SkyscraperCity Forum banner
68K views 366 replies 43 participants last post by  Newcastle Historian 
#1 · (Edited)
St James' Park to host 2012 Olympics football ties
October 16th 2010, by Andy Hughes, The Journal

NEWCASTLE United’s home ground St James’ Park will host six Olympic football matches during the 2012 games, it emerged last night.

The 52,000 capacity stadium has been chosen as one of only six grounds in the UK to stage the Olympic fixtures in July and August 2012. St James’ Park will host a mixture of preliminary group stage games and at least one quarter-final over the course of 10 days.

The other stadiums chosen as venues are Old Trafford in Manchester, the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff, Wembley Stadium in London, Hampden Park in Glasgow and the City of Coventry Stadium.

The teams which will play at each venue are yet to be announced.

The first game will be played on July 26, 2012. The other fixtures are scheduled for the following Sunday (July 29), Tuesday (July 31), Wednesday (August 1) and Friday (August 3), with the final fixture taking place on Saturday, August 4.

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-...s-football-ties-61634-27482114/#ixzz12VmQSH7s

See less See more
#89 · (Edited)
Tyne Bridge gets Olympic rings fitted
as part of region's celebrations

by Dan Warburton, The Journal, June 11th 2012

HUGE OLYMPIC RINGS were lowered on to the Tyne Bridge yesterday as the North East prepares to welcome the Olympic Flame to the region. Constructed from aluminium, the massive overlapping circles measure 25m wide and 12m high, making them the largest set of metal Olympic Rings in the UK. It comes just three days before the flame begins its route around the North East, arriving at Berwick-Upon-Tweed on Thursday before snaking its way through Northumberland to arrive in Newcastle the following day.

Last night Lord Coe, the chairman of the London Organising Committee of the Olympic Games, paid tributes to the North East’s contribution to the Olympic celebrations. He said: “The Olympic Rings are an iconic symbol, inspiring athletes and uniting people around the world. To athletes they represent the culmination of thousands of hours of training and reaching the highest level in sport. These Rings will excite and inspire residents and visitors to Newcastle and Gateshead.”

A celebration of the torch relay will take place in Newcastle this Friday that will see thousands of people witness the flame pass through Newcastle and Gateshead, just weeks before St James’ Park plays host to the London 2012 Olympic Football tournament where six matches will take place in the grounds.

The five rings – coloured blue, yellow, black, green and red – represent the union of the five continents and the meeting of athletes from throughout the world at the Olympic Games. Giant sets of Olympic Rings are being installed at sites across the UK to inspire people ahead of the games and to demonstrate that we are ready to welcome the world. It’s a real coup to have the largest Olympics Rings here in Newcastle and Gateshead

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-...-s-celebrations-61634-31154559/#ixzz1xT947FvZ

#90 ·
Ken O'Heed said:
Follow up to comment above

In discussion on Radio Newcastle 0900 - 0930 was stated by spokesman from NCC:-

NCC as host city ( football) given budget of £ 270,000 from Games organisation to spend

NCC decided to allocate around £ 100,000 of that on the rings to the bridge

Also stated that rings to be lit from Wednesday - assuming they get completed!

From NCC Website yesterday 11/06/12 until 1730 was "roads closure" period on bridge to erect the rings

As nothing was ongoing at 1445 and rings are not complete my comment is "What went wrong?"

KEN
Good to read that the Rate Payers of Newcastle aren't paying for this. Someone mentioned to me yesterday that some sections had fallen into the Tyne and I thought they were winding me up bit now I'm wondering if it was true?

#94 ·
Some pictures taken 12/06/12 AM using mobile phone, showing completed rings (hosted on Photobucket)

Now to see them "lit up"

KEN
Ken, if you want to see them illuminated, you will have to go along in the dark and shine a torch on them. PA - Display of set of non-illuminated Olympic rings on the east face of the main arch of the Tyne Bridge :wink2:

#93 ·
Olympic Torch Relay in Newcastle and the North East
MAP, DATES & TIMES . . .

