SkyscraperCity Forum banner

London Road Fire Station | Refurb

425K views 2K replies 260 participants last post by  flange 
#1 ·
Went inside the the courtyard today! The two images I took show the appalling state of this fantastic building! The outside looks bad, but the inside is even worse! The current owners should be ashamed of themselves!

That is disgraceful!

London Road Fire Station, Manchester
London Road, Central Manchester.
Designed and built by Woodhouse, Willoughby & Langham from 1904-1906 this fine Grade II listed building was headquarters of the Manchester City Fire Brigade for the first half of the 20th century. It also housed a police station and a coroner's court, the latter still being in operation.
This exuberant buff, terracotta and red brick building occupies a triangular plot and is located opposite Piccadilly Railway Station. The central courtyard includes a series of balconies, whose tenements were once home to 40 firemen, and a training tower. By any measure it was a well equipped and sumptuous complex, with its own library, stables, bank and gymnasium.
A fine baroque building, which presently is under utilised and awaiting a major cleaning and refurbishment. It was in continued occupation until the late 1980s, but its future is presently unknown, despite several plans to convert the building to another function, including one abortive plan to make it into a hotel.
Taken today!

See less See more
#79 ·
Just came across this picture whilst having an unexpected and quick look at 28 days later.

Taken from the Piccadilly Place Rooftop Thread posted by Lawrence on the 28th of July. Look at the London Road Fire Station courtyard. The internal balconies/walkways have been covered in scaffolding and white sheeting.
Has the redevelopment of the wonderful fire station started on the QT? Lets bloody hope so! :banana:

Link below picture.

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=17603

#86 ·
WHy oh why oh why

Dont the council just CPO this

But there again not.

Its the "Salou" model of economic growth.

Low brow, high consumption, low creativity, high tack mall culture, that provides numerous mac jobs and big profits for elsewhere.

The plans to me seem like a tacky Printworks for the east and southside of the city.

#92 ·
Structurally, it's not too bad. Yes, it's tatty, but most of the floors and ceilings are reasonably sound. By no means would I call it derelict - just perhaps slowly decaying on the outside. It'll certainly be interesting to see what becomes of it - I just hope that certain features are preserved, like the Victorian holding cells in virtually original condition...

#94 ·
amazing photos

theres some sort of art event there, hopefully will be a good chance of getting to see it in person

Castlefield Gallery in association with Contact present Reactor’s newly commissioned, site-specific project, The Tetra Phase at The Old Fire Station. The Tetra Phase, set in the disused historic building, will present an immersive journey into subjective experience. On each Saturday throughout October, groups of the public will venture into this disconnected environment, known only as ‘The Station’, to interact within an immersive installation. Working together at some points, but in opposition at others, the groups’ journeys will intersect as they locate their individual pathways through the constructed possibilities of this labyrinthine space.

Within The Tetra Phase, meaning is internal and objectivity an impossibility. Beyond the limitations of ‘true’ or ‘false’, all we know is that certain results follow inevitably from certain actions. Participants can book to attend the event only once, so there will be no opportunity to repeat the experience, or take advantage of a wider perspective. As in life, you only get one chance.

However, others will be watching. The omnipresent ‘eye in the sky’, created by a network of CCTV cameras, forms the only position from which a privileged perspective on the event is possible. But who is doing the watching? And for what purpose?

This newly commissioned site-specific project further explores Reactor’s interest in ‘the audience as artwork’. Interpersonal and group dynamics will come to the fore, as participants attempt to reconcile their subjective experiences, and the event expands beyond the confines of ‘The Station’.

The project is a commission for Castlefield Gallery in association with Contact and has been financially supported by Arts Council England, Awards for All and with kind support from Britannia Hotels.

Dates: Saturday 6th, 13th, 20th, 27th October 2007
Times: 12-6pm each day
Venue: Old Fire Station, Manchester (next to Piccadilly Station)

#98 ·
Manc fire station row

Manchester City Council is preparing to turn up the pressure on the owners of the derelict fire station on London Road to allow the redevelopment of the prestigious £25m site.

The grade II*-listed building is owned by Britannia Hotels and is central to council plans to regenerate the Piccadilly area.

It has been earmarked for redevelopment by Piccadilly Partnership, a group of private sector developers.

The council has issued a statement saying Britannia’s lack of progress is a ‘cause for concern’ and threatening to look at ‘other options’ for the site. This could include compulsory purchase.
http://www.propertyweek.com/story.asp?sectioncode=36&storycode=3115632

#103 ·
Fair comment GShutty, I suppose it was my frustration at watching this beautiful building being left to rot that made me blame the council, but after reading what you say I think you're probably right. I just wish it was sorted sooner rather than later.

#105 ·
It is a disgrace, that such a grand building should be left in such an ill state of repair and that we effectively have to rely on the owners who leave it in this state to do something about it.

I'm encouraged though that the Council are showing a consistent interest and seemingly have a commercial alternative at the ready with the Piccadilly Partnership. They obviously believe there is a commercially viable operation in some form, therefore I don't think we'll be stuck with this debacle indefinitely.

In the meantime it's very frustrating and sticks out like a 'sore thumb' at such a prominent gateway and next door to the main railway station! Aaaaah!

#104 ·
Well they may have £250m at the council soon so why not buy the building and move it brick by brick to Eastlands and use it as a music venue. It will create jobs, a music venue will be more useful to the people of Eastlands and everyone who loves that building will be happy. Then Britania can use the empty site to build a hotel that resembles that crap concrete block they call their Airport hotel and even add a few cockroaches to kitchen intime for the hotels opening.

#107 ·
My only problem with the council is maybe their feet aren't moving quickly enough, this thread goes back 3 years give or take, so in 3 years, zilch. And the council was threatening a CPO back then I think.

It's such a "jewel" of a building and I don't think it's being treated with the respect it deserves.

It should be "The Raffles" of Manchester by now, something really upmarket befitting it's wicked architecture.

Don't you agree?

#108 ·
Empty threats I know what you're saying I just don't think the council has the genuine authority or powers to follow through their threats without the strong risk of abject failure and subsequent criticism for taxpayers money being wasted and have resorted to audible expressions of discontent and seemingly fruitless dialogue with the present owners who, when they have bothered to respond have offered the carrot that they are 'drawing up plans'.

As you say it is a jewel and off the top of my head and without attempting to justify my answer, would probably be in the top 10 Victorian buildings in the city (when restored).

Do you think the music museum/expo/venue/hotel was ever a realistic proposal? Old and slightly unrelated topic, but the music, particularly popular culture theme is surely something that the city should be celebrating in a more tangible way than decorated car park railings on the apartment block that used to be the Hacienda and this suggested that it may be it.

I've only seen it from the outside, but Liverpool's Beatle's Hotel (is it called a Hard Day's Night or have I made that up??), seems at first sight to suitably acheive something along these lines for L'pool. I noticed a memorabilia shop and of course they already have a Beatle's museum.

#109 ·
NO! Heaven forbid. I'd really hate to see Manchester have to grasp at straws by having a hotel of all things dedicated to a pop band, the Beatles are the [only] obvious choice for Liverpool but WHO would it be for Manchester?? A tough one.