SkyscraperCity Forum banner

NEW YORK | 55 Hudson Yards | 237m | 778ft | 51 fl | Com

363K views 756 replies 136 participants last post by  DiogoBaptista 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Previously:

This tower adjoining the Hudson Yards site has been going through various site owners and designs. A 17 story podium will be the first element of the large 'boutique office' project.

At far left:

http://www.newyorkyimby.com/2012/05/extells-one-hudson-yards-set-to-rise-on.html

No specifics, but this will be 56 floors and 1.7 MSF. Renderings are out of date, but this should be 1,000'+. WOOHOO! Another win for NYC, and Hudson Yards will ultimately make Dubai's 'Marina Towers' look puny. :banana:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As One Hudson Yards, envisioned by a previous developer as a 1,000 ft. office tower:

See less See more
#352 ·
Yea, it's been changing design a lot lately. The last model we saw was from a few weeks ago:

55 is on the far left and 35 is just right of it.
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! I can't stand how prominently they wrecked the Equinox by adding that tumor..er, hotel. I love the way that 55 is progressing, gone from a critic to a fan... but there is NO serious way the changes to 35 work on an aesthetic basis. I wrote more on this on the 35 Hudson (Equinox) thread. It still hurts however viewing it here!:no:

#343 ·
As per CTBUH news release:
http://www.ctbuh.org/DesktopModules/DigArticle/Print.aspx?PortalId=0&ModuleId=5721&Article=1696

At a height of over 780 feet (238 meters), the unobstructed views over the Hudson River and of midtown will be stunning throughout the tower floors, the developers promise. The building contains lease spans of up to 35 feet (10.6 meters), implying that it is intended for tenants requiring large floor plates, such as financial trading firms.
I wonder where they got that height figure?

@ CTBUH's Skyscraper Center Page they have the page updated but wrong developer listed :D
http://skyscrapercenter.com/new-york-city/55-hudson-yards/14379/

#346 ·
55 Hudson Yards Rendered In Full

The LEED Gold-seeking building's 10-story base holds floorplates of 44,000 square feet, while the floors in the 41-story tower measure 28,000. A press release says that the tower's design is "defined by its indoor-outdoor spaces, SoHo, and early modernism." Roche told the Journal, "The thing I wanted to avoid was another twisted building. Surely there's a way to design a building that's simple and straightforward, that meets the needs of the developers and occupants—a basic, fundamental sculpture." The tower has a terrace on the 10th floor, and private, double-height terraces were "carved" into the building in various locations.

Related plans to start construction of 55 Hudson Yards, which will be located beside the new pedestrian greenway Hudson Boulevard on the block north of the platform over the railyards, once the space is 30 to 40 percent pre-leased, which should be by next January. If all goes as planned, it will be ready for occupancy by the end of 2017.

#351 ·
I do like this evolving 55 Hudson a lot more as we see the renders, and I understand the reasoning to be a little more traditional while still being very stylish. It's boxier than the other HY towers but not quite BOXY... not boring and the base is very appealing and unique for a more traditional style building. I think seeing eventually what 50 Hudson looks like, will it contrast some or be in line with what this tower represents? We know that the Girasole, the third of the HY area office towers will be a stunner while also being more in line with traditional, with some angular impressiveness.

I'm happy that 55 Hudson gets a boost from 710 to 780.. for 51 floors the floor plates are still substantially higher than normal. C'mon, Related though.. you can get it up to 800ft if you really want!;)

#357 ·
I really like the angles and unique takes on the main four HY towers (we'll see what happens with the Equinox, but not liking as I have made clear the change from clean iconic tower to cluttered, spread out mess to accomodate a hotel they could more organically integrate into the tower itself, but I digress lol) and the way they've done this making it more traditional but with a nice contemporary edge I'm really liking it more and more. I think what really will make the whole thing work is contrasts but probably of a more traditional type in the office towers just outside the main first phase of HY... 55, Hudson, 50 Hudson, and whatever the public address is for the Girasole.

#363 ·
probably, I posted it because I haven't seen it here yet. This is what we're getting.

I believe that In this rendering, the structure cannot be seen because it is zoomed in more/closer to the street

edit: facade close up rendering :)

#368 ·
Yeah, the lack of a crown hurts. Also, the tower is too 70's revival for my tastes. Same with the one across the way. I don't understand why the big shots thought it would be cool to take a page from the late 20th century when there are far more interesting designs that can be achieved with today's know how!

