SkyscraperCity Forum banner

What is the murder rate in your city?

977K views 5K replies 729 participants last post by  marcobruls 
#1 ·
I hope this isn't too bleak of a question! But since crime is a part of urban life, I'm curious what the murder rate is in your area - and whether or not that is seen as a big problem.

My own city is Portland, Oregon. The city of Portland has around 560,000 people. Last year (2006), it recorded 27 homicides. This includes "justifiable" homicides in the form of police shootings or self-defense incidents. So, Portland has a murder rate of 4.82 per 100,000 people for 2006. Out of every 100,000 residents in Portland, 4.82 were killed in one year. The US national average is 5.6 per 100,000, so, Portland is doing okay by that standard. However, it is still much higher than the Canadian national average of 2.1 per 100,000.

The worst city in the US for murders in 2006 was New Orleans. New Orleans has about 200,000 residents (this seems to be the best estimate), and recorded 162 murders in 2006. This means New Orleans had a rate of 81 per 100,000 per year. That is 16.8 times higher than Portland's murder rate.

How are things in your city?

#3,814 ·
fuzzer said:
sir, you have missed the point. there are three official sources that have national coverage. two of the sources all of a sudden (I've found the DANE stats) disagree with the police - very suddenly from 2009 onwards theyve gone in completely different directions. the police statistics are the ones you are using.

how many tourists and other foreigners have been murdered in colombia since 2008? the innocent american shot and killed in a medellin robbery just the other day is the latest in a long line. it's no coincidence that its happened after 2008.

What do murdered tourists have to do with it? Out of 3 million tourists every year a couple get murdered and that's supposed to mean something? :?

Also, both legal medicine AND the Police (these are the two primary sources, DANE simply collects data from them) give roughly the same numbers of murders, so what you are saying is BS.

I have sources and such, but too lazy to make an effort to show them to a troll.

#3,815 ·
well i can easily show you the sources you speak of, i might do that since you dont seem to be aware of what they actually state. why dide the DANE and INML increase murders by 2,500 and 3,000 in 2009 and the police decrease it by 300/400? That's a massive discrepancy. these are the figures youre using, the police decreases have suddenly fallen back in line in 2010/2011 with the INML and DaANE but from 2,000 to 4,000 less homicides respectively.

why are you usin g their stats and misleading people on here? it doesnt add up. im curious, theres really no excuse for using them thats all im asking.

#3,817 ·
I was reading that UN homicide report and it got me thinking and daydreaming about something:

Maybe my perception of whether a country is safe or unsafe (at least with regards to violent crime/murder/homicide) is probably shaped on whether I should drive a Jaguar XJ in that said country/territory.

For those who don't know, the Jaguar XJ (X351) is a superb vehicle......especially if you get say the Supersport version with 20 inch Mataiva wheels. :)

Problem with Jaguar vehicles though is that, even if they have tons of features along with stunning design inside & out, well.........their reliability is questionable. A lot of Jaguar XFs and some new XJ (X351) vehicles have lousy electronics that go fuzzy and sometimes, the cars actually stall and their batteries die out.

Hence, such a situation becomes bad if your car stalls and you are in a crime-infested area. Wrong place wrong time kinda thing.

So when I'm faced with the dilemma, it's either I would drive a Jag......or a German premium brand (e.g. Audi, BMW or MB).........or otherwise, I would choose a Lexus.

Here's what I've thought of:

Avoid Jaguar XJ
USA: Drive Lexus
Canada: Probably Lexus.....or maybe the Germans would be okay
Mexico: Definitely Lexus (if your Jag stalls, the drug cartels might kill you)
Puerto Rico: Lexus (though sadly, a man in a Lexus was shot dead in San Juan last year and woman in a Lexus almost got robbed but thankfully rammed her Lexus against the perpetrator)
South Africa: Lexus (SA violent crime is a mixed bag; some places like Gauteng are safe......but other areas like Port Elizabeth are crime infested)
Nigeria: Lexus
Bangladesh: Lexus
India: Lexus
Pakistan: Lexus

Drive Jaguar XJ:
United Kingdom: Definitely Jaguar
Ireland: Definitely Jaguar
Malta: Recommended would be Jaguar.......though I wonder if there's a dealership there
Rest of European Union: I would still be safe with the Jaguar
Singapore: Safe to drive a Jag
Malaysia: Safe to drive a Jag
Australia and New Zealand: Seems safe enough to drive a Jag
SAR territories (Hong Kong/Macau): Absolutely safe to drive a Jag :)
Mainland China: Safe enough (even if 10k+ murders a year over there, the murder rate is only like less than 2.0.....because of the huge overall population; that and I doubt any Mainland Chinese would want to kill me and steal my XJ)

