SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Chelyabinsk

Chelyabinsk - Russia

34K views 90 replies 68 participants last post by  Leonardo M. Gaz 
#1 ·
Chelyabinsk
Pop. 1,100,100
A city of southwest Russia south of Yekaterinburg. Founded in 1736 as a Russian frontier outpost, it is a major metallurgical and industrial center

1980's photos

Chelyabinsk Today

I guess these are some proposed projects.

See less See more
#2 ·
I am not from Chelyabinsk, but my wife is :) I have been there once and I must say it was not as bad as one might think from the typical web found images. There are LOTS of nice neo-classical buildings and I never felt "depressed" walking around. Sure, there are many uninteresting commie blocks, but there are also many new developments that will obviously replace the old [ugly] buildings in the future. I was also impressed with the width of the streets and the sidewalks. I think that this city has great future... if some major investors put some money there.

I remember seeing a video clip on the proposals shown in the renderings, but never heard about the fate of them. Hopefully they will happen as envisioned :eek:kay:

By the way, my wife's apartment is located close to this intersection, at the street to the right (Tsvilling Street):

#7 ·
Beautiful wide open city

We knew this city before, maybe they have a well known footballclub. But in our atlasses this city is pronounced as : Tsjeljabinsk. It`s situated on the east flanks of the Ural. A mining district, we have learned at school.
Most Russian cities are in The Netherlands well known. For example, Lada Samara is a real car, there`s a song about Omsk in Dutch, and Novosibirsk means far away..... Within a few years I will visit Rusia. Thanx for these pics.

#9 ·
Unfortunately when i think of Chelyabinsk i tend to think of the cold war nuclear production days and the accidents that occured, at least they were a fair distance from the city.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.