#1 ·
Projects:

- Hospital Bend
- Koeberg Interchange
- Granger Bay Boulevard
- R300
- General road upgrades
- Airport Interchange

Including plans,images of progress and construction strategies.

#425 ·
Flip a month behind when they've only got 97 days to kickoff is quite a large chunck.....hopefully they can pull it out the bag!! Would be great if it was up and running for the WC, imagine the traffic chaos if it isnt ready in time..... Sigh - the tourists will not be impressed.....:bash:

#430 ·
I always believed that the plan was to reroute the N2 on a new freeway alignment from just before the R102 Van Riebeek Road exit (the present end of the freeway) in order to bypass Somerset West and Strand. If you look on Google Maps satelite images you can see what appears to be a corridor left open for this purpose. This plan has been talked about for at least 20 years.

As for the "N21", I've always been dubious of this plan just because of the name. Muizenberg to Melkbosstrand hardly qualifies as a national road - it's far, far too short and has nothing "national" about it. It's a metropolitan or provincial road at best, being entirely within the Cape Town Metro area, which makes me think whoever proposed it wasn't qualified to designate it as a national road.

#431 ·
I totally agree ed, but if you notice on the N2 re-allignment, or where its supposed to be, theres a lot of shacks in the way. That said, it is one of the last remaining stretches of freeway to really needed in the cape as traffic lights on a national highway in a city is just ludicrous.

With the R300 extension, I think only the muizenburg to cape flats part is needed, or from the M3. R300 as a name is fine, as everyone knows it now. But, money money money. And the DA's new policy is "more roads and lanes equals more traffic." pff

#432 ·
^^ It's true though in many respects. More Freeways means more traffic. However, that policy has its limitations. Areas where horrific bottlenecks already exist, like N2 Somerset West, must be addressed.

The R300 was to be renamed the N21 to have it "tollable." SANRAL legislation disallows them tolling non-nationalised-highways. They wanted the R300 tolled to complete the link northwards to N7 Melkbos and M3 Muizenberg. The plans for that are on ice for now.

The N2 realignment through Somerset West is still expected to take place, once the Winelands Toll Concessionaire takes over the N1 and N2 east of the R300 to Sandhills and Bot River respectively. However, I'm completely against it; these will trap communities on these roads and isolate them from strategically important service centres (like Somerset West and Grabouw; like De Doorns and Worcester). I'm fighting the concessionaire through the provincial ITP (Integrated Transport Plan) plans.

I'm okay with tolling new roads (like the N2 Helderberg Bypass), but vehemently against tolling existing infrastructure.

#433 ·
haha annman, you're obviously waay more clued up than me. I was just saying what i'd love to be done. I agree with new roads being tollable, there has to be new sustainable freeways and roads while the public transport system is being upgraded. Until public transport gains greater support in south africa (as in the middle and upper classes), roads will remain to be the mainstay for people getting to work.

#434 ·

http://www.capeargus.co.za/?fSectionId=3571&fArticleId=vn20100408124606429C600923 to watch video on Zoopy.

VIDEO: De Waal Drive bridge open
8 April 2010, 15:10

By Clayton Barnes
2010 Writer

After two years of complex construction work, motorists are today experiencing the first benefits of the De Waal Drive outbound pre-selection lanes on the new-look Hospital Bend.

The new bridge opened at midnight, marking the first stage in the completion of the project, set to be officially opened in two weeks.

City authorities said in a statement that the new bridge was expected to greatly ease traffic flow out of the city centre, with motorists headed for Rhodes Drive (the M3 outbound) now able to continue to their destination without any further compulsory lane changes.

Motorists headed out of the city on De Waal Drive, towards Settlers Way (N2), will, in turn, use the old De Waal Drive bridge, also with no need to change lanes further.

"After the new bridge is opened, the contractors will close one lane of the old De Waal Drive bridge to make some changes to the lane configuration," the city added.

If everything goes according to plan, the city-bound pre-selection lane from Rhodes Drive will be opened to traffic on Thursday next week.

"Traffic from Rhodes Drive to the Eastern Boulevard will then be able to pre-select the right-hand lane before entering the interchange, without any further compulsory lane changes.

"Likewise, those travelling from Rhodes Drive towards De Waal Drive will pre-select the left-hand lane for proceeding to De Waal Drive," the city said.

The new links to and from Anzio Road (Groote Schuur Hospital) would open at the same time.

Peter Sole, the city's transport network operations manager, said the upgraded roadway, with a price tag of R230-million, would eliminate the need for "weaving".

"Motorists will no longer have to slow down to change lanes on the incline. Traffic will also flow more freely," he said.

#440 ·
The last M5 interchange photos were over a month ago. Nixon to the rescue !!! :banana:

Looks like there's only 1 span still missing on the N1 to M5 bit

The M5 to N1 looks a little bit less complete

Could this be where the N1 bus lane will go next to the N1 offramp? Can't be

And here's an artistic reverse angle from the river side that you don't see often. Seems they adding another lane to the bridge.. whatever for? Bus lane?