Unsure/Neutral:
Philippines: Probably in some areas only (i.e. Makati, Fort Bonifacio, Eastwood City); AVOID Taft Avenue and the squatter areas of Tondo (where the 'icepick' hoodlums are)
Thailand: Unsure
Indonesia: Unsure
Rest of Europe (outside EU): Hmm.......I dunno. I'm not familiar with those areas
GCC Middle East: Unsure.....BUT not because of crime. I'm worried that the extreme heat of the GCC Middle East is too much for the Jag to handle (i.e. like the Range Rover Evoque that caught fire in Dubai)

So I guess, in some places where violent crime levels are relatively high, I guess I should just rent a Lexus just to be safe. Sure, Lexus (i.e. LS460) is very reliable.......but I don't think it has the same dynamism or excitment that an XJ Supersport can provide.

So I guess in that sense, for some places, I can't have my cake and eat it just yet.

Anyways, it's just a random thought I had in mind :)

#3,820 ·
USA: Yes. Drive the Lexus.
Canada: I think you can drive the German cars here. Jag should be fine
Mexico: I would actually pick an american car here.
Puerto Rico: I don't know. Pick american?
South Africa: Pick an old white second hand. In Gauteng, it is NOT safe. This place is full of car-jackers and murderers.
Nigeria: Best not to attract attention with a Lexus either
Bangladesh: Try to get a lexus first. Although I would imagine that you should get a cheap car due to sheer driving ethic and traffic issues.
India: Pick a Skoda. (It really does not make too much sense to drive a really expensive car here)
Pakistan: Pick a Honda
United Kingdom: Well the Jaguar does come from here...
Ireland: Close enough :D
Malta: I don't really know although I'd imagine that its fine.
Singapore: Drive the Jaguar XJ if you like. Be ready to pay masses.
Malaysia: Go ahead.
Australia and New Zealand: Go ahead.
SAR territories (Hong Kong/Macau): Drive absolutely anything you want to here. They have it all.
Mainland China: I wouldn't trust these blokes if I were you.

#3,819 ·
Blackraven said:
I was reading that UN homicide report and it got me thinking and daydreaming about something:

Maybe my perception of whether a country is safe or unsafe (at least with regards to violent crime/murder/homicide) is probably shaped on whether I should drive a Jaguar XJ in that said country/territory.

For those who don't know, the Jaguar XJ (X351) is a superb vehicle......especially if you get say the Supersport version with 20 inch Mataiva wheels. :)

Problem with Jaguar vehicles though is that, even if they have tons of features along with stunning design inside & out, well.........their reliability is questionable. A lot of Jaguar XFs and some new XJ (X351) vehicles have lousy electronics that go fuzzy and sometimes, the cars actually stall and their batteries die out.

Hence, such a situation becomes bad if your car stalls and you are in a crime-infested area. Wrong place wrong time kinda thing.

So when I'm faced with the dilemma, it's either I would drive a Jag......or a German premium brand (e.g. Audi, BMW or MB).........or otherwise, I would choose a Lexus.

Here's what I've thought of:

Avoid Jaguar XJ
USA: Drive Lexus
Canada: Probably Lexus.....or maybe the Germans would be okay
Mexico: Definitely Lexus (if your Jag stalls, the drug cartels might kill you)
Puerto Rico: Lexus (though sadly, a man in a Lexus was shot dead in San Juan last year and woman in a Lexus almost got robbed but thankfully rammed her Lexus against the perpetrator)
South Africa: Lexus (SA violent crime is a mixed bag; some places like Gauteng are safe......but other areas like Port Elizabeth are crime infested)
Nigeria: Lexus
Bangladesh: Lexus
India: Lexus
Pakistan: Lexus

Drive Jaguar XJ:
United Kingdom: Definitely Jaguar
Ireland: Definitely Jaguar
Malta: Recommended would be Jaguar.......though I wonder if there's a dealership there
Singapore: Safe to drive a Jag
Malaysia: Safe to drive a Jag
Australia and New Zealand: Seems safe enough to drive a Jag
SAR territories (Hong Kong/Macau): Absolutely safe to drive a Jag :)
Mainland China: Safe enough (even if 10k+ murders a year over there, the murder rate is only like less than 2.0.....because of the huge overall population; that and I doubt any Mainland Chinese would want to kill me and steal my XJ)

