SkyscraperCity Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Future megacities in the developed world

132K views 667 replies 120 participants last post by  Skyline_FFM 
#1 ·
Is Chicago the only urban area in the developed world that is growing fast enough to become a megacity by 2050?

#588 · (Edited)
exactly! definitively, Those 3 cities you named are almost reaching the 1st world catogory, everytime i go to cities like montreal, philadelphia, seattle i see no diference at all, my city has all services those cities have but cheaper.

i mean, Baires, MXC and SP, have arenas, stadiums, subway, conmmuter train, big airports, big bussiness distric areas, lots of deparments and residential zones, re-bulding the slums, important universities, big concerts, omportant HQ'S and much more while lagos, jakarta, mumbai, cairo, manila, cape town etc etc are not being developed as fast as mxc, baires and sp.

and of course, im speaking subjectivity.

#597 ·
last time i went to mexico city was last whole summer and before that was july 2006.
my dad right now lives in a new loft in napoles aerea when i came this summer i thought this was not mexico city because there was like hundred of new apartment with glass balconies and really modern with new security. my old apartment was gone right now becasue the are constructing a new condo. that makes me see how fast mx city is modernizing it could be developed in 2010 even theres no more slum houses sprwling but nice suburban houses. the slums area has a large amount of middle income condos or apartments risin in the area .slums could be gone before 2030.

#605 ·
I agree, it baffles me how South Africa is developed yet South Korea is not. But some people here insist that South African cities are somewhat inferior to those who are in the same situation, and that are still newly industrialized. I was simply just using the same logic as those who judge cities by the statistics of their respective country.

I'm still waiting to hear how Cape Town is still developing, and is put in the same category as Mumbai and Lagos. Also, Cape Town isn't even the largest city nor the financial center of South Africa, that city is Johannesburg.

#608 ·
To those judging Cape Town by South Africa's entire GDP, please go do a little more research. Don't look at SOUTH AFRICA, look at CAPE TOWN. Assumptions are ignorance. Cape Town doesn't have the highest quality of life, tourism levels, ratings etc. compared to other SA cities for no reason.

#609 ·
Oh the ignorance!!!! you guys make me so angry! Cape Town has better living standards for people in the formal sector than most cities in the world! the massive influx of rich people from europe proves that! all numbers in Cape Town are skewed because unschooled migrants from the previous transkei. Cape Town will no longer have any slums by 2015! Cape Town international airport was awarded the honour of being the best airport in africa for the last 4 years and that while the airport is being rebuilt! we have world class highways stadia malls and developements! many 5 star hotels are being built and we already have some of the best in the world. a so called 7star hotel is being built in the waterfront and a apartment recently got sold there for R110 million . the living cost in Cape Town is a lot lower than in most other cities . Cape Town is also a 100 times cleaner than those South American cities. Have personally been to Buenos A and one of my best friends immigrated from
Brazil to Cape Town. Im NOT trying to bring down those cities but to not atleast see CT in the same light as those is a disgrace! even our Mayor Helen Zille is in the running to be voted best mayor of 2008 in the world!

#613 ·
I clearly posted the link to where that information was retrieved from. The CIA is a respected supplier of world statistics, and if you're trying to debunk them, you'd either have to prove to me you have the right credentials to do so, or you're in deep denial.

Other than your utilization of National statistics, may I ask what other proof do you have that justifies your assertion that Cape Town is "slightly less developed" than Mexico City, Buenos Aires, or Sao Paulo?

#614 ·
I clearly posted the link to where that information was retrieved from. The CIA is a respected supplier of world statistics, and if you're trying to debunk them, you'd either have to prove to me you have the right credentials to do so, or you're in deep denial.

Other than the use of National statistics, may I ask what other proof do you have that justifies your assertion that Cape Town is slightly less developed than Mexico City, Buenos Aires, or Sao Paulo?
And the IMF, UN, and World Bank aren't reputable suppliers of statistics?

Though plenty of reputable agencies are still capable of creating odd lists...you even said it yourself: "it baffles me how South Africa is developed yet South Korea is not."

And no, I have no statistics available for each individual city at the moment (I'll look into when I get home). But each country's development statics are a hell of lot more reliable than the biased travel anecdotes of some guy on SSC. :lol:

#628 ·
It actually is. Cape Town is a great example how judging a city by it's national statistics is a poor decision. For example, you can't judge a city like Detroit, or Fresno by looking at America's national statistics. The difference of wealth, and quality of life in both respective cities, are largely different from national statistics. If you disagree, then I guess it's just a coincidence that so many cities throughout the world don't fully correlate with their national statistics.
There is a definite pattern however, more so with the first city of a country though. The US is richer than Canada which is rich than Spain which is richer than Thailand which is richer than India. Its no coincidence that New York is wealthier than Toronto which is wealthier than Madrid, which is more than Bangkok and then Mumbai. Exceptions are more likely to be in smaller cities.

