SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Chennai | Bus Terminals | MTC Bus | Other Road Transport Updates

4M views 14K replies 601 participants last post by  thillai_selvan 
#1 · (Edited)
This thread is dedicated to updates on Chennai Metropolitan transport corporation (buses operated by Tamilnadu government) and Suburban train services operated by Southern Railways.

These two are the lifeline of public transportation in Chennai Metropolitan currently.

Dedicated thread is needed as we see lots of improvement in MTC for past 2 years.

I request members to post news/projects regarding MTC and Suburban in this thread instead of Chennai projects thread.

#1,443 ·
^^

MTC AUGMENTS FLEET
50 more AC buses to help commuters beat the heat

Chennai: Metropolitan Transport Corporation (MTC) has introduced 50 more airconditioned buses on 24 routes. MTC already operates 30 AC buses and 10 more such buses are likely to be introduced within a week, taking the total number of airconditioned buses in its fleet to 90.
The new buses, started on Wednesday, will run on these routes: Broadway-CMBT, Broadway-KK Nagar, Broadway-Iyyappanthangal, Broadway-Tambaram, Broadway-Kelambakkam, High Court-East Tambaram, High Court-Guduvanchery, T Nagar-Kelambakkam, T Nagar-Chengalpet, T Nagar-Kancheepuram, T Nagar-Mahabalipuram, CMBTMahindra City, CMBT-Mahabalipuram, CMBT-Kelambakkam, Central-Tiruvanmiyur, Tiruvottiyur-Tambaram, Ambattur Industrial Estate-Velachery, Ambattur Industrial Estate-Kelambakkam, Avadi-Tambaram, Avadi-Vandalur Zoo, Perambur-Tiruvanmiyur, Velachery-Mahindra City, Mogappair West-Tambaram and Mandaveli-Mahabalipuram.
MTC first introduced airconditioned buses in September 2007 but till now the services have been struggling to achieve the break-even point in terms of daily ticket collection.
They are supposed to generate at least Rs 18,000 of revenue each day, but most of them manage only Rs 10,000 to Rs 12,000. However, MTC officials believe that an increase in airconditioned services would definitely attract more people to travel in them.
They said fares in MTC’s AC buses were very nominal and many car users also choose to travel in these buses. But most passengers travel from starting point to destination point and there were not adequate passengers enroute and this was one of the major reasons affecting the profitability of the AC bus services.
As of now, 18 airconditioned buses of MTC and
Tamil Nadu State Transport Corporation (Villupuram division) are being operated on T Nagar-Kancheepuram route, which is the highest on any route. At present, MTC has around 3,400 buses and they are being operated in about 650 routes.
Meanwhile, the transport corporation on Wednesday issued notices to three private firms for defacing its buses by pasting advertisement stickers and handbills.
The transport corporation issued a warning against pasting of stickers and handbills inside and outside of the buses. Though a ban has been there against such unauthorised practice, it has not been strictly implemented in the recent years as a result of which more and more private firms started using the buses to advertise their products and services by pasting notices and hand bills. Officials said the MTC would hereafter impose a fine and also take legal action against those who violated the ban.

TOI
Augmentation of routes to go hand-in-hand with Proper publicity;
Most of these services have no information on timings, routes, etc..even in the originating termini.
MTC should atleast try list the info abt these services in their Web site atleast and / or The concerned termini.

My own experience is D70 AC volvos-there is no such info available in the Ambtur I.E bus-stand reg the timings;
Same is the case for AC-Volvo-219A-which also originates from this Ambtur I.E;

without such valid info-there wont be expected patronage for these services.
I hope u all agree with me.

#1,446 ·
I checked Anna Nagar West Time Keeper and he said no 7F AC Volvo bus was introduced. It really dissapointed me. My fav bys route is 7F and follower of the bus since 15 Years. It used to be the best maintained route augumented with new busus in AN Depot. Now its just opposite. I dont know why it lost its sheer imporatance.
I saw a 7F volvo near Anna Nagar west depot again. I think it was on its final trip for the day and it must be one of the 7M/7H. I dont think there is a dedicated 7F volvo.:)

#1,447 ·
I saw a 7F volvo near Anna Nagar west depot again. I think it was on its final trip for the day and it must be one of the 7M/7H. I dont think there is a dedicated 7F volvo.:)
You saw at what time. Since Volvo buses originate from Adyar deport i dont find a need to come to AN Depot. The drivers can be very well interchanged at Muggapair West Bust Terminus itself. If its dedciated one for 7F i would be very much happy. If i get time i will chk with AN Depot officials once again.

