SkyscraperCity Forum banner

MISC | Fantasy Network Maps

957K views 2K replies 372 participants last post by  elliot42 
#1 · (Edited)
Future and fantasy maps!

Show us future maps from subways, light rail, tram or suburban train in your city.
There can be fantasy maps too!!!

It would be good if you can show 2 maps. One map how the system looks like today and how it will look in the future!

I´ll start!

BERLIN subway today:

Here the map how BERLIN subway should look like in the future:

BERLIN S-bahn in the future:

BERLIN subway and S-bahn in the future(awesome map)

MUNICH tram today:

MUNICH tram in the future:

MUNICH subway and S-bahn today:

MUNICH subway and S-bahn in the future:

LEIPZIG S-bahn in the future:

more maps soon....

See less See more
#202 · (Edited)
jserradell said:
Worl-city metro:

Hi Jordi,
That map is really great! A fascinating idea! While looking at it, it brings up memories from those cities. It must have been a lot of work. I don't know if you are still working on it but I have a few suggestions on how to make it even more enjoyable: Use more stations of full metros and less (or none) of light rails (speaking for Germany, there's too much Rhine-Ruhr in your map and too little Berlin, Hamburg, or Munich). Try to include stations of all major cities equally. Distribute the stations randomly but put stations in city centres (like WTC) in the centre of your map and put those that are outside the centre in the original city also outside the centre in your map. Include some characteristic names like "Times Sq/42 St" or "5 Av/59 St". And perhaps make the shape of your World City roughly resembling a world map (e.g. using rivers as oceans; this idea is not new, however).

#204 ·
First of all: thank you for your comments, and sorry for my poor English.

Here you have another metro-world system map: ths stations have the name of a city with a metro system.
In the light blue line (circular line), you can find the biggest metro systems (New York, London, Paris, Tokyo….) and inside the circle there are the world´s main cities with a metro system. Of course, the importance of a city is a relative matter, and for sure, you will find exceptions…
In the light pink and grey lines we find the cities with systems under construction, planned or even rumoured. From Singapur, there are the newest openings: San Juan, Kazan, Nanjing, Torino…). I sign it in dark blue. The next city will be after Daejon.

Of course there is a problem with transfer stations between constructed / under construction lines… Sometimes I write a city with a metro system: Mumbai, and sometimes a city with no metro system yet: Jakarta.
Brilliant ideas welcomed…

To Micro: it is difficult to draw a correct world map, as many metro systems are together in Europe or Far East Asia.
Some metro station names are too much long, so I have to use a shorter version of them.

Yes, there are too much Stadtbahn / Europe names. But for me, Spaniard, it is easier to remember european names than asian names. I am sorry for it.

Yes, I will change some names (in fact I have find some errors…). I will try to write in the city centre the most important / emblematic names: Times Square, Ginza, Otemachi, Piccadilly Circus, Sol, WTC…).
What is “important”? Well, that´s another discussion!!! (City population, beautiful stations, a nice name…).
What is “a nice name”? Well, that´s a very personal issue. But it is very simple: I like some names and I do not like others!

More suggestions are welcomed.

And of course, I am waiting for your own maps!!! Please, share them!

Jordi Serradell

#208 · (Edited)
jserradell said:
To Micro: it is difficult to draw a correct world map, as many metro systems are together in Europe or Far East Asia.
Yes, it makes no sense making your city's shape like a world map because this would contradict with the reqirement of placing downtown stations in the centre of the map. Maybe your World City could be roughly of a round shape to resemble a globe.

Both your maps are nice, but I prefer the one with station names.

By the way, Mark Ovenden has put a map with metro city names in his book 'Metro Maps of the World', and it resembles a world map with rivers making the oceans.

#209 ·
Here is my map (again, geographically total crap) of a helicopter/flying metro system for a fantasy city... And yes, I know helicopters will never be used as serious urban public transport - they use gargantuan amounts of energy and the purchase price is too high - but (if you replace the turbine engines with fuel-cell-powered electric motors to reduce noise) it's a cool idea, isn't it?

#210 ·
Wow, great to see that some people use to do these maps as well! I thought I'm the only one on earth with my transit maps.

This shows the metro system, city rails and regional trains in Helsinki area (it's not a fantasy map):

I did that with Photoshop 7.0. It's pretty good software to design maps once you learn to use the right tools.

I will post some more maps later.

Btw. Huge thanks to Gartenzwerg! I'll try to get Powerpoint as soon as possible!

#212 ·
micro said:
Flying metro: :)

Oops... I didn't know the "flying metro" term is already being used to describe the Wuppertal Schwebebahn (suspended monorail)... Well now I know, thank you for that :) Anyway, I meant helicopters flying between stations which are about as far apart as metro stations, with the speed and frequency of a metro.

#213 ·
Hello friends:

I love all your fantasy maps!

