SkyscraperCity Forum banner

The Incredible Neighbourhoods of Hamilton

256K views 874 replies 77 participants last post by  flar 
#1 · (Edited)
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

One of the most interesting cities in Canada from an urban perspective, Hamilton is filled with distinctive neighbourhoods. I've photographed many of them over the past couple years and I've decided to share them in this thread. I'll post one tour now, and if there are enough replies to get to the next page of the thread I'll post another one, and another one, and so on (I can't just post like 200 pics on one page or it would be impossible to look at!).

So check back often. If you like urban neighbourhoods, streetcar suburbs, Victorian rows, working class vernacular, mansions, shopping districts and a wide variety of residential architecture you won't be disappointed
:)

See less See more
#654 · (Edited)
Ivor Wynne Stadium is a ways east of this neighbourhood, probably close to a mile. The stadium neighbouhrood is Stipley. I haven't taken many pictures around that area except South Stipley, which I partially showed in the St. Clair tour (because it is more similar to St. Clair than north Stipley.

I still haven't explored most of Hamilton east of Sherman and north of King/Main. It's a huge area that was built up quickly starting in the early 1900s. There are a lot more modest frame houses further east, often owner built, but also many subdivisions with homes built by speculators as evidenced by identical homes side by side. There are some commercial streets out that way too. One I showed on here was Ottawa Street, which is now the fabric and textile district. Kenilworth and Parkdale are the other main streets running north-south, both suffering commercial vacancies and decline. The east-west commercial streets in East Hamilton are King, Main and Barton, all with varying levels of retail health.

#676 ·
Enjoyed the photos. Love Hamilton, and can't wait to get back there this summer. There are so many cool old buildings in there. This city is a renovator's wet dream. Maybe I'd take in a Tiger Cats game as well, or MAC in September.

#680 ·
Thanks everyone :)

I have several more tours to post, then it will end. Once I move to Ottawa I probably won't be back in Hamilton for a long long time.

Great looking city! :yes:
Btw, is that supertall tower still going to be built? The pyramid-shaped one. It was supposed to be nearly 300 meters tall. Just wondered what the status was on it. :)
Thanks.
That tower is canceled, the developer is now working on a more modest and realistic proposal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.