City Centre Route - From where it just says "SEE OPPOSITE" in Map Guide above . . .

:: Newcastle City Centre - 4.47pm arrival
:: New Bridge Street - 5pm
:: Northumberland Street - 5.10pm
:: Old Eldon Square - 5.35pm
:: Civic Centre - 5.40pm
:: Royal Victoria Infirmary - 5.45pm
:: Hunter's Road - 6pm
:: St James' Park - 6.15pm
:: Stowell Street - 6.20pm
:: Times Square - 6.30pm
:: St Nicholas' Cathedral - 6.45pm
:: Tyne Bridge - 7pm
:: Gateshead Millennium Bridge - 7.10pm
:: Newcastle Quayside for evening celebration - 7.20pm

Read More - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nort...route-map-times-72703-30573465/#ixzz1xaPTRMnS

#99 ·
^^^^

Hope you have a lighter handy as it's going to be wet on Friday!
Saw that a number of the runners are corporate sponsorship people as well as a lot of 'celebs' muscling in on the event. :eek:hno:

Did you see Danny Boyle's 'Tellytubby' styled opening ceremony with rolling green hills complete with farmyard animals?
Didn't see an oversized wind turbine (not moving of course!)

When the Olympics are finished will NCC sell the rings on e-bay?
£3.50 buy-it-now!

:cheers:

#103 ·
Bear Grylls to carry Olympic Torch on "zip wire" over Tyne
By Sara Nichol, Evening Chronicle, June 13th 2012

ADVENTURER Bear Grylls is to carry the Olympic Torch down a zip wire from the top of the Tyne Bridge to the Quayside below. The ex-SAS man and Chief Scout will be one of 141 Torchbearers carrying the flame on Friday from Northumberland to Newcastle.

Grylls, 38, a writer and TV presenter, will slide down the wire over the River Tyne and into the parade ground of HMS Calliope - the Royal Navy’s riverside training centre.

The zip slide will happen at around 7pm as the climax of the torch’s journey through the city, which includes a visit to St James’ Park football ground.

There will be a party on the Quayside afterwards.

Read More - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nort...-wire-over-tyne-72703-31173795/#ixzz1xgDyK3ZO

#104 ·
Fighter jets on standby to protect Olympics in Newcastle
by Michael Brown, The Journal, June 13th 2012

FIGHTER jets could be scrambled to protect the skies above Newcastle should terrorists attack the Olympic football matches at St James’ Park. The Ministry of Defence has admitted Eurofighter Typhoons will be on standby to enforce a four-mile wide no-fly zone around the stadium, with the 1,550mph aircraft capable of reaching the North East from their bases in Lincolnshire and Fife, Scotland in less than 20 minutes.

A spokesman for the Ministry of Defence said there were no “specific threats” against any of the venues used for the Games, including St James’ Park, but it was better to be prepared. The zone will be enforced on July 26 (12.30pm to 9.15pm), July 29 (3pm to 11.45pm), July 31 (12.30pm to 9.15pm), August 1 (12.30pm to 6.30pm), August 3 (12.30pm to 6.30pm), and August 4 (3pm to 9pm) when men’s and women’s teams including Spain, Japan, Mexico and France will take to Newcastle United’s hallowed turf.

However, restrictions, which extend two miles in each direction from St James’ Park, and to a height of 2,500ft – are not expected to affect the flight path of planes heading to and from Newcastle International Airport or the city’s heliport, with aircraft that have prior authorisation allowed to pass through. Graeme Mason, planning and corporate affairs director at Newcastle International, said: “The no-fly zone over St James’ Park during the Olympic football will not have an impact on operations at Newcastle Airport. St James’ Park is in a built up area and is not on the flight path for aircraft flying in and out of the airport.”

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-...otect-newcastle-61634-31170490/#ixzz1xgn6kcA0

#107 ·
The "non illuminated" Olympic Rings to the Tyne Bridge , 13/06/12

Always believe what is says in the Planning Documentation - do not believe what you hear on radio, see on TV or read in the papers.

