved pics of Gdansk, but it was rainy when I was there, so most are too grey to post, but still very nice. I liked Poland a lot, but I think people that work in hotels and the service industry in Krakow could a little friendlier and polite. Maybe they're used to getting hit on :) Warsaw was actually friendlier. My last time in Poland was 2008 and then 1994. So, the change has been dramatic. I know some people of Polish background who have just moved to Poland to start a business and I might be considering it too - would be an adventure, I'm sure ;)

#19 ·
There's nothing quite like it, but Florence would compare in beauty.

#20 ·
Hi...
I went to Kraków this week aswell,
it really is an amazing city with a great ambient... Nice nightlife.. chill city...
Cheap aswell (for west european people)!
Some of my pictures...

(typical bar there, communistic style a bit...)

Very close to auswitz which is important and interesting to see aswell...
Hope you all like the pictures...
Some edited (probably B&W-pics) very soon comin up in my gallery http://stevenspapen.carbonmade.com/

#21 · (Edited)
Thanks for sharing. I don't mind if people post their pics that show different faces of Krakow with a focus on its beauty. Next time I go I plan on showcasing Krakow's many museums although most of them are either under construction or renovation right now.

Next set of pics coming soon.

#22 ·
Outside the Medieval Walls

#23 ·
Around St. Mary's Basilica

The view down St. Florian Street to St. Mary's

View down Plac Matejko to the Barbican

View down Grodzka Street

Night fall and the Old City Hall Tower

#26 ·
Yes, I agree. The two towers of St.Mary's are very beautiful, but the interior is even more amazing. I will try to find some pics of that to show you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.