SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Manchester Victoria Station

2M views 8K replies 446 participants last post by  Tony_H1 
#1 ·
A hidden jewel in Manchester's transport arsenal, if only a bit of money was spent on it, it would mean Manchester having 2 world class Rail gateways, with Piccadilly Being the ultra modern one and Victoria being it's classy Sister.

Its a crying shame whats happened to Victoria, its dark, dingy, is only served by crappy cattle wagons, and has no shops whats so ever.

If only the council and the train companies would step in to clean up the place and give it the attention her achitects envisaged,

Get it sorted, its closer to The City Centre then Piccadilly and would be a even classier station.

#1,185 ·
If I understand correctly, the biggest new demand at Victoria in the future will be through services. There was mention in the early Northern Hub documents of West facing bays (I think for services to Atherton) - but Joseph Locke didn't think that wouldn't happen (possibly superseded by tram-train or the bay at Stalybridge). Anyway, I think the general idea of the northern hub scheme is to make as many services go through as possible to increase connectivity throughout the North....
I’ve been pondering this. These are my non-expert observations :

I can see that from a connectivity perspective it makes sense for Vic to be primarily a “through” station.
However - it is generally used as if it were a terminus - regardless of whether trains pass though or not. In other words a shit load of people get off in the mornings and get on in the evenings... not much happens in the opposite way.
This is fine for platforms 1 and 2 as you don’t have to negotiate any stairs... and this is where my Todmorden trains generally departs from / arrives into.
Occasionally - for no obvious reason - it will go into platform 4 or 5.
This is a real pain in the arse - and the mutterings of displeasure among fellow passengers is evident ! It might only take a few extra minutes to shuffle up the stairs, over the tracks and down again - but it feels like it takes for ever - particularly when you are delayed anyway.
With 1 train disembarking it gets very crowded on the steps. Occasionally 2 trains disembark at the same time, and this in my view is teetering on the dangerous... too many people on the platform trying to get up 1 stair case.. not good... and if you happen to be trying to get ON to the platform to board, you may as well forget it.
I’ve never seen 3 trains - perhaps the controller person prevents this happening - but if it were to happen it would be a death trap.
So - given the presumed goal of running longer trains carrying more passengers - something will need to be done... you’d need to at least double, probably triple stair capacity. But with the arena above it’s hard to see how it could be done.
It would almost make more sense to have some sort of draw-bridge at platform level that can be raised for through trains - making it a semi-terminus - but I cant see the HSE going for that.
Or perhaps a subterranean concourse, so you only have to go up or down rather than both at the pinch-point... or you could have more stair cases accessing the platforms from below. No easy solution - but if Vic is to serve more passengers using through platforms - someone needs to think about it. As a regular user of Vic - I see platform access being the limiting capacity factor rather than anything else.
Perhaps it’s all in-hand and I’ve just missed it ?? ... or perhaps the intention is to down-grade Vic - capacity wise ? .. but that seems counter to the presumed aim of improving the station, to presumably attract more passengers.

#1,186 · (Edited)
Does anyone know why the tunnel under Victoria was closed? I remember using it, it was very wide and well lit, surely re-opening it would be the wise thing to do. There's even room down there for coffee/hotdog kiosk installations, it seems an opportunity missed, and would allow easy segregation of Arena bound traffic.

Edit: Images here, courtesy of http://www.flickr.com/photos/patric_roft/

#1,188 ·
Does anyone know why the tunnel under Victoria was closed? I remember using it, it was very wide and well lit, surely re-opening it would be the wise thing to do. There's even room down there for coffee/hotdog kiosk installations, it seems an opportunity missed, and would allow easy segregation of Arena bound traffic.
Platforms 4,5 and 6 aren't in the same locations as the old through platforms, so there's a problem straight away. You'd need completely new access down to the subway. It's interesting that in a number of places, previously closed subways are being reinstated to cope with passenger demand and/or comply with Disability legislation. Oxford Rd and the disused parcels subway is a good example.

#1,192 ·
Does anyone know why the tunnel under Victoria was closed?
I would speculate, paranoia over potential IRA targets may have played a part. It also led to the removal of most of the metal litter bins in town- something they've never replaced with great enthusiasm.

Subways in general aren't really de rigueur when it comes to town planning these days because of the anti-social nature of them.

#1,193 ·

Edit: Images here, courtesy of http://www.flickr.com/photos/patric_roft/

Woof. Those images to me epitomise the deep sadness in Manchester. Wonderful enigmatic imagery all there but for one missing item - people. Such a sad place.
Imagine exactly the same physical infrastructure in London and then imagine the vast throng of human diversity using it.
It's the rich diversity of buzzing productive humanity that makes an urban place; not sterile under-utilised former glory.
Sighs....I'm thinking this town doesn't inspire me anymore. Time to move on. Probably.

#1,194 ·
Woof. Those images to me epitomise the deep sadness in Manchester. Wonderful enigmatic imagery all there but for one missing item - people. Such a sad place.
Imagine exactly the same physical infrastructure in London and then imagine the vast throng of human diversity using it.
It's the rich diversity of buzzing productive humanity that makes an urban place; not sterile under-utilised former glory.
Sighs....I'm thinking this town doesn't inspire me anymore. Time to move on. Probably.
Well, it seems a little 'lonely' probably because it's blocked off for public use?

I get what you mean though

#1,198 ·

Yeah Manchester's dead these days isn't it...

:dunno: