SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Well then?? What American Dialect are you????

7K views 109 replies 70 participants last post by  Audiomuse 
#1 ·
Born and lived in Iowa for 22 years, been in Chicago for the past 5. My results pretty much made sense. Click the link, it only takes a few

70% General American English
20% Upper Midwestern
10% Midwestern
0% Dixie
0% Yankee

http://www.blogthings.com/amenglishdialecttest

#4 ·
85% General American English
10% Yankee
5% Dixie
0% Midwestern
0% Upper Midwestern

these numbers really tell where we live

#10 ·
Your Linguistic Profile:
75% General American English
15% Upper Midwestern
5% Midwestern
5% Yankee
0% Dixie

I got nailed when I said pop. I actually usually say Soda now, but said pop "which is definitely pronounced "pahp") originally. Glad to see the 0% Dixie. I have been fighting it off for years. lol

#15 ·
ROCguy said:
They say pop all along the shores of the Great Lakes.... from Milwaukee/Chicago to Buffalo and Rochester, NY.
milwaukee is "soda" country.

"pop" & "soda" are completely interchangeable in chicago, though "pop" does predominate here. being from chicago, the pop vs. soda debates always seemed very strange to me becuase it seemed like people were arguing between "car" and "automobile"; two completely normal, but differnet, words for the same exact thing. i guess in other places the issue is much more one side or the other. in chicago, we're neutral on the pop/soda thing.

#21 ·
65% General American English
25% Yankee
10% Dixie
0% Midwestern
0% Upper Midwestern

#23 ·
Since we mentioned pop and soda, here's a map I'm sure many of you have seen. I find it weird Indy is so coked out. And once again St. Louis is a scar on our nation...KIDDING KIDDING. Way to be yourself Alaska.

#24 ·
Chicagoago said:
Since we mentioned pop and soda, here's a map I'm sure many of you have seen. I find it weird Indy is so coked out. And once again St. Louis is a scar on our nation...KIDDING KIDDING. Way to be yourself Alaska.

stupid ******** call everything coke

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.