Contrary to all reports - "illuminated 830 through to 1 AM" etc, as Steve correctly pointed out "No illumination" to the rings, not even an individual spotlight

Lots of unhappy people with lots of camera equipment on the Millennium Bridge and Quayside areas in period 1000 - 1030 expecting to see the rings "Lit Up" but nothing happened

Anyway here are a few pictures of mine, taken during that period, in manual mode at ISO 1600 and with computer enhancement, showing the Tyne Bridge with its own lights ( recently corrected after a long period with many non illuminated ) and the Olympic Rings ( images hosted on Photobucket)

KEN

#112 ·
Hi Thought i would throw some pics in i took tonight, gonna go back down next week as nearly all of the pics i took tonight had one of those black stumps in and i never knew till i got home.

All pic taken by me and are from my flickr page...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kenfitzpatrick

Cheers Ken.
Some tasty photographs there Ken - HDR?

As to the black stumps, so you mean the bollards for the railings?

#113 · (Edited)
North East Olympic Torch relay: Live coverage from 3.30pm
By Evening Chronicle, June 14th 2012

The Tyne Bridge at night displaying the Olympic rings

THE Olympic Torch Relay starts its journey through the North East today, with the convoy due to enter north Northumberland from Scotland later this afternoon.

The Evening Chronicle will be live blogging the Olympic Torch Relay between now and Sunday.

You can follow our live blog below. See link in main article, below.

Read More - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nort...age-from-3-30pm-72703-31182590/#ixzz1xm2EbL00

#116 ·
Olympic Torch Relay lights up Northumberland . . .
Berwick to Alnwick

by David Black, The Journal, June 15th 2012

THE PEOPLE of Northumberland turned out in force yesterday for a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to catch a glimpse of the Olympic Torch. Huge crowds lined the streets of Berwick, Bamburgh and Alnwick to see a piece of history wind its way through their communities.

The three settlements each laid on spectacular welcomes for the flame, including last night a magical celebration in the shadow of Alnwick Castle which some 12,000 people enjoyed.

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-...berland-gallery-61634-31187836/#ixzz1xqZizUQ5

#117 ·
Olympic Flame not entering St James' Park 15/06/12

Hearing on local radio that a late change to the route of the Olympic Flame was ordered by LOCOG due to pitchside advertisements within the football ground - not those of Games sponsors, being in place

Ground obviously still in SDA mode and not SJP mode as will be when Olympic football games held

Must have had months notice to get it right for today

Ashley trying a fast one ?

KEN

#118 ·
Hearing on local radio that a late change to the route of the Olympic Flame was ordered by LOCOG due to pitchside advertisements within the football ground - not those of Games sponsors, being in place

Ground obviously still in SDA mode and not SJP mode as will be when Olympic football games held

Must have had months notice to get it right for today

Ashley trying a fast one ?

KEN
They've just finished relaying the pitch so I imagine they haven't got round to sponsorship yet. All Newcastle's pitchside ads are electronic so won't even be switched on. But just above in the first tier is Sports Direct.com

Of course we'll ignore the fact that it went down Northumberland Street in blazing view of Primark, M&S, BHS etc...

#119 ·
Olympic Torch Relay . . .
In Newcastle: crowds cheer Bear Grylls on Zipwire
By Richard Fletcher, The Journal, June 16th 2012

WATCHED by thousands lining Newcastle Quayside, Bear Grylls zipwired over the Tyne to continue the Newcastle Olympic Torch relay.

Families, who had been arriving hours before to get a good view, cheered loudly as the white-suited figure, dwarfed by the huge Olympic rings fixed to the Tyne Bridge, arced across the Newcastle skyline to land at HMS Calliope on the Gateshead side.

Speaking directly to the Chronicle, Bear Grylls said: It was a little bit nerve-wracking because you want to get it right. I was nervous about the flame going out, I was nervous about dropping the thing, I was nervous to make sure I could hold on as well.

But it all went good and for me Im just super-proud to be a small part in an incredible machine which is our brilliant country hosting the Olympics, so I'm very proud.

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-...-grylls-zipwire-61634-31194366/#ixzz1xwT5sFyk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.