What is the income disparities???
Income disparity is measured by the Gini coefficient - the higher it is the worse the disparity.

#630 · (Edited)
There is a definite pattern however, more so with the first city of a country though. The US is richer than Canada which is richer than Spain which is richer than Thailand which is richer than India. Its no coincidence that New York is wealthier than Toronto which is wealthier than Madrid, which is more than Bangkok and then Mumbai. Exceptions are more likely to be in smaller cities.

^^
Well according to GDP per capita, Canadians are wealthier than Spaniards. But as a whole (GDP, either nominal or at PPP) Spain is ahead of Canada :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)

#617 ·
This stuff on South AFrica, Cape Town and Mexico City and Sao Paolo and Buenos Aires is forgetting something. Importance in economics and world cooperation.

ITs a known fact that Mexico City is the economic capital of all latin america and slight behind it is Sao Paolo.

the importance in cooporation in the world is different within cities and their countries laws on foreign activities.

but overall importance in the world is what counts part of a mega city thats developed

as for FUTURE DEVELOPED. Mexico City, Sao Paolo and Buenos Aires are all gonna be already are rising to Developed. Mexico, BRazil, and Argentina by 2030 are gonna have high develop progress to be already developed and by 2050 already far into deveoped nations.
Look at BRIMC
Brazil - Russia - India - Mexico - China
This is a porjected worlds richest nations by 2050 by bank Goldman Sachs and many expert economists.

#619 · (Edited)
as for FUTURE DEVELOPED. Mexico City, Sao Paolo and Buenos Aires are all gonna be already are rising to Developed. Mexico, BRazil, and Argentina by 2030 are gonna have high develop progress to be already developed and by 2050 already far into deveoped nations.
Look at BRIMC
Brazil - Russia - India - Mexico - China
This is a porjected worlds richest nations by 2050 by bank Goldman Sachs and many expert economists.
Cape Town isn't even the largest city in South Africa, nor is Cape Town it's financial capital, that title belongs to Johannesburg. Johannesburg is currently the largest financial center in all of Africa. Although disputed, South Africa is still classified as a developed country. I'm also pretty sure Johannesburg will be a megacity by 2050, because by then Pretoria will be absorbed by the rapid urbanization of Gauteng.

#622 ·
And there you proved it to us! you will see just how developed CT is in 2010. on becoming a megacity - Cape Town will in the not too distant future form a continious metropole from the helderberg to wellington to saldanha in the north. cape town offers to people with money the same living standerd as a city like melbourne - exept for crime. but with Helen Zille or Godzille as shes these days fondly referred to at the head we will beat all obsticles.

#623 ·
I have the info, for the cities themselves (municipal boundaries), not the entire country...
Don't know if it was posted before, do not want to scan all pages of the thread.

Buenos Aires:
Total GDP: $252billion
GDP per capita: $21,875

Mexico City:
Total GDP: $315billion
GDP per capita: $18,103

Sao Paulo:
Total GDP: $225billion
GDP per capita: $15,109

Cape Town:
Total GDP: $75billion
GDP per capita: $21,446

I have lived in America, Europe and Cape Town. Cape Town is developed to the scale of any first world city, so people that keep talking when they've never lived in any other foreign city (or been to S.Africa), please hide your ignorance. Cape Town has developing elements like Latin America, such as some poverty, unemployment, planning issues. But, Cape Town is by no means lesser than any globally competitive city or any Latin capital for that matter (we're just small: 3,2million people or so).

Cape Town is unlike ANY African city. Those who do not know, immerse yourselves in the Cape Town threads, GoogleEarth or just a book!

#624 ·
^^ Just a personal and unsubstatiated opinion ;) in terms of South Africa it seems apparant from my point of view that within the not to distant future the cities of johanasburg and tshwane(pretoria) coupled with the different "rand" areas will form an enormous gauteng mega-city. This Idea is supported by the continueous intergration of the city through projects such as the gautrain

#625 ·
Isnt gauteng a quarter of South Africas GDP and Pretoria and Johannesburg almost already connected and those mega projects around midrand filling up the last gaps?
BTW the only thing that makes Cape Town any less first world than a city like NY or Munich is public transport and the last spots of informal settlements . and guess what bough of them have a deadline and ongoing construction. transport 2013 to be ultra first world and housing 2015.

