SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Andhra Pradesh Discussions

402K views 3K replies 99 participants last post by  Hunter@786 
#1 ·
Well i believe we do need a thread to discuss about the issues related to the development of the state. So here you go folks....use this thread for any kinda discussions related to the development of Andhra Pradesh.

So fellow Andhraites join in!

:cheers:

#4 ·
This kind of difference was created by politicians(as everyone knows). Common people no matter from which region they are, ought to be like brothers. Ok if you take umbrage at this, may I suggest that all Telugus join this thread? The name of the state should have been TeluguNadu like in TamilNadu instead of AndhraPradesh. This is also one of the reasons why people of other regions do NOT subscribe to the term "Andhrite".

Remember: Above all, we are Indians and should NOT bother about the politicians who create the petty differences between people from different regions.

#3 ·
Digression ---
Scoobysaurus,
Aren't you being a bit too nit-picky here.
I am sure that Harsh meant Andhraite to mean resident of "Andhra Pradesh" which is the generally accepted term anyway.
---

Coming back to the topic. I think one of the fundamental areas of concern for Andhra Pradesh is the literacy level of the general population. The literacy rate at the turn of the century in the state was 61%. We have a large percentage (> 60%) of the population dependent on agriculture now which is not a sustainable option. If you look at the developed world usually less than 3% of the population is engaged in agriculture.

A large percentage of the population engaged in agriculture implies that the land holdings are generally small. Small land holdings imply that the farmer is not a position to invest in mechanized agriculture and is usually dependent on the vagaries of the monsoon. Even a single season of drought would push such a farmer into a debt trap.

The only permanent solution for this problem is to move the majority of the population into the services and the industrial sectors where employment is much more stable. This will have the twin benefits of having a large percentage of the general population gainfully employed and enjoying a stable source of income and larger land holdings implying greater agricultural yields. But for this to happen the general population should be literate and each and every person should be skilled in atleast one sector.

We are long way away from moving toward this goal. However I see that there has no been no systematic push by the government to increase the literacy levels of the population. To achieve universal literacy which should be guaranteed by the constitution you need sustained efforts on various fronts. Government funding should be increased for education. More primary, secondary, and high schools should be built in every district across the state and attention should be focussed on school retention levels and graduation rates.

The number of colleges and universities should be increased across the state. Ideally we need two good universities in every district of the state. Government should also focus attention in adult education programs. The mid-day meal scheme should be made universal and the food served in these schemes should have a high nutrient value.

All of this is well within the reach of the government. AP had the highest budget allocation (Rs 100,000 crores) amongst all the states in India this year. But I see no such push from the government nor have I seen anything written about it anywhere in the print media. I do hope it changes in the future though.

#8 ·
oive, what a beginning for the thread!!

anywhoo, i have a question.. is there a law against corporates buying agricultural land from individual farmers and employing them in those same farms?

i would think this would provide stability to the farmers, push the risk onto the corporate who can afford it and also provide room for implementing the latest technology!!

Of course most Indians look at big companies as some sort of scourge on the land, but it does make sense doesn't it?

#10 ·
Andhra set to surpass Bengal in fish production

With an expected fresh water fish production of 1.2 million tonne this year as against 765,000 tonne last year, Andhra Pradesh is set to replace West Bengal (WB) as the top producer of fish in the country.

According to Arvind Kumar, state commissioner of fisheries, the overall fish production in Andhra is estimated to touch 1.4 million tonne this year as against 1.3 million tonne in West Bengal. In addition to fresh water fish, the state will be harvesting 260,000 tonne of marine fish and 40,000 tonne of brackish water shrimp. Andhra is already the top producer of brackish water shrimps in the country.

While making the production estimates, he said, 40 per cent mortality rate had been taken into consideration. At a conservative estimate of Rs 25 a kg, the value of fresh water fish production would be about Rs 2,900 crore. Harvesting of fish would start from this month.

Kumar told Business Standard that the over 50 per cent rise in inland fish production was on account of over two-fold increase in fish seed stocking and four-fold increase in water spread area covered. Fish seed stocking increased from 193.3 million last year to 413.8 million this year while the water spread area had gone up to 700,000 hectares from 175,000 hectares.

By utilising the funds available from various agencies, the state government had supplied fish seed at 50 per cent subsidy to fishermen cooperative societies for stocking in tanks and at free of cost for stocking in reservoirs. In the process, the government had also ensured seed stocking in all 57,605 tanks and 27 large reservoirs in the state.

The state spent Rs 27.7 crore towards supply of seed to fishermen this year. Of this, Rs 17.8 crore was sanctioned by the National Fisheries Development Board (NFDB). The other agencies, which contributed to the programme, include Rashtriya Krishi Vikas Yojana and AP Community-based Tank Management Project, a World Bank-assisted project.

