SkyscraperCity Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Calicut (Kozhikode) Projects

702K views 3K replies 108 participants last post by  Hindustani 
#1 ·
Calicut (Kozhikode) has a low cost of living. The rates of apartments on the South Beach Road is only 1550 / sq.ft while the same kind is 2600 in Cochin. IF you have the money to live happily ever after getting a flat in Calicut is best. It has an International airport, Very near to the City center 1.5 kms to the Railway Station and Bus Station. What else can you want. West hill is a good residential area. A few softare companies are looking for places around in Kozhikode.....Real Estate is cheap. :runaway:

http://www.yasoram.com/kozhikode.htm

#382 ·
^^ - Thanks for the clarification, Sanju. :) Anglicised and colonial nomenclature is quite common all across India, and even in Kerala, a vestige of our history. I guess Calicut having been closely under British rule - especially since 1921 - will have a lot more of the colonial hangover. Trivandrum, having been pretty much independent, has less of it but there are still many a european named street or building in the capital even today. :)

Street names often reflect the history of a city and sometimes last longer than records and memories. Finding out the origins of roads, squares and plazas is an interesting, amusing and insightful way of exploring the history and culture of a city.:)

#383 ·
yes ajay...calicut was fully under britishers rule it was under madras precidency,powerful zamorins of calicut was defeated by tippu sulthan in the early 18th century,so after that whole of malabar din see a unified ruler and was conqured by europiens easily:eek:hno: .but i guess tat in trivandrum eventhough had a king,it was under britishers only know,king was only a rubber stamp right.....

#385 ·
^^ - Yes Sai, nice to see Calicut getting due recognition as one of the three major cities of Kerala. :)

Sanju - Travancore always had a strong administration in place, even when a British resident was in place. Rulers like Marthanda Varma have crushed european forces in many a battle like that at Colachel. As you would recall, innovations like electricity, running water, sewerage, city buses, airport, higher education, modern heavy industry were all introduced by Travancore rulers when even British governed areas had no idea of what they were. Also, the extent of social reforms like caste reforms, elected assemblies and increased focus on education, enacted in this tenure also highlight this degree of independence. To a great extent, the British influence exerted was positive in terms of technology, education and architecture.:eek:kay:

The same can be said about Cochin and Calicut. The former owes its importance of today to the work done by its British rulers on the port and associated facilities. :)

Malabar had a slightly more chequered history under the British - especially the armed struggle of 1921 - but I dare say some positive effects - social and cultural ones - would have come about. Hope you guys can fill in more on this account. Cheers!

#386 ·
Hope u know that malabar is having a rich cultural heritage,calicut especially have a cosmopolitan culture,though hindus are majority,muslims coexist wid us nicely along wid gujarathis,marvadies,konkanies and angloindians etc... but unfortunately due to some external influence some thing happened in a remote area in calicut,which was os sad,but now recovering nicely.....so calicut is on the move...

#387 ·
^^ - Absolutely right. Malabar has one of the richest cultural, ethnic and religious diversity in Kerala. There have been some blips here and there, but I am sure things are getting well and truely on track. :eek:kay:

And not to mention cuisine, I am a major fan of Malabar cuisine! Yumm! :lol:

#390 ·
Sanju... sorry for being candid.. I don't think these photos add much value. Please let us have photos posted for conveying something unique about a city that others may not know - especially around skyscrapers, infrastructure development and general economic progress so that we can do justice to these forums. Also please avoid discussions around very local or trivial aspects (such as Calicut Vs Kochi Vs Trivandrum) that could actually be done one to one with other forumers using private messages.

#391 ·
mr bangalore,hope u hav not seen the thread completely:eek:hno: ,just go around the thread and u can see those pictures of skyscrapers and shopping malls both completed and u\c posted:) ,and one more thing this thread is also ment for showcasing ur home town i guess,hav to discuss it wid mods....if u go to any of the kerala thread u can find this GODS OWN COUNTRY show cased beautifully especially trivandrum thread....so keep watching the thread properly....:cheers:

And regarding the disscusions regarding tvm,kochi and calicut for ur kind information i have never inetiated such talks,plz excuse:)

#400 ·
Satra Properties(India) Ltd

Satra Properties(India) Ltd Satra Properties acquires property at Calicut, Kerala Satra Properties India Ltd has informed BSE that the Company has entered into MOU for acquisition of property at Calicut, Kerala of plot size of 1 acre for a consideration of Rs 18 Crores (approx) having a potential of constructing a shopping Mall thereby generating a saleable area approximately of 1.5 Lacs Sq Fts along with permission to provide Multiplex under the proposed project name "CALICUT GALLARIA".

http://myiris.com/shares/company/announceDisplay.php?ppg=5&icode=EXPLEASI&max=10&show=1

#401 ·
#402 ·
Sanjupalayat

Wonderful & Glorious camera work there. I cant believe there are so many highrises coming up in calicut. Keep that Camera working. want some more hi-res Calicut Int. Airport images. That airport will put to shame many Indian metropolitan Airport. I'm very pleased with 17-F PVS Nakshatra. once its completed, it'll look mindblowing. Keep a special eye on that one & keep the camera ready at all times.

#403 ·
dear hindusthani,
first of all thanx for ur compliment,stay tuned to see more pics of CIA,have to go to recieve my brother next week,i can say this type of senario(high rises)exists whole over kerala starting from kannur to trivandrum,u can see many high rises coming up,mainly in kochi,trivandrum,calicut,thrissur etc... so its mainly due to the life style people follow up,hope u know that the living standard in kerala is very high when compared to other states in india..

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.