SkyscraperCity Forum banner
61 - 80 of 103 Posts
Andorra: 2.405 in the Valira mountain pass.

Take a look going down to France because at 2350m there is a kart circuit (Can it be the highest in the world?)

Border is at Pas de la Casa. There is a 3 km tunnel down the pass. Both entrances to the tunnel, west and east are at Andorra, but eastern is closed, closed to border to France and the road is prepared to cross a little French territory to go from Pas de la Casa to the rest of the country of Andorra. It could be possible to do without crossing the border, but there are no a lot of space.

Border custom cabins are some kilometres inside France.

No Slovenia yet? Here we go. 600m+ on highways; Karavanke enterance, Postojna Gate and Čebulovica pass. Latest probably around 650. As for (sub)standard paved roads: Mangart ring road: 2000+.

Poland:

Highest A-road: A4 Góra Świętej Anny, 386 metres
Highest S-road (motorway standard): S69 @ Aquapark Bielsko-Biała, 410 metres
Highest S-road (non-motorway standard): S69 @ Tunnel Emilia, 678 metres
Highest DK-road (Class GP): DK7 Chabówka, 684 metres
Highest DK-road (Non-Class GP): DK8 Szklarska Poręba, 890 metres
Highest main road: DW960 @ Gubałówka, gm. Bukowina Tatrzańska, 1142 metres
Highest publicly accessible paved road: Przełęcz Karkonoska, 1198 metres
Highest publicly accessible dirt track: Schronisko @ Turbacz, 1280 metres
Highest non-publicly accessible paved road: Morskie Oko, 1410 metres

There are tracks going up higher into the Tatra Mountains, but I'm unsure whether one could get anything bigger than a quad up those...

G219 Xin-Zang Highway: Fully paved since Oct 2013.
Highest point: around 5200m - 5300m at Hongtu Pass (Some said the elevation is 5260m according to GPS while some other claimed it's 5370m)
elevation profile borrowed from Wiki

I drove through this highway in 2010, pictures taken in that trip:
Wow. The record altitude reached ever by a car is not much higher than that. How did the car behave? Did you feel a significant loss of power?

No-one seems to have done Norway:

Dead-end road to Juvasshytta - 1841 m.
Mountain pass: Sognefjellet - 1434 m (also highest numbered road, the fv 55).
National road: Hardangervidda - 1250 m (rv 7)
E road: Haukeli - 1085 m (E134)
Motorway: Don't know, probably E6 somewhere around Kløfta/Jessheim or E16 close to Gardermoen. Roughly 200 m, though.

Wow. The record altitude reached ever by a car is not much higher than that. How did the car behave? Did you feel a significant loss of power?
The ambient pressure logged with my laptop was around 53 kPa at one of the pass "Jieshan Pass" (界山达坂) where I stayed for a while to fly my RC plane. This level of pressure is slightly above a half of ambient pressure at sea level. Therefore in theory the engine (a natural aspirated PSA EW10J4 2.0L petrol) can only achieve at most half of its nominal power output. In fact, I was very satisfied with its behavior, it easily drove at 150kph on the tarmac at around 4500m, and climbed the mountains without much effort. I think that was largely be cause the car was calibrated in China to suit the local environment.

One interesting thing was that I met a guy who was driving a Subaru Forester 2.0NA on the same highway, his car wasn't doing very well--it struggled at every small hill when the elevation went above 4000m. That car was imported from Japan -- where there's no way to get that high even you drove it to the top of Fuji mountain.

And I did see some reports from Land Rover owners who were trying to do the similar trip that their car struggled at above 4000m. One of them had to reverse down and went back home due to complete loss of power at high altitude.

Attached is the data log on that day.
MAP: Manifold Absolute Pressure, in kPa

Loads of pictures in here:
http://www.xcar.com.cn/bbs/photo/13702031/0.htm

China

G318 Chuan-Zang Highway: Highest point above 5000m
Paved except for few sections where the geographic condition doesn't allow that

Elevation profile borrowed from http://www.lasalvshe.com/

I drove along this highway from Shanghai(0km) until Tingri (around 5215km) where I left it for the base camp of the Mountain Everest. The highway ends at China-Nepal border making it 5476km long.

The ambient pressure logged with my laptop was around 53 kPa at one of the pass "Jieshan Pass" (界山达坂) where I stayed for a while to fly my RC plane. This level of pressure is slightly above a half of ambient pressure at sea level. Therefore in theory the engine (a natural aspirated PSA EW10J4 2.0L petrol) can only achieve at most half of its nominal power output. In fact, I was very satisfied with its behavior, it easily drove at 150kph on the tarmac at around 4500m, and climbed the mountains without much effort. I think that was largely be cause the car was calibrated in China to suit the local environment.

One interesting thing was that I met a guy who was driving a Subaru Forester 2.0NA on the same highway, his car wasn't doing very well--it struggled at every small hill when the elevation went above 4000m. That car was imported from Japan -- where there's no way to get that high even you drove it to the top of Fuji mountain.

And I did see some reports from Land Rover owners who were trying to do the similar trip that their car struggled at above 4000m. One of them had to reverse down and went back home due to complete loss of power at high altitude.

Attached is the data log on that day.
MAP: Manifold Absolute Pressure, in kPa

Loads of pictures in here:
http://www.xcar.com.cn/bbs/photo/13702031/0.htm
Wow, what a trip! Hope I can climb there one day, highest altitude I've reached so far is 2.000 meters in Coll de Pal, a road climbing up to a ski resort in the Spanish Pyrenees.

61 - 80 of 103 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.