Kumar said a total of 750,000 fishermen, who hitherto depended upon middlemen for working capital requirements, were benefitted under the programme. The value of the additional production, which would directly accrue to the fishermen, was estimated at Rs 724.15 crore.

The state governments of Karnataka, Maharashtra, Chhattisgarh and Jharkhand are now trying to adopt the AP model and have submitted their proposals in this regard to NFDB for assistance.

Source: http://www.business-standard.com/india/storypage.php?autono=339387

#11 ·
Tall claims poor achievement

AP, Karnataka are literacy laggards: Survey report

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kerala and the North-eastern States lead the way in literacy indices. The Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan is nowhere near achieving its goal.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A. Srinivas

Bangalore, Nov. 17

Andhra Pradesh has the highest proportion of rural illiterates after Bihar. It also has the second highest proportion of urban illiterates, after Jammu and Kashmir.

The 63rd Report of the National Sample Survey on Household Consumer Expenditure, conducted in 2006-07, points out that AP’s rural literacy level is 52.5 per cent, against 52.2 per cent in Bihar. The all-India rural literacy level is 65.1 per cent.

Urban areas in AP have a literacy level of 77.6 per cent, against 77.3 per cent in Jammu and Kashmir and 78.5 per cent in Bihar. The all-India urban literacy level is 83.5 per cent.

Karnataka data

Karnataka’s rural and urban literacy levels are 62.8 per cent and 81.7 per cent, both below the national average. This goes to show that all the southern states cannot boast better social indices.

The Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan is nowhere near achieving its goal of providing “useful and relevant elementary education for all children in the 6-14 age group by 2010”. NSS data over the years show that the gender gap has not narrowed much.

In 1999-2000, the proportion of literate men and women in rural areas was 67.8 per cent and 43.3 per cent respectively. In 2006-07, the proportion of literate men and women in rural India was 75.9 per cent and 53.5 per cent.

In urban areas, the proportion of literate men increased from 86.5 per cent to 89.4 per cent between 1999-00 and 2006-07. The proportion of literate women increased from 72.3 per cent to 77.1 per cent.

Female literacy

It is not only the economically backward States that have fallen behind the national average in female literacy. The failure of relatively better off States to make advances in female literacy holds true, particularly for rural India.

While the national average for female literacy in urban India is 77.1 per cent, those below or close to it are: AP (69.8 per cent), Karnataka (75.1 per cent), J&K (66 per cent), Haryana (71 per cent), Punjab (77.2 per cent), Rajasthan (64.2 per cent), Uttar Pradesh (68.8 per cent), Madhya Pradesh (75.9 per cent), Bihar (69.8 per cent) and Uttaranchal (73.7 per cent).

In rural India, those below or near the national average of 53.5 per cent are: AP (41.9 per cent), Gujarat (54.6 per cent), J&K (56.2 per cent), Karnataka (53.2 per cent), Haryana (58.2 per cent), Punjab (58.7 per cent), Chhatisgarh (53.5 per cent), Jharkhand (45.4 per cent), MP (49.1 per cent) , Orissa (47.8 per cent), UP (48.7 per cent), and Bihar (38.2 per cent).

This perhaps explains the relatively high average rural household size in some prosperous states – Haryana (5.3), Gujarat (5.1) and Punjab (4.8) – in relation to the national average of 4.8. While the all-India average household size is 4.8, poorer States have a higher household size, such as Bihar (5.1), Chhatisgarh (5.1), Jharkhand (5.5), MP (5.6), Rajasthan (5.6) and UP (5.6).

The average urban household size is 4.3, but those above or close to it include not just the poor states but Haryana (4.8), Gujarat (4.6), Maharashtra (4.3) and Punjab (4.2). It is below four in AP, Tamil Nadu, Kerala and West Bengal.

Kerala and the North-eastern States lead the way in literacy indices.

The patchy achievements in female literacy suggest that while post-reform years have led to a higher participation of women in the workforce, this has not translated into an opening up of educational opportunities.

Social attitudes seem to be coming in the way. These attitudes do not seem to disappear with a rise in prosperity, as is evident in the skewed sex ratios and high household size in some better-off States.

#12 ·
This is what I was talking about in my earlier post. We need more of these literacy surveys, hopefully done every year. May be the AP government will be shamed into action on the literacy front. I doubt that will happen though.

It is amazing to think that in AP the rural literacy level is 52.5% only slightly above the 52.2% mark for Bihar. What is the use of having a 100,000 crore budget if your basic social indices are amongst the worst in the nation.

#14 ·
Head count exercise

Hey i just wanted to do a head count of guys from AP. AP is a big state and we have lot of big projects going on.....so we need to make our subsection more vibrant.

So add in your names.....if you guys are from AP and let us see where we can go from there.

1. Harsh1802

#16 ·
APSRTC to add 3,000 buses to fleet

The Andhra Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation (APSRTC) will add 3,000 new buses to its existing fleet of 21,000 by the end of the current financial year. It will also introduce air-conditioned inter-city services in various parts of the state from January 26, said managing director V Dinesh Reddy.