- I like the Hinto City Map: It is very nice. It is a good idea the loop service. Two weeks ago I went to Chicago and I used the loop often. By the way, I think Hinto City Metro System is similar to Stockholm (not the loop…): three lines with some branches. It is like a real city.
- It would be nice to see a Toronto Map as Monkeyronin posted it! 11 lines!!!
- Alargule: why do not you write the stations name in your fantasy city (the New York like one)? It would be great!!!
- WeirdoRotterdam: I love your maps, but it is very difficult to read the names. Very nice the Rotterdam project map.!!!
- Alargule: fantastic your Amsterdam map. Do you think you will build the brown line in the future?
- Chicago2Stlouis: I think the “green” line on your map will be opened soon, can you confirm this, please? Two weeks ago I went from Chicago to St. Louis. I used the metro from Lambert Airport to Laclede´s Landing. It is a very nice system. It would be nice to see all these extensions you draw in your map

I want to see more maps, please!!! :)

#214 ·
I am going to post some Mumbai maps.
Maybe there are not fantasy maps, because all the lines are supposed to be built in the future, but for many years I think there are just fantasy maps!!!

This is the metro map I posted in Urbanrail too:

In this map you can see the actual metro service, the suburban service (grey lines) and the THREE metro lines approved (yellow, light blue, light green). In fact I think the light green line will be under construction soon.

#217 ·
Finally, in this last map, you can see ALL the railway services in Mumbai Area in the future:
- the actual metro-like services
- All the new metro lines (approved / under construction) Phase I, Phase II and Phase III.
- and the suburban train services (grey lines)

For now, it is a fantasy map!!! But in the future I hope it will be a real map!!!

All comments / suggestions welcomed!!!

#218 ·
Great thread, I love drawing maps :p I've made a few in the past, but this is my most recent work. I started out by drawing some coloured light rail lines on a map of Copenhagen (the yellow/orange lines show current/future metro in CPH, the grey is S-Tog, commuter rail).

Then I took the lines and made a map from it. The M logos show connection to Metro while the S logos represent S-tog connections. P&R is Park & Ride.

#219 ·
Great map StarFish!

@jserradell: Indeed the station names on my map are bloody difficult to read. This is because Imageshack makes the drawings smaller so they fit nicely in the thread display.

I can switch off the "resize image" function and post my maps again, so that the station names are as legible on the forum as they were when I worked on the maps in Paint. Here they come!

The tram map for Groningen:

The map of the Rotterdam metro's huge non-existent extension:

The map of a helicopter network for a nameless fantasy city:

Still, the maps are geographically total crap!

#220 ·
@jserradell: I checked UrbanRail.Net, and the Mumbai map there is exactly the same as the first one you posted. It even had your name at the bottom right! Well, congratulations - it must be a real honour to draw a map for such a great site as UrbanRail. And besides, if UR's godfather Robert Schwandl thinks you're a great map maker (and lets you know by asking you to draw a UR map) then you must be really good at it! Well done!

And to everyone who has posted maps so far: it's awesome! Keep up the good work! :eek:kay: :eek:kay: :eek:kay:

#224 ·
"Chicago2Stlouis: I think the “green” line on your map will be opened soon, can you confirm this, please? Two weeks ago I went from Chicago to St. Louis. I used the metro from Lambert Airport to Laclede´s Landing. It is a very nice system. It would be nice to see all these extensions you draw in your map"

the green line will be opening august 26. i can't wait

#225 ·
jserradell said:
Alargule: why do not you write the stations name in your fantasy city (the New York like one)? It would be great!!!
As a matter of fact, I have filled in most station names on the island part. But they're so odd, you wouldn't even be able to read them...;)

Alargule: fantastic your Amsterdam map. Do you think you will build the brown line in the future?
Me? No...;) But on a more serious note: the central section between Lelylaan and Muiderpoort was proposed several years ago. There are no serious plans to build it right now, but who knows what might happen in the future.
According to the original 1968 metro plan, the section west of Lelylaan should have been connected to the existing subway line (51/53/54) - but they never made it past the central station.
Same goes for the section south of Muiderpoort station, which should have been part of an east-west line Gaasperplas-Geuzenveld.
The actually built two sections of this line: the section Verrijn Stuartweg-Gaasperplas today forms part of line 53, which runs parallel with lines 51 and 54 in the underground section in the city center. Underneath Weesperplein, a concrete shell for another station has been built. For more info and a map of the original metro plan, check my 'Amsterdam metro' thread!

#226 ·
earthJoker said:
I have a fantasy city on paper (including network) also I have some fantasy underground maps of Zürich. But I have to scan it in.. could be complicated its drawn with pencil.
I always draw maps again in Paint... it's a lot more work than scanning, but you can be sure that it will be clear and legible... :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.