SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Bankside Yards | Southwark | 166m, 108m, 94m, 85m, 59m, 58m, 39m, 25m, 22m | 50, 31, 27, 20, 17, 14, 7, 7, 6 fl | U/C + proposed

405K views 901 replies 194 participants last post by  geogregor 
#1 ·
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/11/04/uk-southbank-idUKTRE7A341Z20111104

Private equity giant Carlyle CYL.UL is planning a mixed-use property project worth about 2 billion pounds next to the Tate Modern art gallery on the south bank of London's River Thames, a source close to the project said.

Carlyle, which filed for an IPO in September that could raise up to $1 billion (626 million pound), will submit plans for a 1.5 million square feet project that includes more than 1,000 flats in blocks as tall as 30 storeys, the source told Reuters.

If the project goes ahead it will be one of biggest developments the area has seen.

Carlyle, which has $153 billion in assets under management, bought six properties out of administration in July 2010 for 670 million pounds. It plans to knock down two, on the south bank of the River Thames, as part of the project.

The proposals, which are being drawn up by PLP Architects, include about 300,000 square feet of offices and 200,000 square feet of shops.

It will be the latest in a series of large-scale redevelopment schemes on the south bank of the Thames.

In a joint venture with Development Securities (DSC.L), Carlyle lost out to Canary Wharf Group (CWG) and Qatari Diar in a bid to develop the nearby Shell Centre further earlier this year.

CWG is majority owned by Songbird Estates (SBDE.L).

Sellar Group is developing a 1,016-feet tall skyscraper called The Shard and a neighbouring 500 million pounds block next to London Bridge train station. It hopes to attract financial services tenants from the City financial district, just north of the River Thames.

The Carlyle story first appeared in the London Evening Standard on Friday.

See less See more
#31 ·
Almost any replacement would be an improvement on the current building, which is absolutely foul.

#32 ·
What can one do with this plot of land? It's never going to be that pleasant... It just fantasy to suggest they would build over the tracks. Network Rail would object decisively.
Agreed it's a long shot, and only of strategic importance for Network Rail only if it can create grade-separation at Herne Hill, and so unlock the 4-track route up through Elephant & Castle. It's a great shame that this development blocks the growth of Blackfriars westwards. I feel NR might look favourably at this, and perhaps redevelopment will allow it to expand its station entrance on the South Bank, which may quickly become more popular than the main station on the north bank.

:)

#37 ·

How did our country, our city end up even looking like this?

Most of those building could do with being knocked down.

Those 'houses' or flats on the river Get rid of them now!

As for the massive monstrosity that looks like a cruise liner has been stranded, seriously what were people thinking?
^^

That has got to be one of the worst stretches of the Thames. A mixed bag of different styles, like Cinderella's ugly stepsisters trying to compete with each other for attention.

#38 ·
There's going to be an exhibition at the Bankside Resident Forum tomorrow Tuesday 22 May.

It would be nice to see some renderings...

Ludgate House & Sampson House Public Exhibition

Carlyle Group, the owners of Ludgate House on Blackfriars Road and Sampson House on Hopton Street, will present their plans for the redevelopment of these prime sites close to the new Blackfriars Railway Station.

"Our initial plans include turning the existing impermeable block structures into a vibrant and open area which includes residential, retail and offices as well as cultural centres and new public spaces by the Thames," says managing director Mark Harris.

Full article here: http://www.london-se1.co.uk/whatson/event/12615/ludgate-house-and-sampson-house-public-exhibition

#42 ·
http://www.bdonline.co.uk/news/plp-reveals-images-of-its-bankside-scheme/5037421.article#

PLP reveals images of its Bankside scheme
30 May 2012 | By Elizabeth Hopkirk

Eight buildings to replace two in South Bank redevelopment frenzy

PLP has revealed images of its plans to redevelop two prominent sites straddling Blackfriars Station on London’s South Bank.

The 93,000 sq m scheme is at an early stage but will comprise eight new buildings of which five could be high-rise residential towers with up to 750 flats.

It also proposes a “public” square, new pedestrian routes running parallel with the Thames, a waterside gallery building and the conversion of disused railways arches for retail use.

