Orlando heading in right direction?

• Yes

Votes: 32 78.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 22.0%

Orlando Outlook

50K views 215 replies 18 participants last post by  SkyDiveJunkee 
#1 ·
I think this thread will give readers an opportunity to know "Whats Happening" from an economic "Recovery" standpoint around the Orlando area. I listed just a few major ones I could remember off the top of my head. Feel free to share your opinion and add!

$8Billion Worth of projects for the area!

Wekiva Parkway - $2 Billion
$1.66B Wekiva Parkway on way toward ground breaking in fall - Orlando Sentinel

I-4 Toll Roads and Bridge Improvements - $2 Billion
Toll lanes coming to Interstate 4
Mica Wavers On I-4 Toll Opposition - Orlando News Story - WESH Orlando

SunRail - $1.5 Billion, although not entirely in Orlando, still significant impact.

Orlando International Airport Renovations - $475 Million
Orlando Airport Expansion: If You Build It, They Will Come - Will New Florida High Speed Rail Connect with OIA? : Florida Commercial News : Florida Real Estate Attorney & Lawyer for Land & Retail Development, & Leasing : Eckstein Schechter Law

Magic Kingdom Expansion - $450 Million
Giant expansion of Disney's Magic Kingdom features multiattractions galore - Tampa Bay Times

New Performing Arts Center - $400 Million
City of Orlando Community Venues

Orlando Health - $300 Million
Orlando Health announces $297M expansion - Orlando Business Journal

ORMC expansion: Orlando Regional Medical Center announced $300 million expansion plans for 2012 - Orlando Sentinel

The Rida Downtown SunRail LCS Development - $200 Million
Downtown development: Central Station would bring $200 million in downtown development - Orlando Sentinel

The Renovation For Festival Bay Mall - $100 Million
Festival Bay will get major makeover, could return as open-air shopping complex - Orlando Sentinel

Festival Bay owner prepares $100M revamp - Orlando Business Journal

The Expansion of Orlando Prime Outlet -$1300 Per sq ft, 80,000 sq. ft.= Approx $100 Million
Orlando-area outlet malls continue to grow - Orlando Sentinel

The I-Drive Live Project - $100 Million
I-Drive Live: Developers embrace new name for International Drive wheel attraction - Orlando Sentinel

Orlando Theme Park News: Preview of the New "I-Drive LIVE" Project

The Orlando Magic - $100 Million Development
Orlando Magic: The Orlando Magic are given an exclusive purchase option on a city-owned garage. - Orlando Sentinel

I Shops - $50 Million
I-Shops International Drive: Unicorp reveals plans of I-Shops development on I-Drive - Orlando Sentinel

Florida Hospital Mixed Use - $30 Million
Florida Hospital details new $29M mixed-use building - Orlando Business Journal

Florida Hospital Expansion - $25 Million
Florida Hospital Plans $25-Million Expansion for Orlando | News from other sources | ENR Southeast | McGraw-Hill Construction

The Expansion of Fun Spot - $20 Million
Fun Spot Expansion Plans - ParkRumors.com

Winnie Palmer Expansion - $13 Million
News

Lymmo BRT Expansion - $13 Million
Lynx, city finalize plans for $12.5M Lymmo expansion - Orlando Business Journal

Sea World Expansion - Undisclosed cost
SeaWorld new rides: SeaWorld Orlando is expected to announce today three new attractions to be built over the next two years - Orlando Sentinel

The Creative Village - No specific cost, but will stimulate the economic drive in Orlando specifically downtown.

See less See more
#89 · (Edited)
Well, regarding the Orlando Outlook, here's some of what we know (from my memory- feel free to add):

1. Sunrail- Phase I (Deltona to SLR) is U/C with 12 stations which are either currently U/C, or will be U/C soon. Platforms are being constructed and double-tracking is being done at this time in Seminole County. Station platforms are u/c at Lynx Central, DeBary, and Altamonte if not more, so far.
2. Toll 414- is being extended west to 441 from the 429 interchange.
3. Winter Park- Alfond hotel u/c
4. Maitland/Altamonte- Adventist HQ #2 is u/c at 414 & 434.
5. Orlando- Steelhouse- 320 units- u/c
6. Orlando- dpac- u/c
7. Orlando- Aloft- OUC redo- u/c
8. Millennia- Estates at Millennia Phase I- 290 units- u/c almost complete
9. WDW- Four Seasons- u/c
10. Lake Nona- VA Hospital- u/c
11. Lake Nona- Nemours- u/c
12. Lake Nona- UF Biomed- u/c
13. Kissimmee- Embassy Suites- 535 & 192- u/c
14. SLR & Turkey Lake Rd.- Drury Inn & Suites; 8 story- u/c- almost done
15. I-Drive/South- Sheraton Vistana Villages- new multi-bldg section u/c; 200 or so units (near Premium)
16. I-Drive/South- plaza- near Westwood
17. OIA- Gateway Village- two new hotels; 1-2 restaurants; at 436 & Frontage
18. Seaworld- Panera & Buffalo Wild Wings- u/c; CFLA Pkwy & I-Drive
19. Toll 408 & 417 Interchange and realignment- u/c
20. I-Drive/ South- connector to Palm Parkway near Premium; u/c
21. Vineland Rd- Florida Center North community; Vineland Ave east of Universal
22. Destination Pkwy- U/C- JYP (near Southpark) to Universal Blvd near Vista Cay then to I-Drive next to Hilton Orlando
23. I-4 Widening: SR 44 in Deland to I-95 in Daytona Beach
24. I-4/SR 46 Interchange improvements- Sanford- u/c
25. SR 436 & Red Bug Lake Rd- new interchange/flyover; u/c
26. US 192 & I-4 EB- interchange improvements; u/c
27. Orlando/ Michigan St & Orange Ave- Publix Plaza redevelopment- Appleby's- recently opened
28. Lake Mary/I-4- 1001 Royal Gardens Cir; second phase; u/c
29. Orlando- Fed Cthouse- renovation and construction of plaza; u/c

