SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Cardiff Capital of Wales, United Kingdom

122K views 875 replies 82 participants last post by  diddyD 
#1 · (Edited)
Here is a photo page of random pictures of Cardiff that i have taken and will take.

Cardiff is the Capital city of Wales, one of the 4 countries that make up the UK.

It has an official population of 325,000 but over 1 million people live within 20 minutes of the city. Its a city with a large mix of modern and old, with a very compact city center, and is a very green city with large parks and a wonderful waterside.

map by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

collage by stephenanstiss, on Flickr​

See less See more
#87 ·
To say Wales is hilly would be an understatement Porto ;) , the only flat parts are around the coast, and even then its not that flat. Luckilly Cardiff is almost completely flat (until you reach the north and west of the city

Thanks Conor i quite like Cardiffs skyline from that vantage point also, just needs a few talls to bulk out the midrises

#88 ·
Around the bay this morning

I thought i would start with a sad note, this church is planed to be demolished along with a warehouse next to it for a development.

_MG_0022 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

look at the date

_MG_0021 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

_MG_0024 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

_MG_0025 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

Notice the abandond Bay Railway Station Building (just the platfrom in use now), its grade II listed and was the origin of the first steam-powered passenger train service in Wales

_MG_0026 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

_MG_0029 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

_MG_0033 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

_MG_0037 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

_MG_0039 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

#90 ·
It is quite fairytale, imagine it without the pointy roofs and you probably have something more historical though. I love the view of it as you travel up the main road out fo Cardiff to the Valleys, its quite imposing.

Some mmore fromt his morning

_MG_0047 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

_MG_0050 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

Baltic house and the Coal Exchange

_MG_0054 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

Outside the Norwegian church, see the flag at half mast (my thoughts to all who are suffering)

_MG_0058 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

and finally from old offices to the latest ones

_MG_0062 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

#92 ·
#96 ·
Thanks

Caerphilly is a comuter town to the north of Cardiff, seperated by a mountain and is the point where a few valleys converge. At the center of this convergance is the castle, which is the second biggest in Europe, famous for its tower which leans further than Pisas' and the town is known for it cheese. Here is the "Big Cheese" festival, marked last night by fireworks.

P7299331 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

P7299339 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

P7299340 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

P7299347 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

P7299348 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

P7299360 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

P7299362 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

P7299363 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

#99 ·
Thanks,

It was dring the civil war Portonuts, they were worried the castle would be fortified so decided to try and blow up the towers, only to discover they couldn't! There were a few Americans next to us, (and with the obligatory Harry Potter music) they said "I cant believe we are watching fireworks from a castle with harry Potter playing", i suppose we take these things for granted, especially in Wales as we have the most castles per square mile in the World.

#103 ·
The BBC building is definately interesting, still not sure if i like it, its a quality building but i think the design is confused (its supposed to be a reflection of the neo gothic of the castle but looks more islamic).

There are definately some great modern buildings, but there are also some poor ones as well like every city.

#104 ·
#125 ·
Here is the other car park i was talking about (normally lit up bright blue at night), incidentally this is probably the most beautiful sunset ive ever seen! It was shining on a massive rainstorm and demanded i take plenty of pics ;)

P8269728 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

Boats in the bay for the harbour festival

P8269690 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

P8269694 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

P8269700 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

P8269704 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

P8269707 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

P8269709 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

P8269712 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

A great rainbow!
>>>>>>

P8269718 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

P8269724 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

P8269726 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

P8269733 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

P8269737 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

P8269739 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

P8269741 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

P8269745 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

P8269746 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

P8269748 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

P8269751 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

P8269754 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

P8269757 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

P8269756 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

Which picture do you think i should enter to the photo competition?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.