SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Votes: 14 82.4%

Votes: 1 5.9%

Votes: 2 11.8%

Filipino Mentality: Behavior, Beliefs, Traits, and Traditions

1M views 5K replies 420 participants last post by  kakagwa 
#1 ·
Nationalism: Is the Philippines still worth crying for?

Is the Philippines worth crying for, despite of political instability?
Who will shed tears for the Motherland .
Who will lend a hand to lift her spirit,
to hold the lonely Flag that symbolize her name.

Count me in, you may?

How Much Do We Love The Philippines?

As you know, we have plenty of Koreans currently studying in the Philippines to take advantage of our cheaper tuition fees and learn English at the same time. This is an essay written by a Korean student we want to share with you.
------------

My Short Essay about the Philippines
Jaeyoun Kim

Filipinos always complain about the corruption in the Philippines. Do you really think the corruption is the problem of the Philippines? I do not think so. I strongly believe that the problem is the lack of love for the Philippines.

Let me first talk about my country, Korea. It might help you understand my point. After the Korean War, South Korea was one of the poorest countries in the world. Koreans had to start from scratch because entire country was destroyed completely after the Korean War, and we had no natural resources.

Koreans used to talk about the Philippines, for Filipinos were very rich in Asia. We envy Filipinos. Koreans really wanted to be well off like Filipinos. Many Koreans died of famine. My father's brother also died because of famine.

Korean government was awfully corrupt and is still very corrupt beyond your imagination, but Korea was able to develop dramatically because Koreans really did their best for the common good with their heart burning with patriotism. Koreans did not work just for themselves but also for their neighborhood and country. Education inspired young men with the spirit of patriotism.

40 years ago, President Park took over the government to reform Korea. He tried to borrow money from other countries, but it was not possible to get a loan and attract a foreign investment because the economy situation of South Korea was so bad. Korea had only BR three factories. So, President Park sent many mine workers and nurses to Germany so that they could send money to Korea to build a factory. They had to go through a horrible experience. In 1964, President Park visited Germany to borrow money. Hundred of Koreans in Germany came to the airport to welcome him and cried there as they saw the President Park. They asked to him, "President, when can we be well off?" That was the only question everyone asked to him.
President Park cried with them and promised them that Korea would be well off if everyone works hard for Korea, and the President of Germany got the strong impression on them and lent money to Korea. So, President Park was able to build many factories in Korea.

He always asked Koreans to love their country from their heart. Many Korean scientists and engineers in the USA came back to Korea to help developing country because they wanted their country to be well off.

Though they received very small salary, they did their best for Korea. They always hoped that their children would live in well off country.

My parents always brought me to the places where poor and physically handicapped people live. They wanted me to understand their life and help them. I also worked for Catholic Church when I was in the army. The only thing I learned from Catholic Church was that we have to love our neighborhood. And I have loved my neighborhood.

Have you cried for the Philippines? I have cried for my country several times. I also cried for the Philippines because of so many poor people. I have been to the New Bilibid prison. What made me sad in the prison were the prisoners who do not have any love for their country. They go to mass and work for Church. They pray everyday. However, they do not love the Philippines. I talked to two prisoners at the maximum security compound, and both of them said that they would leave the Philippines right after they are released from the prison. They said that they would start a new life in other countries and never come back to the Philippines.

Many Koreans have a great love for Korea so that we were able to share our wealth with our neighborhood. The owners of factory and company were distributed their profit to their employees fairly so that employees could buy what they needed and saved money for the future and their children. When I was in Korea, I had a very strong faith and wanted to be a
priest. However, when I came to the Philippines, I completely lost my faith. I was very confused when I saw many unbelievable situations in the Philippines. Street kids always make me sad, and I see them everyday. The Philippines is the only Catholic country in Asia, but there are too many poor people here. People go to church every Sunday to pray, but nothing has been changed.

My parents came to the Philippines last week and saw this situation. They told me that Korea was much poorer than the present Philippines when they were young. They are so sorry that there so many beggars and street kids. When we went to Pasangjan, I forced my parents to take a boat because it would fun. However, they were not happy after taking a boat. They said that they would not take the boat again because they were sympathized the boat men, for the boat men were very poor and had a small frame. Most of people just took a boat and enjoyed it. But my parents did not enjoy it because of love for them.

My mother who has been working for Catholic Church since I was very young told me that if we just go to mass without changing ourselves, we are not Catholic indeed. Faith should come with action. She added that I have to love Filipinos and do good things for them because all of us are same and have received a great love from God.

I want Filipinos to love their neighborhood and country as much as they love God so that the Philippines will be well off. I am sure that love is the keyword which Filipinos should remember. We cannot change the sinful structure at once. It should start from person. Love must start in everybody in a small scale and have to grow. A lot of things happen if we open up to love. Let's put away our prejudices and look at our worries with our new eyes. I discover that every person is worthy to be loved. Trust in love, because it makes changes possible. Love changes you and me. It changes people, contexts and relationships.

It changes the world.

Please love your neighborhood and country. Jesus Christ said that whatever we do to others we do to Him. In the Philippines, there is God for people who are abused and abandoned. There is God who is crying for love. If you have a child, teach them how to love the Philippines. Teach them why they have to love their neighborhood and country.

You already know that God also will be very happy if you love others. That's all I really want to ask you Filipinos.

