SkyscraperCity Forum banner

100 Bishopsgate | City of London | 172m | 40 fl

Tags
london
1M views 3K replies 462 participants last post by  leew1974 
#1 ·
I think a new thread is needed for this one as the news has now been confirmed by the Financial Times:

Great Portland in plan for soaring 40-storey City tower
By Jim Pickard, Property Correspondent
Published: May 25 2006 03:00 | Last updated: May 25 2006 03:00

Great Portland Estates, the London property group, is poised to submit a planning application this summer for a soaring 40-storey tower in the heart of the City.

Subscription required to read the full story. No doubt GPE is serious about this project. It is a top property developer like Land Sec. and British Land.

Herebelow the story posted by Willjfox04 earlier this year:

The skyscraper, designed by architects Allies and Morrison, would join a cluster of proposed towers in a small area of the Square Mile. Allies & Morrison are reported to be planning a 43-storey skyscraper on a site neighbouring Foster's SwissRe tower. If confirmed, this would be the 30th proposal over 500ft for London. Architect Allies and Morrison is planning a £200m development including a tower that could go next to Foster and Partners' Swiss Re building in the City of London. The architect has worked with consultant Gardiner & Theobald to draw up plans for a 43-storey tower on a site that includes 61 St Mary Axe. Foster's 41-storey tower is located at 30 St Mary Axe. The developer, Great Portland Estates, has combined a number of its land holdings in the City to produce a two-acre site on which it aims to create an office and retail development. As well as 61 St Mary Axe, Great Portland also has holdings on nearby sites at Bishopsgate and Camomile Street.

See less See more
#983 ·
I'm so excited about this project - although its design isn't as striking or innovative as the "big three", I think it will really add a huge amount of depth and weight to the cluster, and will also be great from the point of view of creating some real "canyons" in the city - the spaces between this and Heron tower/Plaza, and between this and Dashwood and 99 BIshopsgate should be really interesting.

Is there an ETA on when building work proper will be beginning on this? Are we likely to see it commence before 2011 is out?

#985 ·
Uguisu said:
I'm so excited about this project - although its design isn't as striking or innovative as the "big three", I think it will really add a huge amount of depth and weight to the cluster, and will also be great from the point of view of creating some real "canyons" in the city - the spaces between this and Heron tower/Plaza, and between this and Dashwood and 99 BIshopsgate should be really interesting.

Is there an ETA on when building work proper will be beginning on this? Are we likely to see it commence before 2011 is out?
Don't forget the biggie next to Broadgate extends it even further. Just need to pull down RBS to help fill the gap :)

#1,005 ·
Thanks for the updates everyone.

Personally I'm looking forward to seeing this building rise, it's easy to forget that at 172m this is tall for City standards. I think we're just being spoilt by the 200m+ towers going up, but this will make a significant impact on the skyline.

The whole area in 3 or 4 years time will look immense!

#1,006 ·
As I walked through the city yesterday, with all the gaps provided by the demolished buildings I was aware of and could see all the taller towers at once - it's an exciting scene already and I too look forward to the addition this building along with all the others going up in the city currently will make to that vista.

#1,010 ·
Ensignia said:
Thanks for the updates everyone.

Personally I'm looking forward to seeing this building rise, it's easy to forget that at 172m this is tall for City standards. I think we're just being spoilt by the 200m+ towers going up, but this will make a significant impact on the skyline.

The whole area in 3 or 4 years time will look immense!
Totally agree
This is one that has actually got taller from the original 150m proposal
Will look the same height as tower 42 from most views