Zamość (UNESCO World Heritage Site)
Promotional Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFR4c0YZ_ok&hd=1

Warszawa (UNESCO World Heritage Site)

Gdańsk

Wrocław

Lublin

Poznań

Kazimierz Dolny
Promotional Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arYFYSvSD7U&context=C4370992ADvjVQa1PpcFN7tbiNcFArZ0VQUJboe8ANzg3WvHjFJS0=

See less See more
#357 ·
To be honest, interwar period was the most saddest time for Vilnius architecture. Vilnius definitely lacks of modern interwar architecture, which are obviously very noticeable in this part of Europe's region (north east). Compare to Kaunas (Lithuanian interwar architecture heritage and it's quality), to Riga, Tallinn, Helsinki or even Stockholm. Quite sad about that.
Post-war/Soviet time architecture in Lithuania and particularly in Vilnius (Old town/Center territory) was in quite high level, mainly because of pre-war architecture tradition, so-called "Lithuanian design/interior school" ("Neringa", "Lietuva" Hotel, Sporto Rūmų Hall design ), in some cases - influence from Nordics (Finland; Šeibokas, Čekanauskas) and perhaps because of our mentality (less social realism:D).

#359 · (Edited)
If there is no reason to have tram, why we must build it? If our public transport system works fine, then why the hell we must change it absolutely? Just to build and to show "look, we have a tram, be be be be be be " ?
On the other hand, we have many new proposal for public transport system re-development: trams, metro, eco-buses etc.

edit: i am more happy because of this Vilnius Internet Connection or because of the fact that "2nd fastest internet upload and 3rd fastest download speed in the World; 1st in the World competitiveness yearbook rankings for communications technology;1st in Europe for density of network of public Internet access points (875);2nd in the EU for the share of fixed broadband lines equal to or above 30Mbps;2nd speediest upload Internet in the World in 2012;3rd in the EU for highest penetration rate of fixed broadband growth; 4th in the EU for the share of fixed broadband lines equal to or above 100Mbps;5th among the 59 world’s most developed countries for mobile telephone subscribers;
92% of financial operations are performed via e-banking; Most up-to-date ICT technologies (EDGE technology, 3G mobile communications infrastructure, mobile WiMAX 4G Internet etc.) fully implemented and functioning in the entire country;
or because of all start-ups, strongest biotech/lifescience cluster in all Baltics/East/Central Europe (more successuful than Poland and Baltics together combined); one of world-top laser and rd industry etc.
Or because of nice looking and more advanced design restaurants/cafes etc.

big city feeling is not alway about your public transport system, which is based on the needs of habitants.

#361 ·
Maybe it looks like, but all in all, pubic transport system is based on the needs. If there were no reason in past to have a tram system and if bus/trolley system works fine for us, i see no reason why we must invest large sums of money to redevelop all system...As i have said, there are many new proposals. Trams are included, also metro. It is question of time.

Also, there are some problems with trams/metro. Vilnius landscape, geological type of land (many underground rivers), unesco regulation etc. It makes many problems.

Eco-buses will change all old bus network in two-five years.
We have more concerns about cycling, because it becomes more and more popular.Even in winters :)

#363 · (Edited)
Why do you care about trams so much? Is it really so important to go from one commie block district in Wroclaw, Szczecin, etc. to another by train? Actually, in my opinion cities like Szczecin or Bialystok are rather provincial when compared to cultural, historic sites in Vilnius/Wilno. Over 30 astonishing historic Catholic Churches with preserved rich interiors, beautiful palaces of Polish-Lithuanian nobility and tenements, huge Old Town, etc.

#369 ·
^^You don't have to be sorry as no offence was taken :). You know that I feel you. Vilnius/Wilno is a real gem but there are blokowisko districts like in every (post) soviet teritories cities. It's not only historical centre for turists that's there.
Still as a thread is about polish cities I'll find a moment to prove you wrong claiming that Szczecin is blokowisko only :) :horse:.
With regards to Szczecin being "provincial" - that's your "saint" right to claim and i'll never argue with that kind of opinion.

#371 ·
I've never been to Vilnius (should go my maternal grandmother's family is from there). I hear it's beautiful but also suffers from the same modernist blight that most cities in the west also suffer from, the so-called commie-blocks in Eastern Europe, Projects and massive ugly urban sprawl in the US and Canada, the UK suffers from hideous new towns as does France and all over Europe we have the ugly pre-fab apartment towers of the post war modernists. All cities have this problem, some worse than others. The one good thing about former commie europe is that there is no wasteful ugly suburban sprawl that devours farmland, the commie blocks promoted fairly dense development at least that spared farmland.