#369 ·
I think it's actually a lot better than the last two posts... I didn't like it at first but what was settled on has a very interesting base(great window set up, particularly the in close renders) and the tower rises with a classic yet modern edge. It avoids any sharp angles or twists of the four anchor HY Phase1 towers to serve as a contrast and complement well as both the developers and architect especially wanted. The second tower (50 Hudson) hasn't been definitively designed and rendered yet, and may undergo substantial revision. Right nearby the 3 Hudson Boulevard tower(the Girasole) is apparently ready to go, and kind of is a hybrid of traditional looking but does have a sharp angling on one side especially at its higher floors.

#370 · (Edited)
For ya engineering folks here.

A while ago there was a discussion as to how Related would deal with that MTA vent building on site.

Below is an interesting article touching on this very subject and this confirms that in fact 55 Hudson will be built over and encase the existing structure as speculated.

How This NYC Skyscraper Is Being Built On Top of an Existing Building
http://www.gizmodo.in/Science/How-This-NYC-Skyscraper-Is-Being-Built-On-Top-of-an-Existing-Building/articleshow/37649813.cms

As if building an entire neighborhood on top of an active rail yard were not already crazy enough, the developers for Hudson Yards are also planning a 51-story tower that will be constructed on top of and above an existing building. Yup, Manhattan is a crowded mess.

Hudson Yards is the largest private real estate development in U.S. history-an audacious plan to float 5 skyscrapers, 15 acres of public space, and 5,000 residences above a functional rail yard. As detailed in a recent article for Civil Engineering, one corner at 55 Hudson Yards actually juts past the edge of the rail yard, but that doesn't mean building here will be much easier. Designers, engineers, and workers will have to fit the tower at 55 Hudson Yards above an existing MTA mechanical and ventilation building. Its basement will hover above the 7 subway line, which passes right under 55 Hudson Yards.

Between the old building and the subway, the congested site means space for weight-bearing structures of the new foundation is limited. About half of the new skyscraper will sit on top of the MTA building, with the weight of tower partially distributed on the old building's columns. To limit the tower's weight and maximize its height, its structural engineers are planning to use post-tensioned lightweight concrete.

Construction on 55 Hudson Yards is expected to begin next January and finish in 2017. The entire Hudson Yards project should take until 2024. The old rail yard will be entirely transformed by then-both above ground and below
Full article at Civil Engineering:
http://www.asce.org/CEMagazine/Article.aspx?id=23622331658#.U7Qy88tOX5q

The building comprises a 41-story tower and 9-story podium. The tower will need to built entirely around—and above—an existing Metropolitan Transit Authority mechanical and ventilation building. ©Related-Oxford

#372 · (Edited)
^^ I don't think there's any way those renders are accurate as pertains to the ventilation building. I mean, it still has to actually vent, doesn't it? In order for the ventilation building to remain functional, it seems like the enclosing SE corner of the tower (roughly the area highlighted below) couldn't actually have windows; certainly no interior spaces.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems very much like a blue sky render, rather than an honest one.

#373 · (Edited)
More concrete, less steel

^^ I don't think there's any way those renders are accurate as pertains to the ventilation building. I mean, it still has to actually vent, doesn't it? In order for the ventilation building to remain functional, it seems like the enclosing SW corner of the tower (roughly the area highlighted below) couldn't actually have windows; certainly no interior spaces.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems very much like a blue sky render, rather than an honest one.
AFAIK the recently built vent building for the still not-open subway station DOES have to vent to the outside air and it certainly has a lot of vents built into it's facade....

The ASCE article is the actual source & seems to be derived from email exchanges. The Gizmodo "article" is a piece of crap. For example, the actual 7 subway line in this area is under 11th Ave, not under the 55 HY site.
But the ASCE article makes no mention of how the overbuild will handle the MTA mech/vent buildings airflow requirements.

The ASCE article does spend time describing the use of concrete (lightweight) instead of steel, ala the under-construction 10 Hudson Yards.
AFAIK KPF also designed 10 HY.