Addressing mediapersons here on Monday, he said the corporation was now ferrying 14 million passengers every day in the state and the occupancy rate of its buses had gone up to 73 per cent. “This had helped the corporation earn an operational profit of Rs 118 crore on revenues of Rs 5,100 crore in the first three quarters of the current fiscal.”

The APSRTC had accumulated losses to the tune of Rs 1,200 crore over the years. It, however, earned Rs 300 crore profits for the last three years, he said, adding that the corporation was planning to launch 11 super luxury services from Tirumala to Bengaluru and Chennai shortly.

The corporation will also add 1,000 biodiesel-fuelled buses to its fleet this year. At present, It is operating 1,200 biodiesel buses in the state apart from 100 compressed natural gas-run buses in Vijayawada.

APSRTC has a fleet utilisation of 99.37 per cent and a breakdown rate 0.1 per cent. The vehicle utilisation per bus a day is 357 kilometre while the per employee productivity is 58 kilometre per day.

Source: http://www.business-standard.com/india/news/apsrtc-to-add-3000-buses-to-fleet/21/30/346543/

#24 ·
#25 ·
Service sector contributes almost 50% of the state GDP

Services sector contributes 50% of AP’s GSDP

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/2009/02/07/stories/2009020750951700.htm

The services sector continues to be the biggest contributor to Andhra Pradesh Gross State Domestic Product (GSDP) accounting for about 49.05 per cent followed by industries (26.30 per cent) and agriculture (24.65 per cent).

The Survey of Socio Economic Trends and State Plan 2009-2010 presented by the State Finance Minister, Mr K. Rosaiah, to the Legislature outlined some of the major economic trends.

Per capita income

The per capita income of Andhra Pradesh at current prices is Rs 35,864 as against the All-India per capita income of at Rs 33,283. The per capita income has more than doubled for all-India and the State during 2000-2001 and 2007-2008.

According to crop estimates, the production of foodgrains in the State is estimated to be 179.01 lakh tonnes in 2008-2009 (second advanced estimate) as against the production of 198.17 lakh tonnes in 2007-2008, registering fall in overall output.

The production of rice is expected to be 131.13 lakh tonnes in 2008-2009 (133.24 lakh tonnes) .

Power sector

Referring to the power sector, the survey pointed out that the installed capacity, including Central sector is 12, 423 MW as of September 2008. During 2008-2009, the State Government provided a tariff subsidy of Rs 1,182 crore and the total subsidy provided to the agriculture sector, including cross subsidy, is Rs 3,033crore.

The information technology sector recorded a growth of 41 per cent in 2007-2008 achieving exports of Rs 26,122 crore. This sector contributed to 52 per cent of total exports from all sectors in the State.

The State contributed about 15 per cent of the national IT exports and ranked fourth in IT performance in the country. The IT sector created additional employment of 51,500 with the cumulative employment of 2,39,000.

#27 ·
I do not agree Harsh1802. The worrying factor is that so much of our population in the state is dependant on agriculture (about 60-70%) when it's share in the GDP is so low.

Thinking logically in AP the yields/hectare are about 30-50% (this is a guess) of those in advanced countries so there is only so much room for improvement there. The real problem for us is the dependance on agriculture as a large employer.

If you expect a decent standard of living for the vast majority of the population then agriculture is not the sector that you should be dependant upon for a state with a pop of 8 crores. Ideally the share in the GDP and percentage of population that is dependant on agriculture should both be below 5%.

We should move the masses away from agriculture and into Industrial and Services sectors where employment is much more dependable. This cannot be achieved overnight and needs sustained investments in education and infrastructure sectors as well as continued support for private investment over several decades.

For the first time in recent history I see a sincere commitment to providing funds for education. In this years budget Rosaiah has dedicated Rs 9047 crore for school education and Rs 2383 crore for higher education which combined is about 12% of the annual budget. Hopefully this will continue in the future as well.

#32 ·
Ok guys....with the list growing i want some ideas for separate threads on various mega projects going on in AP.

Some of them that i can recall at the top of my head are....

1) Major irrigation projects going on around the state;
2) Major Highway and stateway works;
3) Major Ports;
4) Longest Irrigation Tunnel

More http://wwx.baunetz.de/sixcms_4/sixcm.../tu5_35_37.pdf

5) Odyssey Science City .

Add/edit as you feel.

6) Power projects in the state
Anything related to electricty generation, transmission and distribution.

#33 ·
#36 ·
Look Mr. Imperialist, that post was directed at someone who was wanting to name the state Telugu Nadu. And as far as I'm concerned, neither telangana nor andhra can have a nadu name cuz thats Tamil and this aint Tamil Nadu! its AP. ok? By the way I'm in favor of a united AP so don't call me a seperatist. Is it wrong to like Telangan or what?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.