So it really is unfair to trash Poland for its ugly blokowsko (commie blocks) districts, there is plenty of it everywhere,

Now, as for the beautiful cities, it would be very unfair to exclude Gdansk, Wroclaw, Poznan, Torun and even Lodz, which will be spectacular once the pace of restoration quickens. You should see Wroclaw and Gdansk today, even if there are many vacant parcels where pre-war construction hasn't been rebuilt yet, these cities are becoming absolutely stunning with their mix of historic and modern, much of it quite good really. If we're comparing old towns, then yes porbably Vilnius, Lviv and Krakow and Prague are best, but a city is more than just the old town, just feel the energy in Wroclaw and Lodz these days :)

Reactions: Highcliff
#372 · (Edited)
I've never been to Vilnius (should go my maternal grandmother's family is from there). I hear it's beautiful but also suffers from the same modernist blight that most cities in the west also suffer from, the so-called commie-blocks in Eastern Europe, Projects and massive ugly urban sprawl in the US and Canada, the UK suffers from hideous new towns as does France and all over Europe we have the ugly pre-fab apartment towers of the post war modernists. All cities have this problem, some worse than others. The one good thing about former commie europe is that there is no wasteful ugly suburban sprawl that devours farmland, the commie blocks promoted fairly dense development at least that spared farmland.

So it really is unfair to trash Poland for its ugly blokowsko (commie blocks) districts, there is plenty of it everywhere,

Now, as for the beautiful cities, it would be very unfair to exclude Gdansk, Wroclaw, Poznan, Torun and even Lodz, which will be spectacular once the pace of restoration quickens. You should see Wroclaw and Gdansk today, even if there are many vacant parcels where pre-war construction hasn't been rebuilt yet, these cities are becoming absolutely stunning with their mix of historic and modern, much of it quite good really. If we're comparing old towns, then yes porbably Vilnius, Lviv and Krakow and Prague are best, but a city is more than just the old town, just feel the energy in Wroclaw and Lodz these days :)
I do not want to agree with You.:) Maybe You will one day come to Vilnius and see for yourself, but in my opinion:
1. Vilnius NCC is not very high. Actually, the highest building is Europa Tower and there will not be more higher building. Why? Because if you look from some panoramic spots and from some OldTown places, highrises might drown with or put into the shade with Gediminas Tower/Upper Castle ruins. So, the X structure/project can not be heigher than Europa Tower, because it will contradict with Gediminas Tower and Old Town. It is a very strict rule, sometimes very expensive :) and cost us investments in NCC.
Copenhagen and many other Northern Europe cities also does not have highrises and concentrate on smaller highrises (at the moment in Vilniu - K29 project, DNB bank HQ, later - Vilniaus Vartų/gates of Vilnius expansion (Arches project) )
On the other hand, there are territories in Vilnius where higher building can be built. (Western City center);

2. Modern Architecture quality. Well, it is, you know, a subjective matter and our outlook depends on our taste.:). But. Every project must be confirmed by Commision of Architects. They can agree with project, give some explanations, say some observations, comments, they pay attention even on details. Main thing - a building/project must fit into the environment and can not contradict with older building. For instance, this is a new modern (that glassy one) building in Gediminas avenue (New/Old Town):

© xxl

So you can not build whatever you want. Public interest uber alles:D

3. Soviet-era architecture. It was in very heigh level. For instance, National Art Gallery building, some buildings in Gedeminas avenue can stand in most developed cities which has a strict heritage protection. Reasons why in Vilnius soviet time architecture is very good are several: archtects continued interwar architecture and design tradition (arch. Šeibokas building in one corner in Gediminas prospect), they tried to implement less social realism connotations, we had very developed interior design school (Neringa, Lietuva Hotel, Sporto rūmai hall and others ). Sometimes architects cheated and said to Moscow: "we need more money, because constrcutors chrashed glass-windows" or smth like that. So, architects had good possibilities to develop their ideas and used expensive materials. For instance, Opera and Ballet Theater (here is a link with all rejeted/confirmed projects) - http://www.autc.lt/Public/HeritageObject.aspx?rt=3&oe=5&id=931

Plus, we had some Nordic influence (particularly from Finland).

Yes, there are some building in the OldTown, which are...not in the right place, like Salomėjos Nėries gymnasium or Contemprorary Art Musem. But. This is the only one drawback. Architecture of above-mentioned buildings looks great. Other buildings (former cinema" Lietuva" sooner or later will be demolished).

4. Suburb district (so called "sleeping district"). I terms of life quality, i think, they are great (i think the same is in Poland). Compare them with some London's districts. Or with some Italian districts. Not so bad, I think.:)
Architecture? Well, Lazdynų district is based on one Helsinki district example. More similarities than differences.
Actually, probably all commieblock districts were developed on the example of Lazdynai, this means, "a district in the forest". Nature is very noticeable in Vilnius.
---
See You in Vilnius.:)

#373 ·
I agree, modern architecture can be ok as long as it fits into the existing fabric of a city and doesn't stick out. I'm glad that Vilnius is not allowing for very tall buildings too close to the old town and that you are developing a separate district for that. And most architects during this era of skyscrapers forget that low or mid-rise buildings are not necessarily low density, you can get almost the same density from mid-rise as high rises in most cases without the environmental impact (overshadowing, winds etc).

I am very much looking forward to visiting Vilnius and finding some of my roots. :)

Reactions: Highcliff
#375 ·
I appreciate the work that has been done in Warsaw to rebuild the former beauty, it's been wonderful.. I'm not much informed about Polish cities, but once eliminated the commie blocks and other grim parts of the cities, you have lot of gems.. Krakow and Sczecin are also beautiful

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.