SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Φωτογραφίες από Θεσσαλονίκη | Thessaloniki photo thread

384K views 2K replies 200 participants last post by  notiskas 
#1 ·

See less See more
#6 ·
Thessaloniki, capital of Macedonia

Thessaloniki, the second largest city in Greece and the capital of Macedonia, it is one of the oldest cities in Europe.
It stretches over twelve kilometers in a bowl formed by low hills facing a bay that opens into the Gulf Thermaikos.
It was founded about 315 B.C., on a site of old prehistoric settlements going back to 2300 B.C., by Cassander, King of Macedonia, and was named after
his wife, Thessaloniki, half-sister of Alexander The Great.

Since then, Thessaloniki has become the chief city of Macedonia and its most important commercial port.
In Roman times it was visited by Saint Paul, who preached the new religion, and who later addressed his two well-known epistles
(the oldest written documents of Christian literature) to the Christians of Thessaloniki.

#14 ·
Thessaloniki looks really really nice. I think much better than Athens.
About the title of the thread however, I think that you might be making too much of the whole Macedonian issue. Sure, they are taking something which does not belong to them, but I do not think any somewhat intelligent person would think that Alexander was an ancestor of FYROM.

#15 ·
backdoorman Regarding the title of this thread:it might be meant as provocative for a foreigner but it has been always used long before the FYROM issue.We call Thessaloniki as "...capital of Macedonia " or "capital of northern Greece -Macedonia/Thrace".
That's all ,I suggest not to ruin another thread with that dispute...

#16 ·
thebackdoorman said:
Thessaloniki looks really really nice. I think much better than Athens.
About the title of the thread however, I think that you might be making too much of the whole Macedonian issue. Sure, they are taking something which does not belong to them, but I do not think any somewhat intelligent person would think that Alexander was an ancestor of FYROM.
Hi, backdoorman.

The thread title was not meant to provoke anybody, Thessaloniki has long been the capital of the region known as Macedonia. It is pointless to leave out that detail because of the wild claims of certain revisionists of history.

It is like having a thread regarding a concentration camp, without mentioning the holocaust because it may provoke a holocaust denier. (I am not comparing the two issues, just an example).

Anyway, I hope that you enjoyed the photographs.

:)

#19 ·
Le Général said:
What do they teach you in geography lessons in Greece? The capital of Macedonia is Skopje! :D ;)
Monsieur le General
I supose you just want to play a little bit and that you dont really want to assault people here in the hellenic forum. :)

#20 · (Edited)
oh mon dieu... garçon méchant! someone in here has a bad taste of humor! ;)

#24 ·
Just two pictures I took yesterday.

Panorama of the harbour

Umbrellas by N. Zogolopoulos

#25 ·
Olympiad said:
The thread title was not meant to provoke anybody,
:)
Why do you apologize friend? Thessaloniki is indeed the capital of MACEDONIA and we need not apologize to anyone about it, nor fear provoking anyone by talking about Greece's province of MACEDONIA.

#26 ·
Quote Backdoorman:Thessaloniki looks really really nice. I think much better than Athens.
----------------------------------

Backdoorman<--name says it all, before you go making statements about other peoples history, read BOTH sides of the story. Yeah Salonika is and always was the capital of macedonia, but after the 1913 devision of macedonia amongst its three neighbours, new capitals were born. Republic of Macedonia is here to stay... do we claim ancient macedonian history, ofcourse we do because we are macedonians living on that territory and we are not greeks. Sorry to raise your blood pressure levels my "greek friends"... you havent gotten rid of me yet and every time i read you spitting on the macedonian identity, ill be back just so you dont say u havent been warned. Greece to the Greeks Bulgaria to the Bulgarians MACEDONIA TO THE MACEDONIANS!