The development will replace two existing mid-rise buildings: Ludgate House, currently home to BD’s parent company UBM, and IBM’s brutalist Sampson House on the other side of the railway.

The new scheme will step up across the site from Rogers Stirk Harbour’s Neo Bankside to Ian Simpson’s One Blackfriars which is due to be built immediately south west of Blackfriars Bridge.

The first stage of the scheme will begin in 2015 when UBM has moved to its new AHMM-designed home one block to the south.

#45 ·
I know it's only a concept drawing, but the building in the first picture seems to butt against the station, which would nix adding a platform or two in the future. On the plus side, it looks like a fairly light-weight construction - it wouldn't be as painful to knock it down in 20 years as a skyscraper.

That last pic looks promising - there is a potentially great public space buried under the horrible Sampson House.

#47 ·
The thing is they have no reason to. They can't act on the vague idea it might be nice if there were a couple of extra platforms there. Unless someone is willing to put up some cash and buy the land or designate it as future railway land, so it would show up in a legal search, then they can ignore. Office buildings have been built and pulled down in less time than takes official plans to come to fruition.

#48 ·
The land for Herne Hill's grade separation is safeguarded. When that work is done (admittedly very unlikely to be within the next 20 years), they'll need an extra bay platform or two at Blackfriars to make use of the E&C corridor's potential as a proper metro route. It would just seem short-sighted not to safeguard the land, especially when the planned development is at its earliest stages and could be designed around a widened viaduct.

#50 ·
The land for Herne Hill's grade separation is safeguarded.
Any idea what land they have safeguarded? Any maps etc.?

they'll need an extra bay platform or two at Blackfriars to make use of the E&C corridor's potential as a proper metro route. It would just seem short-sighted not to safeguard the land, especially when the planned development is at its earliest stages and could be designed around a widened viaduct.
I agree. But I haven't heard of TfL or Network Rail pitching in to safeguard the land, it's not mentioned in the RUS... Seems like another future-proofing blindspot, another strategic intervention that slips through the gaps because no-one is in charge or taking a lead...

:(

#51 ·
Any idea what land they have safeguarded? Any maps etc.?
No maps, I'm afraid, but someone who was in the know told me ages ago that the land was the NR maintenance depot and adjoining industrial site between the two lines just north of the station. That would suggest a smaller scheme than full blown grade separation - perhaps a fly-over for northbound Thameslink services, which might be the best that we'll ever get given how horribly expensive and difficult it would be to rebuild the station.

There was a plan for grade separation bandied about as an alternative to sending more Thameslink services through Borough Market; you can see it in this doc. It'd be pretty unpopular in the area as a lot of gardens, several shops and half a primary school would be lost, mainly for the benefit of commuters from Kent.

#52 ·
Bankside Quarter | Southwark | 161m/108m/94m | 49/30/26 fl | Approved

Hi guys, not on here much these days, but i came across this and thought it was worth a thread.
Anyone who's ever walked along the south bank will know these buildings.
Looks like PLP architects have been given the task opening up the site and replacing the existing buildings with a collection of towers.
There are some early sketches online, and if they're anything like the final proposals then we're looking at something around the same height as the Beetham tower next door.

You can find out more here, and I've pasted a few of the more interesting images below http://www.ludgateandsampson.com/

#55 ·
It's hard to say anything about this proposal given the pictures are just a load of rectangles, but the two existing buildings offer nothing other than an irritating obstacle to people trying to move around this part of town, so if the development opens up pedestrian thoroughfares, then it'll be an improvement.

I was taking photos of Samson house last week. It displays an almost breathtaking contempt for humanity, and it's no surprise that (at vast expense) this building is going to be destroyed. Don't expect many people to shed a tear.

#59 ·
I'm a little concerned about a growing number of skyscrapers that are on the river front, It'd be nice to have some low rise elements infront of the towers to keep things tidy (I think). Plus I actually like that building (the non-brute one, is that Ludgate?) and thought it'd (eventually) work well sitting next to the Beetham tower.

#62 ·
Yes - it should be a stated goal for the city to open up as much river frontage as possible as pedestrianed area. Since I was a kid, much of the south bank has been transformed by this process. Crowds flock to such areas. The river is one of the best assets of the city, and we need to erase the short-sighted post-industrial planning decisions.