SkyscraperCity Forum banner
161 - 180 of 3,788 Posts
I'd rather see service improvements now than wait 10 years for new rollingstock to be delivered... Once the rollingstock is available and the patronage warrants it, switch back to 6 car sets.
Six-car sets run at acceptable frequencies during peak so why wouldn't they be able to run off-peak as well?

This is one thing that has always baffled - take Ryde Depot, for example. They have a half-million dollar bus that makes one trip in the morning peak (e.g. on a route 297 service) then probably sits in the depot all day, then back out for 1 (max 2) runs in the evening peak. What a waste of capital (purchasing the bus) and real estate (required to house the bus when its not in service) when they could spend that little bit extra on a driver and fuel to run the bus on several off-peak services - thereby attracting more patronage to the network and ultimately justifying the decision to run more services.

To some extent peak demand is a function of the lack of services in the shoulder-peak and off-peak periods, thus PT service providers are digging themselves a hole by not running these extra services and, at the same time, requiring extra buses/trains that sit idle for large periods of the day.

The bodies are built by Volgren to the standard CR228L design. Volgren's main factory is at Dandenong in Melbourne with a second Perth factory and Brisbane Transport builds their own using parts/design from Volgren. Theres a lot of these running around Melbourne too, and a few in Sydney.

It's also good to see I'm not the only one who steals Todd Milton's photos!

BT are the only bus company that actually builds its own buses. The CR228L body design is a very good one, and should be purchased in their hundreds. Beats a Bustech VST (not that you WA boys would know what that is). As for QR 30 min off peak frequency, it is the greatest pain of our network, to be honest there might be a middle man between 1/2 hour expresses from say caboolture/ipswich with more frequent all stoppers. Or even 20 minute frequency before heading to the 15 min freq. For some reason TL has something against the number 20. Its either 15 or 30.

But back to TransPerth, the network over there is expanding at a great rate of knots, and I hope to get over there one day to check it all out first hand. Pity a ticket from Brissy to Perth is not a cheap prospect. Where's Jetstar & Tiger on BNE - PER.

Do these have cushioning seats? Much prefer the soft cushioning seats the much older buses had. The newer buses feel like your sitting in a genetic seat mould, straight from the plastics factory ..plus I can't breath on these buses. The driver determines whether to turn on the air conditioning (oxygen) and to what level he feels most comfortable at it seems.

At least you have modern air cond buses. Here in Melbourne we have 18yr old MAN SL200s like this one still with the original air conditioning. When it works its only a slight breeze - but one of my worst experiences was on a sticky summers night when I caught one with the air conditioning not working. Absolutely awful. Thankfully we don't use them at night anymore.

Do these have cushioning seats? Much prefer the soft cushioning seats the much older buses had. The newer buses feel like your sitting in a genetic seat mould, straight from the plastics factory ..plus I can't breath on these buses. The driver determines whether to turn on the air conditioning (oxygen) and to what level he feels most comfortable at it seems.
nah same seats, although they are hell for me, cause they have a funny mould, but built for the average sized person. I'm 194cm rofl, I don't fit, hurts my back :(

As for the temperature control, I wonder sometimes if its automatic, cause one second its nice air coming out, then its freezing cold, then warm. weird, no bus driver would be that retarded lol.

I can see coloured fabric in that bus pic ?
I want windows that open I think.. but once upon a time I hated them. If the person in front had theirs opened, it would mess with my hair :p..But I'm not so 'conscious with that issue any more these days.
I seriously sometimes find it hard to breath on these buses..and start cursing the driver..then hope for someone to get off so the door would open and let some 'real' air in...Then I hate when people get off because you just want to get to your destination..No win situation ..Anyway, I do catch cabs more so these days if I can't drive... Maybe I just a fuken whinger ?:lol:

Does anyone have any interior photos of the buses and trains in Perth?

The seats on the newer buses here in the Adelaide Hills are so gay, the style is foul and uncomfortable. But I think its just confined to the hills.

I can see coloured fabric in that bus pic ?
I want windows that open I think.. but once upon a time I hated them. If the person in front had theirs opened, it would mess with my hair :p..But I'm not so 'conscious with that issue any more these days.
I seriously sometimes find it hard to breath on these buses..and start cursing the driver..then hope for someone to get off so the door would open and let some 'real' air in...Then I hate when people get off because you just want to get to your destination..No win situation ..Anyway, I do catch cabs more so these days if I can't drive... Maybe I just a fuken whinger ?:lol:
My freind who is still at school said a few weeks ago he hopped on a brand new bus that had started that very day, said it felt like a brand new car and had that good smell. Anyway he goes on to tell me how a window near the back opened. I too hate the fact that the windows don't open to it was good news to me that the newest fleet of buses had 2 windows that opened.

LOL It also pisses me off when people get on and off. I hated coming home from school for this very reason. My home was at most 10 min on the bus so I guess i'm just a whingy bitch too :p

The seats on the newer buses here in the Adelaide Hills are so gay, the style is foul and uncomfortable. But I think its just confined to the hills.
That is the standard Grenda Group interior, and they own Transitplus. Grendas, Moorabbin Transit, Cardinia Transit, Peninsula Bus Lines and Portsea Passenger Service in Melbourne all have identical interiors on their buses - in fact the latter one has 14.5m buses that are almost identical to Transitplus's ones, minus the livery ;)

Here is photos of inside Perth buses I found from PATH Transit's website

The one with the 2002 date is the type I was whingeing about. Although they look better than the older types, the seats are uncomfortable compared to their predecessors. Those seats have fabric, however, look just as uncomfortable...plus sealed windows.

161 - 180 of 3,788 Posts