SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Saules akmens - when leaving switch out the lights

6K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  Gatis 
#1 ·
So.. official opening of Saules akmens has happened. It was for selected people. There was firework from the top of the building and fine lights but I missed it - just saw in the evening news.
In Riga there is happening a lot more, thus even with all these happenings Saules akmens was a bit lonely and sad - public as always is having fun in the enormous Centre in the other coast of Daugava.

Just three pictures from this evening:

This street - Balasta dambis - should be the future highrise street. Now it is small and silent
Looking from middle part of Kipsala

And from the corner at Daugava

OK, so Saules akmens construction saga is over and we concentrate more on the other ones...

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks great at night although I think the pictures are a bit too dark if honestly.

I wish to see a big photo thread of Riga by night some day (especially the old town with lit-up buildings), never really seen many nightshots of Riga in a single thread.

#4 ·
Hmm .. I really don't believe your camera cannot produce good night photos, maybe you just have to change some settings for night photographing (set slower shutter speed, reduce ISO to avoid "noise" ).

But anyway from these pictures I can realize how cool SA looks at night. Now I'm wondering if they're always going to keep all the lights on at night? And is there any special exterior ilumination from outside?

#5 ·
I am sure that they will not keep the lights on. Unfortunately I do not see also any specific illuminations...
Regarding camera - I set ISO the lovest possible - ISO 100. Shutter speed??? It is automatic. Will look for option to make in longer - did not imagine to do this. Huh, I even have tripod although have never used it...

#11 ·
@Singidunum - This highrise was built over the last 18 months.

@John - will try to find some time to learn pictures with this camera. It should manage well - I realise it after looking great night pictures made by lover class cameras.

Btw. in Internet comments many local people complain about the glowing letters "Hansabanka" - they say that it destroys the balance of the building. To my mind it adds something... and after all spending 30 mio EUR you have some rights to place your name on it???
How do you think???

#15 ·
I think the "Hansabank" text changes the character of the building a lot, especially at night. It's like as if it is entirely different building than the one you photographed on that summer morning, glittering against the reddish sky. The company definitely has every right to put their name on top it and be proud of it.

Gatis, have you ever considered the possibility of asking the owners if it were possible to visit the building from inside some day?

#20 ·
Before start to build Saules Akmens, they announced that they move the heasd ofice to Riga. When are they going to do that?

Gatis said:
Partly true.
This building serves as head office for Latvian Hansabanka. Head office stays in Tallinn. Hansabanka is the main tenant and owner of the building but some floors in the middle are rented for other companies.

#21 ·
@Janis_LV - such talks are constant in Hansapank (in Estonia). But no official decision has been taken about it - and may be never will be done. There is no practical reasoning for it yet. Currently Hansapank is becoming more Latvian and Lithuanian, true Panbaltic bank. Some shareholders are Estonians, some - Scandinavians. In Latvia it has local managers and staff, in Lithuania the same. Seems, that very little part of their profit leaves Latvia.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.