SkyscraperCity Forum banner

NEW YORK | One World Trade Center (1WTC) | 541m | 1776ft | 94 fl | Com

22M views 59K replies 4K participants last post by  Riley1066 
#1 ·
Since the world trade center is finally under construction. I wanted to create this thread for photos and news about skyscrapersd and the memorial happening at ground zero. Please post photos of the site plan, and construction photos happening at the site. Hope you guys enjoy!!!!!! :)

#30,661 ·
And a quick question i haven't been able to find an answer to... What are the two small buildings to the west of the memorial pools just off the the West Side highway? Are they some sort of support buildings for the Memorial (security check-in maybe) or some type of mechanical support structures? Any answer would be much appreciated as I can't seem to fins info on them anywhere.. Thank you!
They are ventilation structures for the underground portion of the memorial. They remind me (somewhat) of the old 3 WTC (Vista Marriott).

#30,663 ·
towers one and two had their unique charm but buildings 3, 4, 5, and 6 were lifeless..
Building 3 was one of the nicest hotels in NYC and was always packed, hardly what I'd call "lifeless".

The other low-rises were crap though. The site would have been MUCH better if they'd never built 4-6 and left the street grid intact, with the Twins and the Vista on one plot.

#30,664 ·
Building 3 was one of the nicest hotels in NYC and was always packed, hardly what I'd call "lifeless".

The other low-rises were crap though. The site would have been MUCH better if they'd never built 4-6 and left the street grid intact, with the Twins and the Vista on one plot.
I hope you don't misinterpret my remarks as I am ONLY referring to the exterior aesthetics of the original WTC buildings... I am sure the WTC Mariott was a lovely hotel on the inside, but I have seen a lot of pictures of the outside of it and it was not an inspiring piece of architecture...

source: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_-kZI_pSjm98/TIrlFj330pI/AAAAAAAAAfM/3BSEjM0cbc8/s1600/3wtc01.jpg

By the way, the Marriott looks like it was just wedged in only a few feet away from the side of tower 1... That must have been a nice view from those offices in tower one blocked in by that hotel... Did they get a discount for the lack of a view? (or could office workers just peek into the hotel rooms for a free show?)

#30,668 ·
Someone correct me if I am wrong but the entire mode of construction now seems to have been changed. Previously they would work on a couple distinct floors at a time and so the building would always be "jumping" by increments of two floors.

Now when I look at the pictures I can't tell how much any given beam is raising the height of the building. They seem to have steel beams that span different floors and different heights at the same time. That is, maybe they currently have steel up to the 91st floor yet the new steel they then put in goes from anywhere between 89 and 93, with each beam covering different floors. In sum, instead of having splices neatly ever two floors now we have splices all over the place.

Don't know if this is true but the pics make it look that way. Is it true? And if so, what is the reason? Would it have anything to do with the floor space getting smaller?

#30,671 ·
O.M.G. ! All that money and that's all you get. Give me the Chrysler or Empire State any day, at least they have a "real" design
i said the same thing like a thousand pages back and got hated on for it :( i still think its a wonderful building along with the rest of the plaza but the costs i dont think are worth it considering the results of other buildings with lower costs. lets just hope some miracle happens and its done soon

#30,673 ·
Carlos on SSP has posted some pics, steel is clearly visible. :cheers:
I just saw them on SSP so now that it's confirmed I can update my diagram :cheer:

Roof height used below!

1WTC = 353 meters or 1159 feet out of 418 meters or 1371 feet
4WTC = Approximately 235 meters or 771 feet out of 298 meters or 977 feet
157 = 196 meters or 642 feet out of 306 meters or 1005 feet

(Note: I used the 418 meter figure for 1WTC when measured from the lowest above ground entrance and I used the 298 meter figure for 4WTC.) :cheers:

#30,674 ·
Someone correct me if I am wrong but the entire mode of construction now seems to have been changed. Previously they would work on a couple distinct floors at a time and so the building would always be "jumping" by increments of two floors.

Now when I look at the pictures I can't tell how much any given beam is raising the height of the building. They seem to have steel beams that span different floors and different heights at the same time. That is, maybe they currently have steel up to the 91st floor yet the new steel they then put in goes from anywhere between 89 and 93, with each beam covering different floors. In sum, instead of having splices neatly ever two floors now we have splices all over the place.

Don't know if this is true but the pics make it look that way. Is it true? And if so, what is the reason? Would it have anything to do with the floor space getting smaller?
They recently removed the shipping containers being used as changing facilities on top because of 'lack of real estate'...they need to frame in that area in order to complete the floors.

#30,676 ·
Here come the promissed pics :cheer:

One World Trade Center Construction Progress by RBudhu, on Flickr

freedom tower rises by sph001, on Flickr

Freedom Tower by amsk90, on Flickr

Lower Manhattan by amsk90, on Flickr

City Lights by Tim Drivas, on Flickr

Liberty State Park, Jersey City, NJ by lncaz, on Flickr

1 World Trade Center by KoVfOtO, on Flickr

~ The Freedom Tower is rising ~ by Leah / euroswiss2003, on Flickr

My memories to the fallen by Marcelo Taube, on Flickr

Freedom Tower, night. by alba, on Flickr