The MTA photo w/graphics below shows the overall site ~ one year ago. The yellow rectangles are the 55 HY site:

MTAPhotos SiteJ_Looking_West_May_2013
Photos and renderings illustrate the progress under way on the No. 7 extension project.

This image shows the location of the future station at 34th Street and Eleventh Avenue.

Image: MTA Capital Construction
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mtaphotos/9084530355/in/photostream/

And this MTAPhoto from ~27 months ago shows what underlies the 55 HY site. The two dark holes at middle & right of bottom (east) edge of the 55 HY site are the inclined shafts for the escalators/stairs and inclined elevator that connects the upper mezzanine under the Hudson Blvd Park to the lower mezz atop the subway line/station. Note that the 11th Ave adjacent to the site is really an extension of the viaduct over the rail yards proper.

MTACC 2012-05 07
7 Extension, Site J, photographed in March 2012.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mtaphotos/7256249444/in/photostream/

#374 ·
Related Cos. and Oxford Properties Group complete Fifty Five Hudson Yards
http://nyrej.com/73682

The anticipated LEED Gold, 51-story, 1.3 million gross square foot building is slated to commence construction in January of 2015 and be ready for occupancy at the end of 2017.
The design of Fifty Five Hudson Yards is defined by its indoor-outdoor spaces, SoHo and early modernism inspired exterior design, and exceptionally efficient interior space planning. The conceptual design of the building was a joint venture of A. Eugene Kohn of Kohn Pedersen Fox (KPF) and Pritzker Prize-winning architect Kevin Roche; KPF served as the design architect.

One of the few office buildings in the entire city opening directly onto a park, the main lobby of Fifty Five Hudson Yards sits at the southwestern edge of the City's new Hudson Park. With a unique buffer of green space, light and air around the building, Fifty Five Hudson Yards offers a welcoming arrival experience for building tenants and visitors. The architects built on the appeal of this great outdoor space by designing a dramatic outdoor terrace overlooking the park on the building's tenth floor. Situated where the building sets back from the podium floors to the tower, this elegantly landscaped vantage will provide scenic views of Hudson Park as it extends to the north, and the Hudson Yards Public Sq. and the High Line to the south. The ability to provide gracious indoor-outdoor space continues up the building as the design offers the ability to carve private, double-height terrace spaces into the tower in flexible locations. These tower terraces allow tenants and guests to enjoy an outdoor experience surrounded by superb views of the Hudson River and the Midtown skyline without having to leave the building.

The revitalized High Line district, the manufactured cast iron façade of SoHo commercial buildings and the best of early modernism have inspired the façade of Fifty Five Hudson Yards. The matte metal and stepped articulation of the window frames present a strong and solid exterior appearance, which is modern but uniquely New York in character. Sun and shadow play across the detailed façade frames creating a visually rich interplay and an unusually strong sense of texture and depth. While the building references the solid exterior of the city's classic cast iron buildings, it also shares their expansive windows and interior light. Fifty Five Hudson Yards will offer floor-to-ceiling glass throughout the building, bringing light streaming across the entirety of each floor and helping to promote the open skyline and river views it enjoys.

The interior planning of the building was conceived after extensive study of the space needs of professional service, financial, creative and technology firms. The plan starts with a tight, efficient core configuration that eliminates all openings from its perimeter. Without these openings, and with the tower floors free of interior columns, the flexibility of the usable space on each floor is limitless. Moreover, floor-to-ceiling glass, 35-foot lease-spans and the absence of any corner columns imbue the floors with a sense of light and air through clear-finished, extra-high, 10-foot ceilings. Each floor contains an on-floor, independent HVAC system with single path circulation. The design has multiple opportunities to showcase tenant's brands and is designed to meet every business need with premium amenities, destination dispatch elevators and designated car drop off access. At a height of over 780 feet, the unobstructed views over the Hudson River and of midtown will be stunning throughout the tower floors.

"Fifty Five Hudson Yards further establishes Hudson Yards as the new heart of New York," said Jay Cross, President of Related Hudson Yards. "Featuring the best in culture, dining, shopping and more, the commercial office space, steps from transportation and lush, expansive green space, sets a new standard for working in New York City. Today's business leaders are now more than ever focused on the recruitment and retention of talent and we believe a corporate address at Fifty Five Hudson Yards offers a distinct competitive advantage with a compelling experience inside and outside of the office."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.