Unsure/Neutral:
Philippines: Probably in some areas only (i.e. Makati, Fort Bonifacio, Eastwood City); AVOID Taft Avenue and the squatter areas of Tondo (where the 'icepick' hoodlums are)
Thailand: Unsure
Indonesia: Unsure
Rest of Europe (outside EU): Hmm.......I dunno. I'm not familiar with those areas
GCC Middle East: Unsure.....BUT not because of crime. I'm worried that the extreme heat of the GCC Middle East is too much for the Jag to handle (i.e. like the Range Rover Evoque that caught fire in Dubai)

So I guess, in some places where violent crime levels are relatively high, I guess I should just rent a Lexus just to be safe. Sure, Lexus (i.e. LS460) is very reliable.......but I don't think it has the same dynamism or excitment that an XJ Supersport can provide.

So I guess in that sense, for some places, I can't have my cake and eat it just yet.

Anyways, it's just a random thought I had in mind :)
I shall comment on this in a bit because it seems like something I've thought about too.

#3,821 ·
#3,822 ·
#3,843 ·
Source it pal. You can't expect people to just believe that and we're not even halfway through the year.

Considering it's probably 40 from the DANE in 2011 it's amazing how it's gone down to a projected 26 in 2012 (though it's decreasing). That's a decrease approaching half in one year which is a nonsense.

#3,825 ·
This weekend, 7 people killed and 35 more shot..... Bloody and hot summer so far in Chicago

#3,827 ·
:skull: Peoria, IL (USA) :skull: up to 7 homicides as of early Sunday morning. I've lost count of the number of other violent crimes that have occurred throughout the city and Summer's, just, beginning. But, don't be fooled by it's crime statistics. MY :skull: hometown :skull: is, actually, a very nice place to live and visit....

" WELCOME TO PEORIA! "

(image from http://www.legaljuice.com )​

#3,838 · (Edited)
In the early 1970s was a few years after MLK's assassination, which led to riots, and large sections of the South and particularly West side being burned. The gangs at that point took advantage of the despair in those communities and began organizing into mega gangs. Disciples, Vicelords, Black Stones.... A similar situation was happening in LA with the Crips and Bloods.

There are literally 100000 gang members in the city of Chicago, with an additional 15000-20000 throughout the suburbs.. You also had racial conflict as white flight out of the city accelerated when Hispanics and Blacks began moving into traditionally white ethnic neighborhoods.

Today most (but not all) of the African American communities are complete wastelands. 180000 African Americans left the city in the last 10 years, and I am sure just as many if not more will leave come time of the 2020 census. Many Hispanic communities are also gang infested, which is why Hispanic growth rate in the city went from 25000 a year during the 1990's to a mere 2500 a year during this last decade.

#3,840 ·
^^

The city of Chicago doesn't have 4 million, it has 2.7 million with about 9.8 million in the metro area.

#3,841 ·
Then its even worse. Crime rates similar to Monterrey in 2010 after 12 months of drug violence.

#3,842 ·
Woe, I thought Dublin was bad for gun murders, but looking at those statistics some areas of Chicago are just totally covered by gangs. What is the worst area or areas in the City of Chicago that are effected, is it mostly some areas on the South side or is there other areas completely effected by gangs?

Edit* Sorry didn't see the map above ^^, that kind of answers my question. :lol:

#3,844 ·
I want Baleares to come back on to explain the discrepancies in his homicide statistics for Pernambuco, Recife and Brazil as a whole with the health department.

Maybe Yuri can explain, I'm baffled. A lot of people say murders are going down in Brazil and it's not true at all.

#3,846 ·
Because there were actually a small improvement from the 1990's and early 2000's. Unfortunetely, on the past two years, the falling trend has stopped. Some states are reducing violence (Rio de Janeiro, Pernambuco), while in others it's exploding (Bahia, Paraná).

These are my posts with historic figures for Brazil, São Paulo and Paraná states, and my city, Londrina.

Homicides in Brazil 2010

Gazeta do Povo 11/11/11
http://www.gazetadopovo.com.br/pazs...idios-caem-pela-primeira-vez-no-PR-em-15-anos

^^
49,900 homicides in the country. The data, although, come from the Ministry of Health so it's higher than the official numbers (about 40,000), as they probably include deaths caused by the law enforcement in duty.
São Paulo state (41 million people) is the Brazilian model for crime fight. In few years dropped from one of the most violent to the 2nd least. The plunge:

