Road Network: 847m
Motorway Network: 439m

Edit: Sorry, I forgot to put "of" between Point and Each

#87 ·
National Road

N339 (1950 meters of altitude) »»» Estrela Mountain Range

Motorway

A24 (1070 meters of altitude)
I've been at both of these places in February 2013, we experienced snow at Estrela and really interesting queues of cars and people, that wanted to experience snow in Portugal :)

Btw A24 is really amazing road to drive, up and down all the time from Chaves to Viseu, huge bridges and nice landscape ....

#93 ·
And they give it in FEET! (And only feet.) Warms my heart.... ;-)

#91 ·
^^
Local summit signs claim that its elevation is 5,602 m (18,379 ft) metres high and that it is the world's highest motorable pass. But these claims are disputed by multiple modern measurements, which all agree that its true height is much nearer to the 5,359 m (17,582 ft) measured using DGPS and imply that there are several higher motorable passes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khardung_La

The Mana Pass road in India reaches 5,610 m (18,406 ft) anyway.

#99 ·
Ah right. It's not the same as the elevation data in Google Earth though (where it gives the elevation of where your mouse is pointed).

Apparently they have detailed elevation data of the entire world. I remember the early days of Google Earth where detailed terrain was only available in a few countries.

#97 ·
Verso beat me to it. Zoom in enough and the elevations appear (at least in the area I just experimented with, the Blue Ridge of Virginia).

#98 ·
Perhaps the Dutch version of GMaps doesn't have elevations.... :jk:

Reactions: riiga
#101 ·
In Australia, the highest road would probably be Alpine Way between Thredbo and Khancoban in New South Wales as it is close to Mount Kosciusko, which is Australia's highest peak at 2228m above sea level.

As for the highest point for any motorway, it may possibly be the M1 South Eastern Freeway around Crafers in the Adelaide Hills, South Australia which is at about 300m above sea level. However, the A32 Great Western Highway at Katoomba has a limited access section with a grade separated interchange on the western edges, and it is about 1000m above sea level.

#102 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.