SkyscraperCity Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Metrolink Updates

9M views 58K replies 802 participants last post by  Ashtonian 
#1 ·
Seeing as the last thread seems to have gone here is another...

The following shows the madness of spending money on roads to relief congestion instead of trams...

http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/men/news/s/166/166225_bumper_business_chokes_the_roads.html

Bumper business chokes the roads
Yakub Qureshi

JAMS: early morning traffic on the A57TAMESIDE has the biggest traffic growth in the country, figures reveal today.

A congestion blacklist published by the Department of Transport showed there were 36 per cent more cars and lorries on Tameside roads than in 1997 - the biggest increase in England.

Two other Greater Manchester areas, Oldham, in second place with 32.4 per cent, and Bury, 18 per cent, also recorded some of the sharpest rises in congestion. Tameside, Oldham and Bury were all above the national increase of 11 per cent.

Transport groups said the findings confirmed their worst fears about congestion in the region and blamed the delay of the Metrolink extension for increasing traffic jams.

Traffic bosses said they believed the bulk of the increase was due to the addition of the M60 Denton to Middleton extension, which had brought more traffic to area.

Coun Alan Whitehead, Tameside's executive member for technical services, said: "When there are good connections more people will want to use them. Regeneration has seen a lot firms moving into Tameside.

"People want to come to the great workshops of Manchester, and developments in places like Glossop, High Peak and Saddleworth means there will be additional traffic coming through Tameside."

Congestion

He believed the planned Metrolink extension, which was promised in the government's election manifesto, would help ease congestion.

Andrew Shaw, co-ordinator of Friends of the Earth Oldham, said: "There has definitely been an increase of traffic. The M60 has brought an associated increase in traffic throughout the borough and people are travelling more between their homes and work.

"The government is throwing a lot of money at the road network at the same time that it has reneged on its promise for the new Metrolink to Oldham and Tameside."

The Liberal Democrats, who requested the information, which dates from when Labour came into government, said motorists should be charged for driving into urban areas.

Tom Brake MP, the party's transport spokesman, claimed London-style congestion fees would cut traffic and fund better public transport.

He said: "John Prescott infamously remarked that if the government did not reduce road traffic it would have failed. These figures are the clearest indicator that it has failed."

See less See more
#19,282 ·
Just passed up the opportunity of a lifetime to photo a "Timperley"destination on a double T68 at St Peter's Square, damn it! Although, a double Alty via Woodlands passed at Mosley Street... And then another on High Street... #oops

#19,283 ·
My god, there is some serious banana action here in Oldham, and at least one other person waiting for trams rather than the lights. A few motorists seeming surprised too!

I must say the rest of my visit has not been quite so enjoyable... Oldham has an abundance of five things: Banks/Building Societies, Bookies, cash converters, First Staff and scowls.

#19,284 ·
madferret said:
I think I've read that they are getting an add-on to the latest order of 350s for London Midland. It would be much better to be able to move between units though if they are going to be 8-car trains.
Yes but only for the Manchester - Scotland route. But they are only temporary loan until the main TP wiring when a new fleet will be ordered. The 380 would be a good match and they already come in 3 or 4 car variants with walk though gangways.

#19,295 ·
Does anybody know whether there were any problems during last nights rush hour, only I was at Deansgate Castlefield station around about 16:20 waiting for a tram to Piccadilly when the PA came to life and announced that any passengers for Bury to catch the tram already at Station to Piccadilly (it was already full and standing) and change at Piccadilly and the next Bury service would be in 20mins, just wondering why the long wait, just seemed for some reason most trams were going direct from Deansgate Castlefield to Piccadilly

#19,297 · (Edited)
I see Metrolink fares are changing on 2nd January but it not gone up that must as from Freehold to Victoria (City zone) is be £3.70 from 2nd Jan were is £3.50 is days so only 20p more then.

January 2013 fares ticket selector
(Published:11/12/2012)

On 2 January 2013, some Metrolink fares will be changing. If you would like to check if and how your fare is changing, visit www.metrolink.co.uk/fares.

The majority of ticket prices will not go up and child fares will remain the same or will decrease in price.

Our Season tickets continue to offer great value for money – and you no longer need to be a member of the Travel Club with a photocard ID to purchase a weekly season ticket.

Metrolink tickets can be purchased on platform at Metrolink stops. Season tickets are also available from Transport for Greater Manchester Travelshops, Paypoint outlets and through Metrolink.co.uk here. Season tickets can be purchased up to seven days in advance. Tickets bought through the website will be issued within five working days, any advance purchase tickets will only be issued seven days before travel commencement date.
http://www.metrolink.co.uk/tickets/Pages/fares.aspx

#19,298 ·
There was something odd going on. I was at Vic about 4-00 when a double came in with 'Not in Service' and a few passengers, who alighted. It then suddenly decided to become a Bury service. Cue sundry hesitent punters wondering whether to get on or not. At length we all did, and a large crowd was cleared from the platform.

While waiting for my lift in sunny Whitefield a banana rolled in, with several passengers, but claiming not to be in service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.