SkyscraperCity Forum banner

NEW YORK | One57 | 306m | 1004ft | 75 fl | Com

3M views 7K replies 887 participants last post by  EMArg 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
New residential supertall called One57 for Manhattan, overlooking Central Park.

One57 scheme showing the different levels (by Otie):
Renderings:

Source: http://static7.businessinsider.com/image/4ee63c2f6bb3f7486a000021/one57-extell.jpg

From official website.

Older visualizations of Carnegie57:

Source: http://www.luxist.com/2010/05/26/carnegie-57-real-estate-hopes-set-to-soar-in-nyc/

Source: http://archpaper.com/news/articles.asp?id=4650

Sketchup model:

Source: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=161764&page=27

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

great news posted by NYguy on SSP, a new possible supertall for New York:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/12022008/business/luxury_hotel_to_rise_on_57th_st__141770.htm

LUXURY HOTEL TO RISE ON 57TH ST.

December 2, 2008

"Carnegie 57"

A 1,000 foot-tall hotel and condo tower is coming to Extell's West 57th Street development site that's now a giant hole in the ground.

That's according to the company hired to provide "physical and electronic security" for Gary Barnett's project. Aren't security firms supposed to keep secrets secure?

Louisville, Ky.-based Aegis Security Design claims the tower diagonally across from Carnegie Hall will house a "5-star" Park Hyatt Hotel, stores and luxury condos.

Extell hired Aegis to provide security-related services for the project that will run from 151-161 W. 57th St., on a site that extends all the way through to 58th Street.

Extell spokesman George Arzt said yesterday: "No details have been finalized or resolved. Aegis is only a consultant on the project."

But Aegis says it's "contracted with Extell to provide risk assessment, security programming, system design and construction administration services" on 57th Street.

Its Web site says Extell's tower will be LEED-certified and rise to as many as 80 stories. The hotel, stores and a garage will take up 356,467 square feet of a total 882,141 square feet, with condos above the hotel.

The hotel will boast a "spa, pool area, ballroom and meeting rooms," and "the lobby may contain an atrium."

Ever since Barnett started gobbling up land on West 57th and 58th streets between Sixth and Seventh avenues a few years ago, what he'll build has transfixed Midtown-watchers.

The vast site - directly across from Metropolitan Tower and the Russian Tea Room - has been a crater since old buildings were demolished. Last winter, Barnett told us he'd probably do a "5-star" hotel of some sort rising up to 50 stories.

Extell later fell silent. But now, Aegis appears to have let the cat out of the crater.

Sources said Extell is conferring with city agencies - possibly for zoning variances related to air rights purchases, and for landmarks-related approvals. The site is next door to two designated landmarks: the former CAMI Hall at 163-165 W. 57th St. and Alwyn Court on West 58th.

We don't usually reveal how we get our scoops, but this one started with our item last week reporting that Extell had filed with the Buildings De partment to study surrounding foun dations in prep aration for a new building.

Curbed.com picked up the item and ran it with an aerial photo of the pit, which drew an anonymous comment stating that the project would include a Park Hyatt. It didn't take Watergate-style sleuthing to check it out. Aegis officials did not return our calls.

Site refresher:

Demolition from last year:

view from above:

unfortunately no renders yet.

See less See more
1 16
#1,723 ·
Ok, because the person who used to post my pictures of this project is one of the people who left due to the moderator Erbse I guess I just have to describe with words what is happening.

Lots of progress this week PLUS I now see WHY previous progress seemed to be so slow.

At the sight Friday afternoon it was obvious they had gone up at least one floor. The wind screen has now passed the adjascent building.

Also, by raising the wind screen they revealed a solid concrete floor - that is a floor with solid cast concrete walls. I haven't seen that before and don't know why they would do it. But it would be a LOT of extra work and explains the "slow" progress of the past month.

Also, they had FOUR sections of crane on the street ready to go. Never seen so many!!

I went back to the sight today, Sunday morning and noticed they had put up ALL four new crane segments. So the crane got jumped much higher. Also, before it had only two braces to the building and now it has a third much higher brace. I had been waiting for that mark of progress.

So it looks like this thing is really starting to move again and barring a concrete worker strike we should see strong progress going forward.

Also, this should start to get much more visible from other vantage points now meaning others will start to photograph it more.
I'm still here, just busy as hell last 2 weeks..Today I was out of town..I'll post your pics first in the morning..Don't worry Dan, I won't let you down..:cheers:

#1,724 ·
Yes. It has concrete where the cladding/windows would go. Very strange. I assume it must be a mechanical floor of some sort. But it is concrete walls, just like the base of WTC 1 only twenty floors up.
That is very weird. Even if it is mechanical, why not have windows? I'd say it will look weird at night being there will be no lighting coming out of this floor, but it probably won't be the only one.

#1,726 ·
LOL Otie, I'm pretty sure you're going to have to be a resident to be able to use that treadmill.. and good luck with that! Ha!

Nice floor diagram by the way!

Edit: I see it is for the hotel, but still.. good luck! :lol:

#1,729 · (Edited)
That is a shame, my friend! The 20th floor is going to include a pool & a gym, and I was hoping to use the treadmill while enjoying a beautiful panorama of the surroundings! Wait, are we talking about the 20th floor or 19th? I hope it's 19th, since it's mechanical...
By counting the floors, it's 20th..That's the error that bothered me all the time..And now I see it's still here..I don't have any idea about this anymore..Maybe they counting floors different than we..We counted the lobby as a 1st floor..Maybe they don't..Maybe their 1st floor is above the lobby..Which doesn't make sense because I saw somewhere that in the US lobby floor is counted as 1st floor..Otie, what's your theory? I'm empty..:D

#1,732 ·
Thanks for posting Dino!!!

The last picture is the one from Sunday. The four new crane segments were up so the crane was quite noticeably taller.

Also, note the new (3rd) crane brace went in ABOVE the wind screens. Very interesting. That means they don't just winch the screens up but completely disconnect them to be able to manuever them around the brace. A lot of work it would seem.

On a couple of my pictures and the previous ones the concrete walls are very obvious. I assume they are what made for slow going.

This thing looks like it is about to really take off. The only downer is there is still no sign of cladding. But I fully expect it by September.

Great diagram Otie. It shows this thing really is going to be huge. I am really looking forward to a great run this Fall where it shoots up into the sky and starts to grab people's attention!!

Great

#1,736 ·
BTW, I can't be 100% sure if those walls are solid concrete or just concrete block. Their color is different than the regular concrete beams. I am starting to think it is block.

Anyone able to say for sure?
solid concrete. I guess the color depends on the shadows.

#1,737 ·
That is very weird. Even if it is mechanical, why not have windows? I'd say it will look weird at night being there will be no lighting coming out of this floor, but it probably won't be the only one.
i thinks thats no problem because on the most skyscrapers are mechanical floors and i have no problems with dark floors. i think they must close the whole floor because there is a swimming pool on the upper floor and he´s deep

#1,738 ·
Just noticed the third brace seems to have a walkway. Is that for the crane operator to be able to get to the crane both without climbing the whole way up the crane's ladder?

Are there crane's where the operator has to climb up the whole way every day to get to work? That would be a bitch in a supertall lol

#1,739 ·
Just noticed the third brace seems to have a walkway. Is that for the crane operator to be able to get to the crane both without climbing the whole way up the crane's ladder?

Are there crane's where the operator has to climb up the whole way every day to get to work? That would be a bitch in a supertall lol
Yes, that's for the operator..