#1,448 ·
For past three days I was traveling in 19B Volvo from Little mt to Siruseri. The bus goes in standees in Saidapet terminus itself, Kasturiba Nagar, SRP tools are the next major patronage providing stations.

The bus runs jam packed till Sirseri entrance. This is during peak time between 07:00 to 10:00AM. But opp. 19B runs with less passengers!

Roughly I can tell IT corridor alone can pull 5000 commuters on weekdays b/w 07:00 to 10:00 means we need 100 service on that road! Roughly 2minutes one AC bus.

But now frequency is far less than 10-20min once even in peak hour. Potential is not tapped in right way.

#1,449 ·
You saw at what time. Since Volvo buses originate from Adyar deport i dont find a need to come to AN Depot. The drivers can be very well interchanged at Muggapair West Bust Terminus itself. If its dedciated one for 7F i would be very much happy. If i get time i will chk with AN Depot officials once again.
No all the volvo buses dont originate from adyar depot. But the all are registered as ADI ones though. Volvo's are shared between anna nagar depot, central depot and adyar depot as it was earlier. At around 10 at night you will find most of the volvos returning to anna nagar depot. I think all the depots have almost equal share of buses.

#1,450 ·
No, not all volvo buses originate from adyar depot. But they are registered as ADI ones though. Volvo's are shared between anna nagar depot, central depot and adyar depot as it was earlier. At around 10 at night you will find most of the volvos returning to anna nagar depot. I think all the depots have almost equal share of buses.

#1,451 ·
No, not all volvo buses originate from adyar depot. But they are registered as ADI ones though. Volvo's are shared between anna nagar depot, central depot and adyar depot as it was earlier. At around 10 at night you will find most of the volvos returning to anna nagar depot. I think all the depots have almost equal share of buses.
You saw 7F volvo at what time?

#1,454 ·
For past three days I was traveling in 19B Volvo from Little mt to Siruseri. The bus goes in standees in Saidapet terminus itself, Kasturiba Nagar, SRP tools are the next major patronage providing stations.

The bus runs jam packed till Sirseri entrance. This is during peak time between 07:00 to 10:00AM. But opp. 19B runs with less passengers!

Roughly I can tell IT corridor alone can pull 5000 commuters on weekdays b/w 07:00 to 10:00 means we need 100 service on that road! Roughly 2minutes one AC bus.

But now frequency is far less than 10-20min once even in peak hour. Potential is not tapped in right way.
oh is that the case but ... i board at tnagar [576] till thandalam[near sriperumbudur] .... the bus is almost jam packed when i reach my destination .. when i return from my college .. the case is same even when i return from my college to tnagar .. i seldom get a seat in 576 ... this despite having many number of buses operating in 576 route .. dont know exactly how many are running now... i think 8 !!!

#1,455 ·
Additional suburban trains from July

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/chennai/Additional-suburban-trains-from-July/articleshow/5870168.cms

CHENNAI: Southern Railway will introduce the additional services of suburban trains that were announced in the budget in July this year. Additional EMU services ie, one pair to Arakkonam, one pair to Tiruttani and one pair to Sullurupetta were announced in the Railway budget.

The assurance was made by divisional railway manager Anurag during Divisional Rail Users Consultative Committee (DRUCC) of Chennai Division on Wednesday.

#1,456 ·
Bus services to connect colonies with bus depots

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/chennai/bus-services-connect-colonies-bus-depots-431

April 29: While stating that permits to operate mini buses in the city will not be given to private parties, transport minister K.N. Nehru told the Assembly on Thursday that connecting services – from residential colonies to nearby bus depots – will be introduced using short wheelbase vehicles in the city.

Replying to the debate on grants for the transport department, Mr Nehru said Anna University has been asked to conduct a study to identify the routes.
The short chassis buses, which are highly manoeuverable, will be operated in the city by the government to help people in areas not connected by buses, he said.

He also said the fleet strength in the city would be increased and a total of 3,000 new buses will be operated in three months across the state.
Mr Nehru said buses have been introduced in 1,648 routes across the state in the last four years besides extending 2,942 routes. This year, buses will ply on 2,000 new routes.

#1,460 ·
MTC High frequency & Most popular buses as on date:

21G Broadway - Tambaram
D70 Ambattur IE - Velacherry
15B Broadway - CMBT
18series(18A,A18,B18) Broadway - Vandalur
29C Perambur - Besant ngr/Tiruvanmiyur
70/70A Avadi-Tambaram/Vandalur
1 series(1,1A,1C,1D) Ennore/Tiruvottiyur-Tiruvanmiyur

followed by 23C,27D,47A,5E,18K,12G,11H,54,17D,57F,66,M70A,M70,
goes on.