SkyscraperCity Forum banner
101 - 120 of 367 Posts
Can I blame you toonlad for the decision to run a bloody convoy at rush hour closing off just about every major artery out of the city at rush hour?:lol:

Enjoy it mind! I'll just retire to a local coffee house :cheers:

Discussion starter · #103 ·
Bear Grylls to carry Olympic Torch on "zip wire" over Tyne
By Sara Nichol, Evening Chronicle, June 13th 2012

ADVENTURER Bear Grylls is to carry the Olympic Torch down a zip wire from the top of the Tyne Bridge to the Quayside below. The ex-SAS man and Chief Scout will be one of 141 Torchbearers carrying the flame on Friday from Northumberland to Newcastle.

Grylls, 38, a writer and TV presenter, will slide down the wire over the River Tyne and into the parade ground of HMS Calliope - the Royal Navy’s riverside training centre.

The zip slide will happen at around 7pm as the climax of the torch’s journey through the city, which includes a visit to St James’ Park football ground.

There will be a party on the Quayside afterwards.

Read More - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nort...-wire-over-tyne-72703-31173795/#ixzz1xgDyK3ZO

Discussion starter · #104 ·
Fighter jets on standby to protect Olympics in Newcastle
by Michael Brown, The Journal, June 13th 2012

FIGHTER jets could be scrambled to protect the skies above Newcastle should terrorists attack the Olympic football matches at St James’ Park. The Ministry of Defence has admitted Eurofighter Typhoons will be on standby to enforce a four-mile wide no-fly zone around the stadium, with the 1,550mph aircraft capable of reaching the North East from their bases in Lincolnshire and Fife, Scotland in less than 20 minutes.

A spokesman for the Ministry of Defence said there were no “specific threats” against any of the venues used for the Games, including St James’ Park, but it was better to be prepared. The zone will be enforced on July 26 (12.30pm to 9.15pm), July 29 (3pm to 11.45pm), July 31 (12.30pm to 9.15pm), August 1 (12.30pm to 6.30pm), August 3 (12.30pm to 6.30pm), and August 4 (3pm to 9pm) when men’s and women’s teams including Spain, Japan, Mexico and France will take to Newcastle United’s hallowed turf.

However, restrictions, which extend two miles in each direction from St James’ Park, and to a height of 2,500ft – are not expected to affect the flight path of planes heading to and from Newcastle International Airport or the city’s heliport, with aircraft that have prior authorisation allowed to pass through. Graeme Mason, planning and corporate affairs director at Newcastle International, said: “The no-fly zone over St James’ Park during the Olympic football will not have an impact on operations at Newcastle Airport. St James’ Park is in a built up area and is not on the flight path for aircraft flying in and out of the airport.”

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-...otect-newcastle-61634-31170490/#ixzz1xgn6kcA0

The "non illuminated" Olympic Rings to the Tyne Bridge , 13/06/12

Always believe what is says in the Planning Documentation - do not believe what you hear on radio, see on TV or read in the papers.

Contrary to all reports - "illuminated 830 through to 1 AM" etc, as Steve correctly pointed out "No illumination" to the rings, not even an individual spotlight

Lots of unhappy people with lots of camera equipment on the Millennium Bridge and Quayside areas in period 1000 - 1030 expecting to see the rings "Lit Up" but nothing happened

Anyway here are a few pictures of mine, taken during that period, in manual mode at ISO 1600 and with computer enhancement, showing the Tyne Bridge with its own lights ( recently corrected after a long period with many non illuminated ) and the Olympic Rings ( images hosted on Photobucket)

KEN

Hi Thought i would throw some pics in i took tonight, gonna go back down next week as nearly all of the pics i took tonight had one of those black stumps in and i never knew till i got home.

All pic taken by me and are from my flickr page...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kenfitzpatrick

Cheers Ken.
Some tasty photographs there Ken - HDR?

As to the black stumps, so you mean the bollards for the railings?

Discussion starter · #113 · (Edited)
North East Olympic Torch relay: Live coverage from 3.30pm
By Evening Chronicle, June 14th 2012

The Tyne Bridge at night displaying the Olympic rings

THE Olympic Torch Relay starts its journey through the North East today, with the convoy due to enter north Northumberland from Scotland later this afternoon.

The Evening Chronicle will be live blogging the Olympic Torch Relay between now and Sunday.

You can follow our live blog below. See link in main article, below.

Read More - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nort...age-from-3-30pm-72703-31182590/#ixzz1xm2EbL00

Discussion starter · #116 ·
Olympic Torch Relay lights up Northumberland . . .
Berwick to Alnwick

by David Black, The Journal, June 15th 2012

THE PEOPLE of Northumberland turned out in force yesterday for a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to catch a glimpse of the Olympic Torch. Huge crowds lined the streets of Berwick, Bamburgh and Alnwick to see a piece of history wind its way through their communities.

The three settlements each laid on spectacular welcomes for the flame, including last night a magical celebration in the shadow of Alnwick Castle which some 12,000 people enjoyed.

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-...berland-gallery-61634-31187836/#ixzz1xqZizUQ5

Olympic Flame not entering St James' Park 15/06/12

Hearing on local radio that a late change to the route of the Olympic Flame was ordered by LOCOG due to pitchside advertisements within the football ground - not those of Games sponsors, being in place

Ground obviously still in SDA mode and not SJP mode as will be when Olympic football games held

Must have had months notice to get it right for today

Ashley trying a fast one ?

KEN

Hearing on local radio that a late change to the route of the Olympic Flame was ordered by LOCOG due to pitchside advertisements within the football ground - not those of Games sponsors, being in place

Ground obviously still in SDA mode and not SJP mode as will be when Olympic football games held

Must have had months notice to get it right for today

Ashley trying a fast one ?

KEN
They've just finished relaying the pitch so I imagine they haven't got round to sponsorship yet. All Newcastle's pitchside ads are electronic so won't even be switched on. But just above in the first tier is Sports Direct.com

Of course we'll ignore the fact that it went down Northumberland Street in blazing view of Primark, M&S, BHS etc...

Discussion starter · #119 ·
Olympic Torch Relay . . .
In Newcastle: crowds cheer Bear Grylls on Zipwire
By Richard Fletcher, The Journal, June 16th 2012

WATCHED by thousands lining Newcastle Quayside, Bear Grylls zipwired over the Tyne to continue the Newcastle Olympic Torch relay.

Families, who had been arriving hours before to get a good view, cheered loudly as the white-suited figure, dwarfed by the huge Olympic rings fixed to the Tyne Bridge, arced across the Newcastle skyline to land at HMS Calliope on the Gateshead side.

Speaking directly to the Chronicle, Bear Grylls said: It was a little bit nerve-wracking because you want to get it right. I was nervous about the flame going out, I was nervous about dropping the thing, I was nervous to make sure I could hold on as well.

But it all went good and for me Im just super-proud to be a small part in an incredible machine which is our brilliant country hosting the Olympics, so I'm very proud.

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-...-grylls-zipwire-61634-31194366/#ixzz1xwT5sFyk

Bear Grylls

Did you see Bear Grylls jumping off the Tyne Bridge on the zip wire last night?
Isnt it a pity we couldnt have had a local hero do it?
Who would you nominate and why? Dont go for the obvious people..Alan Shearer, Steve Cram etc etc...

My nomination.....Tim Healey with Denise Welch doing a tandem jump!
Hopefully to see the wire break half way down!

101 - 120 of 367 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.