1999 --- 52.69
2000 --- 50.17
2001 --- 55.25
2002 --- 45.51
2003 --- 49.26
2004 --- 35.59
2005 --- 21.75
2006 --- 15.65
2007 --- 13.39
2008 --- 13.29
2009 --- 14.36
2010 --- 14.52
Q1 of 2011 --- 9.52

http://www1.folha.uol.com.br/cotidi...aem-19-no-estado-de-sp-no-1-tri-de-2011.shtml

In a symbolic, on December 7th of 2007, the city of São Paulo experienced the first day without murders since the 1950's: http://veja.abril.com.br/191207/p_114.shtml
Londrina, southern Brazil

Population (Censo 2010): 506,000
Population (Censo 2000): 447,000

Homicides:

2010: 108
2009: 130
2008: 128
2007: 86
2006: 116
2005: 125
2004: 176
2003: 191
Londrina 2011:

92 homicides or a 18 homicides/100,000 inhabitants/year rate. The bad thing is, between Jan-Sep 2011, it was only 42. The solving rate is about 65%.

http://londrina.odiario.com/policia...da-nos-homicidios-porem-2012-comeca-violento/
1Q 2012: 31 homicides (14 in January)
1Q 2011: 17 homicides

According to the local deputy, 90% of the murders are related to criminal activities, especially drugs.

Out of those 31, only 1 was a female. 12 were males between 20-30 years old. 7, between 30-40.

http://www.folhaweb.com.br/?id_folha=2-1--543-20120404

About the discrepancies on the numbers, I believe I've already addressed this issue, but I couldn't find the post.

We have in Brazil two sources for homicide numbers: the figures from the Health Ministry and the ones from the states' public security departments. Usually, the counting is higher (about 5-6%) on the health stats as the public departments might rule out a death as non-murder. Also deaths caused by law enforcement agents on duty, might not count either.

#3,851 ·
Latest rolling 12 month figure for Greater London, UK is exactly 100 homicides for the June 11 to May 12 period, that's a rate of 1.28 per 100k continuing the sharp reduction in recent years.

Here are the different boroughs ranked by homicide rate over that 12 month period, all raw data from the Metropolitan Police website.

Haringey 3.11
Islington 3.09
Croydon 2.60
Wandsworth 2.42
Brent 2.34
Bexley 2.19
Southwark 2.09
Hammersmith & Fulham 1.77
Lambeth 1.76
Camden 1.70
Tower Hamlets 1.68
Lewisham 1.50
Redbridge 1.48
Hackney 1.37
Greenwich 1.31
Ealing 1.26
Hillingdon 1.13
Merton 0.96
Waltham Forest 0.88
Barnet 0.86
Newham 0.83
Westminster 0.79
Enfield 0.68
Kingston-upon-Thames 0.59
Barking & Dagenham 0.56
Hounslow 0.42
Bromley 0.32
Harrow 0.00
Havering 0.00
Sutton 0.00
Richmond-upon-Thames 0.00
Kensington & Chelsea 0.00

So the population is split as follows:

0.42m (5.4%) of the population of Greater London lives in borough with a homicide rate >3.0

1.41m (18.0%) in boroughs between 2.00 and 2.99

1.19m (15.3%) in boroughs between 1.50 and 1.99

1.30m (16.7%) in boroughs between 1.00 and 1.49

1.92m (24.6%) in boroughs between 0.50 and 0.99

1.57m (20.1%) in boroughs <0.50

#3,854 ·
LA has had one less homicide compared to last year, and according to the press release today, has the lowest crime rate per capita of all the big cities (LA, NYC, Chicago, Houston)

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...ig-cities.html

L.A. has lowest crime among big U.S. cities, midyear figures show
July 11, 2012 | 6:33 pm

At the year’s midway point, crime rates in Los Angeles generally have continued their decade-long decline, according to police figures released Wednesday.

The crime totals were announced by Los Angeles Police Chief Charlie Beck and Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa at a morning news conference. They heralded the continued fall in violent crimes with Beck calling Los Angeles “the safest big city in America.”

Through the end of June, the city experienced just shy of 9,000 violent crimes, a category that includes homicides, rapes, robberies and aggravated assaults. The total marked a nearly 9% drop compared with the same time last year, according to LAPD figures. With 147 homicides committed so far this year, the rate of killing is about the same as 2010 and puts the city on pace to have fewer than 300 killings for the third consecutive year –- a historic benchmark that is four times lower than the peak Los Angeles reached in the late 1990s. Robbery and aggravated assaults also are down, and the number of rapes has risen slightly in 2012.

Gang crimes, a major factor in the city’s crime landscape, also fell. Gang-related killings are down 8%, while the 405 people shot by gang gunfire represented a 21% drop.

