SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Commercials that show off your city

16K views 129 replies 57 participants last post by  Fabian 
#1 · (Edited)
A discussion on Sensational Adelaide sparked my interest.

Post some nationally run TV commercials that show off your city. Obviously tourism commercials don't count... although I do love the artistic, pretentious ball of yarn ad. Very Melbourne.

Here's some for Adelaide. I was surprised that Adelaide got these. I would have assumed that companies would stick to their regional HQ (hence Mitsubishi use Adelaide all the time). I guess it's because Adelaide's the smallest big city, so people don't recognise it like SSC nerds would.

Optus

NAB

Extra

Mitsubishi

Anyone else?

#4 ·
It may suprise you but Adelaide has a huge concentration of film making production-- probably third base in the country after Sydney and Melbourne.

The amount of high quality Australian productions produced in SA is remarkable (compared to lacklust funding in Qld and WA).

#14 ·
I'd be VERY interested in your source for this. Warner Brothers Studios between Brisbane and Gold Coast books up hundreds of millions of dollars of work each year. I suppose it depends on what you define as "film making production" -ie- some art student film that will never see the light of day or a production that is likely to have an end value.

#9 ·
There is some Codral flu advert thats shot around Riparian.

And some Mitzubishi adverts which show off Story Bridge and pine plantations to the north - looks like Europe I guess. There is another car advert - not sure which one, which is shot in the top of a parking garage in Spring Hill.

I don't take much notice of adverts.

j

#15 ·
Whist not giving production totals, the following extract from Warner Brothers Studios Gold Coast website, indicates the large scale of the production work undertaken;

Warner Roadshow Production Services is Australia’s most prolific production services company handling both Australian and offshore productions including feature films, TV Series & Movies and Reality Programs.

For an overseas production company filming in Queensland, it is advisable to utilise the services of a locally based production service company. All of the services mentioned below are tailored to suit the individual production and are designed to support and assist the producer through issues such as tax, immigration, union negotiations and state and federal rebates.

Production ServicesWRPS can provide the following assistance:

Consultation on all physical production matters.
Consultation on production budgets.
Negotiations with Unions.
Handle all aspects of filing for the Australian Federal Location Rebate
Handle all aspects of filing for Queensland state rebates and incentives.
Arrange sponsorship and obtain work permits for overseas cast and crew.
Establish bank accounts.
Supervise and consult regarding the casting and crewing of production.
Provide consultation, production accounting and payroll supervision.
Consult on local taxation requirements.
Provide post production accounting and payroll services updating and maintaining records until close of bank account.
Because of its buying power, Warner Roadshow Production Services can provide best available deals for travel, accommodation, freight, facilities and equipment hire.

Accounting ServicesAccounting services vary from consultation on the full production accounting package to Post Production accounting and record maintenance.

Oversee all accounts payable, petty cash, journal entries, purchase orders, deposits etc.
Oversee daily hot costs if required.
Oversee weekly cost reporting.
Oversee maintenance of general accounting records.
Provision of full post production accounting & record maintenance
Consultation on Payroll services.
Previous packages used include Vista, Media Services, Cosmo Auditor and 60 Global
Previous ClientsPrevious clients include:

ABC Productions
Alliance Atlantis
Blue Sky Pictures
Cappadocia Co Ltd
Carlton America
CBS Productions
Disney Channel
DreamWorks
FOX Television
Hartbreak Films
HBO
Konigsberg Smith Company
London Weekend Television
MGM Television
Miramax Films
NBC Productions
Paramount Pictures
Paramount Network Television
Pearson Television
Phoenix Film
Revolution Studios
RTL Television
Samuel Goldwyn Company
Telecine
Viacom
Von Zerneck/Sertner Productions
Walden Media
Walt Disney Features
Walt Disney Television
Warner Bros Pictures
Warner Bros Television Production
Wilshire Court Productions
WWE Films

#18 ·
Edit - Alphaville - I note that your original post related to "Australian Production".

A couple of observations.

Unfortunately a lot of "Australian Productions" are complete crap -eg- neighbours, home and away, mcleod's daughters etc - although I concede that they do have an export market.

There are some great to good productions such as Underbelly, All Saints etc.

Bottom line - $$$ spent on "Australian content" doesn't really tell the whole story - what matters is what the productions can earn within and external to Australia.

The Warner Brothers extract posted above, does show that this facility earns real $$$ for Australia overseas - that's important.

I also acknowledge that producing local films is important to enhance our national culture - but governments cannot justify spending money on local content if it is unmitigated dross. Unfortunately in recent times, too much locally produced stuff is garbage and hence a waste of taxpayers dollars.

Simply looking at the funding figure doesn't prove anything, other than that some governments are pissing money against the wall more than others.

#20 ·
Problem is we have these world class studios that are out of reach. I had an article from uni years ago in fact by PFTC's (defecto Queensland Film Corp) Rowena Billard who was nothing but scathing of Warner Bros. and their general disinterest in supporting local production.

In reality - despite the shit Australian cinema cops- I firmly believe we have historically produced some of the best cinema in the World.

#19 ·
Alphaville - apart from Mcleod's daughters and a couple of car ads, I truly have no idea what comes out of South Australia. I'm not trying to shit stir, but if so much public money is going in there, I, as a South Australian resident, would want to know that my state "brand" was well known out there.

#21 ·
Film SA is an extremely well respected organisation nationally and internationally. They are responsible for recent films like Ten Canoes, Look Both Ways, Wolf Creek, 2:37, The Caterpillar Wish, December Boys, Rabbit Proof Fence,etc..... many of these end up in the international film festival circuit. There are so many more. For the population of SA, their funding is by far and beyond the most dedicated in Australia.
"Made in SA" Film SA

#22 ·
I don't deny that we produce some gems, but boy oh boy we produce some rubbish too. I'd love it if Warner Brothers was used more for quality local stuff, but unfortunately, as I'm sure you'd agree, that's not how economics works. Warner Brothers can earn more dollars for Australia by hosting a Bollywood or Hollywood film or an advertisement for a south east asian company (which will never be seen here).

#24 ·
Well thats right. They are in it for the $$$ and Australia is a cheap location (however with the rising dollar-- the value is decreasing). Thats why I don't think we can claim foreign productions shot here as our own. We have amazing talent that needs a reason to stay. Right now there is little. My point is more funding needs to be produced for high quality local productions in Qld and WA. Even in television, a disproportionately less amount of stuff is produced in Brisbane and Perth than there should be.

#25 ·
I think you'll find that Qld and WA are probably too busy with their economic and population growth atm - resources are being poured into critical infrastructure and service delivery areas. I'm not saying that more shouldn't be spent on local film, just that the dynamics of these two economies are very different to the rest of Australia.

At least Qld is spending big on capital works for the arts such as the Gallery of Modern Art and is actively chasing productions and exhibits such as Warhole and Picasso.

We're not complete philistines up here.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.