SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Port Moresby - The Capital of Papua New Guinea

52K views 92 replies 20 participants last post by  Rekarte 
#1 ·
Port Moresby is the capital and largest city of Papua New Guinea (PNG). It is located on the shores of the Gulf of Papua, on the southeastern coast of the Papuan Peninsula of the island of New Guinea. The city emerged as a trade centre in the second half of the 19th century. During World War II it was a prime objective for conquest by the Imperial Japanese forces during 1942–43 as a staging point and air base to cut off Australia from Southeast Asia and the Americas.

In 2000 it had a population of 254,158. As of 2011 it had a population of 364,145, giving it an annual growth rate of 2.1% over a nine-year period. The place where the city was founded has been inhabited by the Motu-Koitabu people for centuries. The first European to see it was Captain John Moresby in 1873. It was named in honour of his father, Admiral Sir Fairfax Moresby.

Flickr hanming_huang

Flickr hanming_huang

Flickr hanming_huang

Flickr hanming_huang

Flickr hanming_huang

Flickr hanming_huang

Flickr hanming_huang

Flickr hanming_huang

Flickr hanming_huang

Flickr hanming_huang

Flickr hanming_huang

See less See more
#6 ·
Looks like there is a few pretty good modern buildings. Thanks for the pictures of a place we don't get to see very often.

I always think of PNG as jungle, probably because for most Australian's it is famous for the WW2 battles, so it's a bit of a surprise to see the nearby mountains bare of trees.

#8 ·
Reactions: Chuckeh and AbidM
#11 ·
Thanks for the photos, i enjoyed my time in Port Moresby, it was rather eye opening given it sits right on Australia's door step. I often wonder how different PNG would be today had not achieved independence in the 1970's, the corruption right through the government has hindered this countries economic growth and prosperity.

#32 ·
PNG has one of the highest concentrations of jaw dropping tourist spots in the world! It is just not marketed. The reality is, if it was actually developed it would blow many of the famous tourist spots out of the water!

There is more to see in PNG than you have time for! As far as natural tourist potential goes, I would put PNG in the top 20 globally!

Active Volcanos, Hot Springs, Mighty Waterfalls, spectacular Mountain Ranges, Beautiful Reefs, Beaches, Rapids, and one of the densest Rainforests in the world just to name a few. It is one of the world's best kept secrets!

Reactions: Brisman
#29 ·
there seems to be a spike in modern buildings and developments recently though? there's a modern shopping centre in the pics... that must have changed the city quite a bit over the past 5 years. interested in seeing more pics when people get the chance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.