The decline in violent crime was tempered somewhat by property-related crime statistics. Overall the number of burglaries, auto thefts, and other types of thefts fell by 1% throughout the city, but there were several areas of the city that saw significant increases. In areas patrolled by the LAPD’s Central Bureau, for example, thefts rose by 9%. The department’s South Bureau also had increases.

Beck attributed those increases, in part, to the state’s on-going effort to lower its prison population through the so-called realignment law, under which some convicts now serve sentences in local jails instead of being sent to state facilities. Beck acknowledged it was not possible to know the exact impact the law is having on crime rates but said it would be “foolish” to assume it was not contributing to the rise in property crimes.
[Update, 7:26 p.m., July 11: In an interview with The Times, Beck explained why he believes the realignment law is contributing to increases in property crimes. Under the law, he said, offenders receive less supervision and assistance programs after being released and so are more likely to commit new crimes.]

“Crime is not down in all categories; crime is not down in all parts of the city,” Beck said, “but ... our strategies in crime reduction are working. The course this department has charted, the course this administration has charted have had an extremely positive effect on Los Angeles. It wasn’t so long that this city was known as the murder capital of the United States. That is not true any more.”

In calling Los Angeles the safest big city in the country, Beck was comparing its per capita violent crime rate to Houston, Chicago and New York, the three other cities with at least 2 million residents. According to figures compiled by the FBI, the rate in L.A. is the lowest of the four.

The LAPD’s overall success were contrasted by the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, which patrols the county’s unincorporated areas and many of its smaller cities. Violent and property crimes in those areas rose 6% during the first half of this year, according to Sheriff’s Department statistics.

The homicide total fell by 9%, giving Sheriff Lee Baca a bright spot in a largely disappointing midyear report. His department, he said, was “focusing on crime every day like never before.”

“There is good news, but we are not ignoring the challenges,” Baca said.

#3,856 ·
LA has had one less homicide compared to last year, and according to the press release today, has the lowest crime rate per capita of all the big cities (LA, NYC, Chicago, Houston)

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...ig-cities.html

L.A. has lowest crime among big U.S. cities, midyear figures show
July 11, 2012 | 6:33 pm

Got to watch the videos in the links

July 11, 2012 6:36 PM
PRINT TEXT
Chicago police sergeant: "Tribal warfare" on the streets

(CBS News) CHICAGO - Chicago is in the grips of a deadly gang war. At least 275 people have been killed in the city so far this year and many more have been shot, many of them innocent bystanders to the gang violence. Among the latest victims were 12- and 13-year-old girls shot Tuesday night. They survived.

Sgt. Matt Little leads one of the teams in Chicago's Gang Enforcement Unit. There are about 200 such officers in the city-- versus 100,000 gang members.

"Almost all the violence we're seeing now is from the gangs," Little said. "When there's a shooting we'll respond to the shooting. We'll figure out where we believe the most likely area for retaliation is and we'll work that area trying to both prevent retaliation and possibly build a case on offenders."

CBS News rode along with Little's team as dusk fell on poor neighborhoods of vacant lots and high anxiety.

"The gangs have lost their hierarchy, so to speak, and without a chain of command, there's really nobody keeping things in check," Little said. The leaders are mostly in prison -- or dead. Those left are young, reckless, and often terrible shots.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_1...olice-sergeant-tribal-warfare-on-the-streets/

July 5, 2012 6:59 PM
PRINT TEXT
Chicagoans trapped between heat and crime

(CBS News) CHICAGO - The sun is showing no mercy. The mercury soared again Thursday in the central and eastern United States, with temperatures in the 90s and over 100. The weather service put out a heat advisory for much of the region, including Illinois. The temperature in Chicago hit 103, breaking a record that had stood for more than a century.

And the heat wave may be aggravating a crime wave. There were 22 more shootings in Chicago overnight, five of them deadly. So far this year, the city has had 272 homicides. We take a look at crime in the heat of the night.

The victims of Chicago's increasingly bloody summer are trapped now between a plague of gangland violence and the onset of triple-digit heat.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_1...n-heat-and-crime/?tag=contentMain;contentBody

#3,860 · (Edited)

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1277467

Brazil got to decrease it's Homicide Rate again. In 2010 it was 21.9 homicides per 100 thousand inhabitants . The index decreased 2.1% related to 2009.

Source

Just remember that in 2005 the Homicide Rate was 26 per 100 thousand inhabitants. Being so, we expect for Brazil to reach something like 12 homicide rate about 2022, what is so-called by WHO as "acceptable" rates . Of course, if the decreasing continue being 2.1% per year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.