SkyscraperCity Forum banner

[A] Austria | road infrastructure • Autobahnen in Österreich

Tags
austria
2M views 6K replies 340 participants last post by  ChrisZwolle 
#1 ·
Can someone please post pics of austrian highways, i could not find any topic with Austrian motorways here, why is that? I want see some Austrian motorways, Tunnels and also some great mountain pictures.

#6 ·
Austria has quite messy signage. not as much as France, but far from clear. font and arrows are extremely archaic. motorway intersections are mostly not lightened in night. quality of the roads is solid, but you can find bad sections, esp. at A2. often there are no names and lenghts of viaducts written.
when they change those things, i'll appreciate them more. but till then - sorry

#7 · (Edited)
Vienna's S1 (Außenringschnellstraße)

This might be the beginning of an "Austrian Motorways" thread. Though it might just as well not be.

S1 (Außenringschnellstraße)

The S1 is Austria's latest motorway. It was opened in April 2006 and has largely managed to attract a lot of transit traffic that earlier had to take the A23, straight through the city. It will be extended to total length of ultimately 57 km around the East/South-East of Vienna.

Length: 16.2 km
Provinces:
Lower Austria
Vienna

A journey East-West (Schwechat-Vösendorf)

Since VIE airport is located in Schwechat, this motorway has become my best option to get there from where I live.

Still on A4, coming from SE, between the airport and Vienna:

Leaving A4 (Ostautobahn, Vienna-Hungarian border) at Schwechat interchange:

Accelerating and passing below A4:

The first major road signs, showing principal cities in Austria (Linz and St.Pölten via S1-A21-A1, Eisenstadt via S1-A2-A3, Graz via S1-A2), the country indications for SLO, D and I as well as the next exit (Mannswörth-OMV) and the next one (Schwechat-Ost):

Flexible speed limiting (80??? C'mon...)

Schwechat Süd exit, interesting for plane spotters:

Entering the tunnel below the town of Rannersdorf (1880m long):

Inside the tunnel:

Daylight again:

Once more, the next exit and the one after are indicated:

Shortly before the exit, additional communities served by this exit are shown as well:

Changing lanes is restricted before tunnels:

Pretty strange that nothing tells you that Altmannsdorf is actually Vienna-West and Favoriten is actually Vienna-South. Not good for strangers...

Announcing Vösendorf interchange:

Distances to major (and minor) destinations, however Vienna ("Wien") isn't mentioned with a single word. Who outside Vienna knows where Favoriten or Altmannsdorf are?:eek:hno:

Entering Vösendorf tunnel.

For A2 towards Vienna/A23 (Südosttangente/Altmannsdf/Favoriten) you have to leave the motorway inside of the tunnel and it's pretty hard to see the signs. The only thing that actually tells you where to go if you need to get into the city center is the white dot on the ground:

The left (!!!) lane takes you to the A2 (Südautobahn, southbound, I/SLO), the two others simply continue as the A21 (Außenringautobahn) which later merges with A1 (Westautobahn) that leaves Vienna in the central West and continues to the German border near Salzburg and on towards Munich:

A view facing North, the A2/Südautobahn that leads towards the A23 and the Wienerberg Towers in the background:

Please comment!:cheers:

#22 ·
Very nice design of anti-noise barrier. When was this installed?

Why is height control set at only 4,0 m? Then it means that trucks are not allowed to go over S1? (Actually I didn't saw single one on those pictures)

Daylight again:
A lonely bridge with no on/off ramps? Probably future exit, but still somehow strange.

#9 ·
Technically, in this case, there is none. ;)
A Schnellstraße can be built like an Autobahn but it doesn't have to. If it is, 130km/h apply, like on Autobahnen. Autobahnen, however don'talways automatically allow 130, especially not in or near cities. So, even though the S1 complies with all Austrian "Autobahn" standards, you've got a limit of 100km/h or even less.

A Schnellstraße can look like this:
S6:

S33:

like this:

or even like this:

So, shortly... there is no real rule.

PS:
I've found a good map of Vienna's motorways:

#12 · (Edited)
Modern expressway, with all the electronic portals. I'm surprised at how many concrete expressways/motorways there are in Austria. And I had no idea the interchange with the A2 was in tunnel, that always looked cool to me. And Vienna's skyline looks impressive from it! I wonder what the AADT is, it's quite a relief from going via A23.

Btw, that's an impressive future motorway/expressway network for Vienna! And could you tell me which expressway is depicted on the pic with a speed limit of 130 km/h? I always thought the max. on expressways was 100 km/h!