#631 · (Edited)
Spain 'should' have a higher GDP as it has more than 10 million more people than Canada. GDP per capita is a more accurate portrayal of how well off a country is. Sorry Spain.

#633 ·
The HDI is the better way to know the development of a place. And Buenos Aires 's HDI is 0.923 (high) and for example the HDI of Singapore is 0.922.
The HDI of USA is 0.951
Sao Paulo: 0.841

Can you see the difference between Sao Paulo and Buenos Aires? Buenos Aires has a HDI like Singapore.

But we are speaking abour "megacities" and Buenos Aires has abour 10 million people more than Cape Town.
Buenos Aires also had the First Metro line in southern hemisphere and Iberoamerica.
Buenos Aires count with important services and factories. It is a global city.
Cape Town is a really beautiful city and is a Jewell in Africa but I think the Latin American Cities of Buenos Aires, Santiago, Mexico DF and Sao Paulo-Rio de Janeiro, are really in a better rank

#642 ·
That only shows that HDI is hilarious! Buenos Aires may be far ahead of all Latin American megacities, but surely is nothing compared to Singapore! And it may be close to a 1st World city, but it isn't yet. It can only become 1st World if the entire country introduces a sustainable social welfare system.
Same goes for South Africa, Mexico etc. And as long as people have to live inslums and myriads in the streets with high crime rates and no social welfare, they cannot be considered in this thread, as they are Third World or Developing World, thus you have to open another thread about them. This is ONLY ABOUT 1st World...

#637 ·
then why cape town has a little amount of tall building.
Tall buildings aren't what make cities better than each other, if so those the cities you've mentioned above would be better than Amsterdam, Vienna, and other cities who don't have many tall buildings. Cape Town is a sustainable city, within the ranks of Melbourne, New York, Frankfurt, and London. Mexico City, Buenos Aires, and Sao Paulo aren't, so I guess that makes Cape Town better, right?

bbaiires,sao paulo, mexico city and santiago has more finacial markets and bussiness than cape town.
Cape Town isn't the largest business/financial center in South Africa, so your argument doesn't hold much weight. Out of all those cities mentioned, how can the next largest city of that respective country compare to Cape Town? I doubt they can.

#641 ·
Johannesburg is just as developed as the listed cities you've mentioned in Latin America, but it can't compete when it comes to it's increasingly growing financial sector. Regarding everything else, Johannesburg is just as developed: Highways, Public Transit, Slum Replacement, Stadiums, Tall Buildings, Entertainment, Industry, Tourism, Universities, etc...

#643 ·
But Buenos Aires doesnt have massive slums housing millions of people. Sure they have old, dilapidated neighborhoods. Most of the slums are scattered here and there and dont cover mile after mile of the urban landscape.

#644 ·
I know that Buenos Aires isn't Rio or Caracas. But they do not have a sustainable social welfare system. Buenos Aires is a case of a very godd non developed city. I think it can be considered fully developed in about 15 years. Just like Santiago or Montevideo. :cheers:

#650 ·
Well as a matter of fact with that announcement came the announcement of the tallest building in Cape Town which has just begun construction. More are to follow.

I am a fan of Cape Town. But I don't know why you put it so much above South America. At least they don't seem to have South Africa's struggles to build stadiums for a WC! And South Africa is doing not so well about that issue even with massive help from Germany! I think South America has more chances and will to become developed that South Africa. Sorry, at least this is what South Africa passes as an image!
Have you done any research whatsoever? Where on Earth you get your information from is beyond me. Please do some more research from proper sources before you make ill-informed comments. All of the world cup stadiums are on track - some are ahead of schedule. It baffles me where you get the load of garbage you just said from.

#651 ·
The topic says: Developed Future Megacities.

Megacities are those of more than 10million? So Mexico City, SP, Buenos Aires, Cape Town.... What cities fit in this category?

Developed Cities? Let's say developed is .900 HDI and above... So, Which cities fit in this category?

Future, ? Let's say 2030? What cities fit in the category of being MEGA by population and having a HID above of .900?

Now, are we going to consider the whole country as a rule to include a city in this category? Because, just as an example: Buenos Aires by the year 2030 could have a HID above .900 but the country could be below of .900 of HID. So, Are we going to consider Buenos Aires eventhoug the whole country is not above the HID Of .900?

Let's define what we are to consider before starting to discuss....please..

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.