SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Manchester Hotels

881K views 4K replies 335 participants last post by  anorack 1 
#1 ·
Another new hotel for the city centre!(I will include the rest, built and proposed as soon as I've got time)

City Centre Ward 077062/FO/2005/C2 08/11/2005 Corner Of Wyre Street And Fairfield Street Adjacent To Manchester Piccadilly Station City Construction of new 73 bedroom hotel with ancillary functions and 4 meeting rooms
Fairfield Street

See less See more
#30 ·
One of my favourite buildings in Manc this. It's done **** all for pavement activity through the years, but Christ in a Cortina, look at him. He's a big fucker and no mistake. The Stone Cold Steve Austin of buildings. Very limited, but his finish is just "pow".

#31 ·
Here.

A bit of investigating tonight.

Turned up something.

075988/FO/2005/C2

Telecommunications House (Victory House)
London Road
City

Conversion of existing building to offices (use class B1) and 231 bedroom hotel (use class C2) and ancillary functions with car parking on site at rear

Approved

*A 231-bed four-star hotel in the former BT tower block on London Road. Scottish firm Macdonald Hotels wants planning permission to transform the building into a hotel with mixed office use. Macdonald operates 60 hotels and resorts in Britain and will be venturing into Manchester city centre for the first time, with the majority of its business focused on the four-star market.

Click on Rio link, then retail & leisure, then lazy-l hotel.

I'm 99.99% sure those renders relate to the eurocentral hotel?

I think a phone call may be necessary on Tuesday to clear things up.

Architects.

http://www.rioarchitects.co.uk/data_rio.xml

Hotel Company.

http://www.macdonald-hotels.co.uk/

#32 ·
dgnr8 said:
One of my favourite buildings in Manc this. It's done **** all for pavement activity through the years, but Christ in a Cortina, look at him. He's a big fucker and no mistake. The Stone Cold Steve Austin of buildings. Very limited, but his finish is just "pow".
I know its not saying much but this is the best building built in Manchester between 1970 and 1990.
A well detailed, classy and clever building.
This building doesnt (hasn't?) got the credit it deserves.
I have considered trying to get this listed but think its future is secure now so am happy to leave it alone.
Hopefully this reuse will raise its profile.

#37 ·
Gateway house was by Richard Seifert and partners from 1969.
Victory House (aka Telecom House) was by J L Hammond from 1973.
I suppose they were both just responding to the topography but it would be naive to say Hammond hadnt seen Gateway House.

#38 ·
Taken today.

Scaffolding going on front and back.

I've never seen so many hard helmets in the City Centre! There
everywhere!:shocked:

Anyone know what this development is? Is it the 20+ storey student accommodation? Cores are massive/visible from the NCP car park/Eastgate.

#43 ·
At last, the new application has been submitted.

No associated documents yet, they're normally added the following week.

Nothing on Rio's site yet.

I'll ring Rio architects again next week to see if I can get any further info or renders now the new application has been submitted.

079838/FO/2006/C2

Telecommunications House
(Victory House)
London Road
City

Conversion of existing building to offices (Use Class B1) and 215 bedroom hotel Use Class C2) and ancillary functions with car parking on site at rear (amendments to application 075988/FO/2005/C2)

#44 ·
Still havent seen any renders and the app. hasnt even got any drawings with it.
I hope they dont ruin it by changing the fenestration patterns or doing anything daft with it.
Lets us know what you come up with jcb because i have a vested interest in this building.

#45 ·
Conversion of existing building to offices (use class B1) and 231 bedroom hotel (use class C2) and ancillary functions with car parking on site at rear
Description of the original application. Looks like they've increased the offices at the expense of the hotel element. No images to be downloaded from the original application. I wonder if they are back scanning applications from before they introduced this new system?

#46 ·
The Longford said:
Still havent seen any renders and the app. hasnt even got any drawings with it.
I hope they dont ruin it by changing the fenestration patterns or doing anything daft with it.
Lets us know what you come up with jcb because i have a vested interest in this building.
As soon as I get anything (if I do) Longstay I will post it. If I draw a blank, I'll nip down to the PO next week with digi, my best mate. :)

#49 ·
cheers jrb.

I thought someone said a while ago that manchester was short of office space with large floor space. I'd have thought this would have been perfect.

Whats with all the hotels? I'm not complaing but it seems weird that all of a sudden there's people building hotels all over the place. Surely if there was a big need for hotles people would have took risks and started building them ages ago. The developers seem to have waited until the city seems to be deperate for hotels and now they are all getting built at once.

More competition for propective albany and eastgate hotel people, too. Might scare them away.

#50 ·
macc said:
cheers jrb.

I thought someone said a while ago that manchester was short of office space with large floor space. I'd have thought this would have been perfect.

Whats with all the hotels? I'm not complaing but it seems weird that all of a sudden there's people building hotels all over the place. Surely if there was a big need for hotles people would have took risks and started building them ages ago. The developers seem to have waited until the city seems to be deperate for hotels and now they are all getting built at once.

More competition for propective albany and eastgate hotel people, too. Might scare them away.
Macc.

Think the average weekly hotel take up rate in Manc is 75%-80%. Apparently during concerts, Football matches, and other events, you can't get a city centre hotel room for love nor money.(except the 5* ones)

One of the things that held Manchester/ Manchester city cente back was the lack of sufficient/quality hotel rooms. Not anymore.

Don't forget City Inn and the proposed Fire Station Hotel as well.
The Piccadilly Station/London Road area will be Manchester's new hotel district/quarter.

#51 ·
I really hope they do a good job with this one, I know its not to everyones taste but I really like the building, I hope it doesn't look...erm.. tacky, when its redeveloped.

Hell of a size hotel isn't it!

Thanks for the renders jerb