#17 ·
Modern expressway, with all the electronic portals. I'm surprised at how many concrete expressways/motorways there are in Austria. And I had no idea the interchange with the A2 was in tunnel, that always looked cool to me. And Vienna's skyline looks impressive from it! I wonder what the AADT is, it's quite a relief from going via A23.

Btw, that's an impressive future motorway/expressway network for Vienna! And could you tell me which expressway is depicted on the pic with a speed limit of 130 km/h? I always thought the max. on expressways was 100 km/h!
I really get annoyed when driving on austrian motorways with the american concrete crashbarriers, they would look so much better without concrete.

#15 ·
^^Both of you are probably correct. It just see it from another perspective as I am living far out in the west, so for me, the S1 actually is the motorway of choice towards A4. ;)

@Verso:
The 130km/h limit is on S33 that was upgraded to A-standard only recently. From what I can see, it's close to the town of Krems.
As I said, you can't compare each Schnellstraße to all others.

#16 ·
^^Both of you are probably correct. It just see it from another perspective as I am living far out in the west, so for me, the S1 actually is the motorway of choice towards A4. ;)
Ok, now I remembered that you'd said you'd missed signs for Wien-West and Wien-Süd; actually I agree with you on that.

The 130km/h limit is on S33 that was upgraded to A-standard only recently. From what I can see, it's close to the town of Krems.
As I said, you can't compare each Schnellstraße to all others.
But did it stay S33 (Schnellstraße, so "only" its profile became Autobahn-like, or it's now also officially an Autobahn)?

#23 ·
Very nice design of anti-noise barrier. When was this installed?
2007. ;) Work hasn't been finished yet, I believe.

Why is height control set at only 4,0 m? Then it means that trucks are not allowed to go over S1?
No idea. Actually the S1 was built in order to take truck traffic away from A23...

(Actually I didn't saw single one on those pictures)
That's only because it was Sunday. On weekdays the right lane is really very much occupied by trucks.

A lonely bridge with no on/off ramps? Probably future exit, but still somehow strange.
Could be the future A24/S1 interchange. (See the above map.)

#25 ·
Copied here from my S1 thread:
This might be the beginning of an "Austrian Motorways" thread. Though it might just as well not be.

S1 (Außenringschnellstraße)

The S1 is Austria's latest motorway. It was opened in April 2006 and has largely managed to attract a lot of transit traffic that earlier had to take the A23, straight through the city. It will be extended to total length of ultimately 57 km around the East/South-East of Vienna.

Length: 16.2 km
Provinces:
Lower Austria
Vienna

A journey East-West (Schwechat-Vösendorf)

Since VIE airport is located in Schwechat, this motorway has become my best option to get there from where I live.

Leaving A4 (Ostautobahn, Vienna-Hungarian border) at Schwechat interchange:

Accelerating and passing below A4:

The first major road signs, showing principal cities in Austria (Linz and St.Pölten via S1-A21-A1, Eisenstadt via S1-A2-A3, Graz via S1-A2), the country indications for SLO, D and I as well as the next exit (Mannswörth-OMV) and the next one (Schwechat-Ost):

Flexible speed limiting (80??? C'mon...)

Schwechat Süd exit, interesting for plane spotters:

Entering the tunnel below the town of Rannersdorf (1880m long):

Inside the tunnel:

Daylight again:

Once more, the next exit and the one after are indicated:

Shortly before the exit, additional communities served by this exit are shown as well:

Changing lanes is restricted before tunnels:

Pretty strange that nothing tells you that Altmannsdorf is actually Vienna-West and Favoriten is actually Vienna-South. Not good for strangers...

Announcing Vösendorf interchange:

Distances to major (and minor) destinations, however Vienna ("Wien") isn't mentioned with a single word. Who outside Vienna knows where Favoriten or Altmannsdorf are?:eek:hno:

Entering Vösendorf tunnel.

For A2 towards Vienna/A23 (Südosttangente/Altmannsdf/Favoriten) you have to leave the motorway inside of the tunnel and it's pretty hard to see the signs. The only thing that actually tells you where to go if you need to get into the city center is the white dot on the ground:

The left (!!!) lane takes you to the A2 (Südautobahn, southbound, I/SLO), the two others simply continue as the A21 (Außenringautobahn) which later merges with A1 (Westautobahn) that leaves Vienna in the central West and continues to the German border near Salzburg and on towards Munich:

A view facing North, the A2/Südautobahn that leads towards the A23 and the Wienerberg Towers in the background:

Please comment!:cheers:
If no one minds, I'll kidnap this thread for future postings. ;)