-----------

Now I will second her/his curiosity. Is the Philippines worth crying for?

Who will shed tears for the Motherland.

Who will lend a hand to lift her spirit, to hold the lonely Flag that symbolize her name.

If you love the motherland, it's just a click to spread this message.

"Life with CHRIST is an endless hope, without HIM, a hopeless end.

++++++++

well... count me in.... I find it very sad to see that there are more foreigners who appreciate our country more than its citizens.....

See less See more
#2 ·
Count me in.
Honestly, I am not a religious person but am praying for the country's peace and progress.

Reactions: jqacebedo
#8 ·
yes it's worth crying for that's about the only thing you can do given the present political situation. Many people I think love the Phil. more than those who don't. But plenty more don't care ,apathetic,oblivious. Money is god now specially to politicians where they will sell out everything for a mansion. If More people become selfless and think for the greater good for many then things will change. It seems everyone know s the problem but all they're good at is talking with no solution at bay. That's all most pinoy politicians know what to do ,go on talkshaws and talk and talk and criticize and accuse and allege and grandstand setting a bad impression to the rest of the world how chaotic and unstable Philippine society is . And they wonder why investors are hesitant to invest.

#10 ·
That was a very moving piece written by a non-citizen. I could feel her passion for what she believes in. Sadly, that's one of the problems Filipinos face now. We do not appreciate what we have in our own nation. Our colonial mentality has formed us into taking someone else's shoes in terms of laying upon our beliefs and traditions. We try to be someone else we're not. Filipinos are very supportive but what's wrong is that we are naive as to where our support should be given. We are helpful to 'others' and would do everything in our means just to gain the 'others'' trust. We choose to be deaf and blind in offering our help to our fellow Filipinos. Within our circle, we try to beat each other's capacity by proving that we are better.

We have become pessimists in pursuing our goals yet we become dogs flipping our tails at a mere call for help by 'others'. As what I've always believed, improvement will take place once we have improved ourselves first in every aspect--mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. I used to be in that line of thinking back there but I have seen a lot in New York where the crucible's at. I may not be in the country physically but my love for the Philippines will come unsurpassed. I bust my ass against different people to prove that A Filipino can play their game at a better score.

#12 ·
boybaha said:
Yeah-- I ain't dying for any nation. Extreme nationalism just doesn't make sense to me.
That's your prerogative. But my point is, Americans love their country like a mother for her newborn which is probably why America's been the most productive nation for decades, just like citizens of powerful nations like the U.K, France, Italy, and even China & Japan that I meet around the City. Go figure.

By the way are you in the service (Navy, Army, MArines?) If so, which country?

#13 ·
I am an American and I would not die for the United States.

If you really think about it, nationalism as a cause for wars or as a cause for the loss of life is quite irrational. Yes I will die for my family and for my friends. But what makes the connection to a larger community of like peoples, who share a culture perhaps, or share different cultures, a reason for the loss of life? I find no reason in it whatsoever. There must be a compelling reason why, but somebody should explain it to me because I just don't get it. Do I have my sense of priorities screwed up? Or maybe I just mistrust a powerful entity (this time, the US government) and its use of force and power to achieve its aims.... and now I guess we need to differentiate nation and the state, but in many ways the state uses "nation" as a justification for its actions.

#14 ·
Very well... Not that I advocate war in any form but the U.S. was just constrained to protect its people, which by the way was instigated by the terrorists' attack on 9/11. A good example is the aftermath of the catastrophe where majority of the citizens drafted themselves to fight against terrorism. That's love for nation. Then again, it's not the country in geography what the people are fighting for, but the nation and what comprises it as a whole-- people, culture, traditions among many others. Again, I was speaking about Americans in general which apparently have exceptions.

Sometimes we don't know the degree of compassion we can reach until further provoked. I know exactly what you're saying and impulsively I would've reacted the same thing.

#16 ·
Neither. We're just unfortunate to be born Filipinos. But that is not something to be shamed about. Still proud I was born. Let's make the most out of it. And make the most out of being born a Filipino. But hey, no crying or dying for it. Whatever it is that is happening in our country is also happening or will happen somewhere else. Take heart!

#22 ·
boybaha said:
But not worth lying for.
So who do you think lied...Lacson! You're right. The busted-crooked has been concocting all the lies obviously. You should have accepted it as the truth by now.

#23 ·
boybaha said:
Yeah-- I ain't dying for any nation. Extreme nationalism just doesn't make sense to me.
Dying for freedom does not mean extreme nationalism. People do care for the freedom of the future generation, their children, and the children of their children.

You are an American Citizen right. It is because of the people that died for freedom that your are able to enjoy you're own freedom right now. It is this freedom that compelled you're parents to migrate to the US to give you a good life. Freedom is what make the United States the land of milk and honey and money.

#25 ·
i love pinas...i'm not even pinoy and just made myself one...i wish that many pinoys would love their country too. I was in a jeep two days ago going to pasig and had a talk with a guy there who wished that the americans should have never left. 'tangina, i was so mad i wanted to beat the sh*t out of his f*cking brains!!

#26 ·
The Philippines is worth fighting for.
Crying is but a show of emotion. Fighting for the poor people's freedom on poverty and good governance signifies the love for country. If you do not fight or stand-up for anything, you are a worthless case thriving on bahala na stupidity. Use your mind, heart and energy to change society.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.