Recently completed:

1. I-Drive: Ramada? 12 story hotel tower addition- near Wet n Wild
2. Maitland/Altamonte- Adventist Health HQ #1- 414 & 434
3. Kirkman Rd & Carrier Dr.- office bldg
4. Seaworld- Walgreens/WaWa (CFLA Pkwy & I-Drive)
5. I-Drive/South- Italian-themed plaza south of Westwood;
6. UCF- Alafaya- University House- urban apt community; u/c almost done
7. UCF- Alafaya- Sterling Central- urban apt community- Phase II
8. FH South- 3-4 story bldg at Princeton & Orange Ave
9. Millennia- Toyota of Orlando- off Vineland; near Harley Davidson

#97 ·
What I'd like to see development-wise, is a higher concentration of residential towers not only in downtown, but also in the corridor south of downtown bordered by Orange Ave to the east and Division to the west. That's a very densely developed corridor for medical and industrial and retail along Orange.

The other corridor would be South St. from as east as Crystal lake exit on 408 all the way to downtown. There are some scattered businesses along that route already. From GAI in, it's pretty dense.

And the other is the Florida Hospital South corridor at Orange & Princeton. there are already many projects in the works, but developers need to take advantage of the Lake Ivanhoe views. Orlando Palace proposal comes to mind from past boom; and that 1000 N. Orange proposal for that triangular lot north of Body by Mahmood.

#104 ·
^^
...that's the bad...but the good, is that it fills an empty lot in a part of downtown where prior to last year, there had only been 3 projects built since the late '80's. This project and Steelhouse (u/c) will effectively double the number of residential units in that neighborhood. I think the focus here is maximizing the amount of linear feet of sidewalk with development. I think that at the time financing was secured, which was during the building bust, they had to downscale the project. However, Skyhouse was able to secure financing as a high rise.

#105 ·
Also the good...it brings 3 additional commercial parcels to Uptown. A critical mass of commercial parcels is essential for individual businesses to thrive. It still surprises me that SteelHouse did not have at least one commercial parcel in its development. I assume they were looking at the failed attempts made by the Camden project, although Camden is South of Colonial in what remains to be a rather blighted section of Orange Ave (apples/oranges).

#106 ·
Also the good...it brings 3 additional commercial parcels to Uptown. A critical mass of commercial parcels is essential for individual businesses to thrive. It still surprises me that SteelHouse did not have at least one commercial parcel in its development. I assume they were looking at the failed attempts made by the Camden project, although Camden is South of Colonial in what remains to be a rather blighted section of Orange Ave (apples/oranges).
^^
...that's the bad...but the good, is that it fills an empty lot in a part of downtown where prior to last year, there had only been 3 projects built since the late '80's. This project and Steelhouse (u/c) will effectively double the number of residential units in that neighborhood. I think the focus here is maximizing the amount of linear feet of sidewalk with development. I think that at the time financing was secured, which was during the building bust, they had to downscale the project. However, Skyhouse was able to secure financing as a high rise.

Oh no no I'm ecstatic for development downtown. Im happy for the project,:banana: But this is Orlando, that design should at least be re-considered but it's too late. I really hope the landscaping helps this area. I hope it is not going to affect RIDA Devlopment in downtown as well. I mean the renters market is in heaven in Orlando but with all these new developments going up, is there a possibility Rida may not happen?

#108 ·
#109 ·
^^
Yep, you were right about the expansion of Orl Premium Outlets. What was that, they're getting an Off Fifth store in that new building. That will be the second one in town. That will be a big draw. Although it might cannibalize their other location. Maybe, maybe not.

^^
The Rida development. I don't know. Maybe they're superstitious in that if they plan for a tall building the project won't happen or something. Maybe they don't want the Courthouse building's line of sight blocked to the west. Who knows.

As long as Sunrail opens their station and this development gets developed, and perhaps the Greyhound station gets moved to the neighborhood, then I think that will be a good core for transit and TOD. So, Lynx and Red Coach for now. Add in Greyhound and that will be something. I'm surprised there isn't a Greyhound stop at OIA (unless there is).

#113 ·
Anyone else seeing a pattern?

Steel House
899 North Orange
Sevens
RIDA

Mid-rise Fever. Build with the cheapest materials possible to a height threshold that will maximum profits, short term. I guess this is what happens when developers finally figured out our dirty little secret: we aren't a condo market.

I think I liked it better when they built condos. Said condos went bust. Said condos converted to apartments.

#116 ·
Ahh, Novarre will eb the game changer huh?

Well you know, honestly the Mid-Rises are okay. They will ad density and should be able to change the streetscape for a driver, pedestrian, and someone looking out the window in their mid-rise. It should also be noted that mid-rises will indeed add to their skyline no matter their height because Orlando has a , long stretching skyline. So anything above 100 or so feet will be spot-table from I-4 and what not for the time being anyway.

I'd like to see North Orange set up like Lake Eola and with the mid-rises. It's very vibrant right around that area and thorton park.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.