SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Mumbai - Roads | Flyovers | Freeways

Tags
mumbai
2M views 8K replies 398 participants last post by  Anuj N 
#1 ·
The Mumbai Roads and Flyovers thread went missing during the reorg, so this thread will basically serve the purpose of tracking updates on projects related to Roads including Bridges, Flyovers and Freeways.

x-posting the last couple of posts retrieved from Google's cache.

Axw11 said:
Freeway won’t spoil heritage view: MMRDA

Source: www.mumbaimirror.com
The city can rest assured that its heritage structures will not be put in the background by the elevated section of the proposed freeway from Colaba to Anik in Wadala.

The Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA) has told representatives of Asiatic Society that the elevated sections would begin only after the point where the heritage buildings end.

The society had expressed reservations that the freeway, which is supposed to begin at the Prince of Wales Museum and pass through Shahid Bhagat Singh Road and P D’Mello Road before entering the Mumbai Port Trust area would obscure views of Town Hall, Hornbill House, Church of St Andrew and St Columba, Old Customs House, Government Mint, INS Angre and other naval establishments, and the Reserve Bank of India headquarters. All these and several more buildings on this route are heritage structures and the pride of this city.

The Asiatic Society feared that if elevated sections of the freeway come up in front of these buildings, they would be robbed of their grandeur.

On March 4 , Mumbai Mirror had reported the concerns raised by Asiatic Society about the freeway obscuring the city’s heritage structures

The society wrote to the MMRDA about its concerns in the second week of March and sought a meeting with commissioner Ratnakar Gaikwad.

A meeting was fixed two weeks ago where Gaikwad assured the society’s members that the proposed 22-km freeway would in no way obstruct the view of the various heritage structures on Shahid Bhagat Singh Road.

He told them that there would be no elevated structure or road widening in the 1.6 km stretch between Prince of Wales Museum and Shahid Bhagat Singh Road.

Secondly, widening of the existing road would begin only after the Dena Bank building at Horniman Circle. The existing road will be widened between Walchand Hirachand Marg and Carnac Bunder.

Elevated sections would begin from Carnac Bunder.

Joint project director (public relations) Dilip Kawathkar told Mumbai Mirror that all necessary precautions have been taken to ensure that the heritage structures are not disturbed in any way and retain their grandeur.

WHAT IS THE FREEWAY ABOUT?

The proposed freeway will provide a high-speed corridor between Colaba and Anik in Wadala. It will start at Prince of Wales Museum, pass through Shahid Bhagat Singh Road and P D’Mello Road before entering the Mumbai Port Trust area. It will take the Anik Panjrapole Link Road and touch the Eastern Express Highway at Wadala. It is estimated to cost Rs 600 crore and is expected to be completed in 36 months.

WHY IT WON’T OBSCURE HERITAGE

There would be no elevated structure or road widening in the 1.6 km stretch between Prince of Wales Museum and Shahid Bhagat Singh Road where most of the heritage structures are located. Widening of the existing road would begin only after the Dena Bank building at Horniman Circle. The existing road will be widened between Walchand Hirachand Marg and Carnac Bunder. Elevated sections would begin from Carnac Bunder.
Jubin said:
MM: JVLR gets presidential nod
link

With President Pratibha Patil giving the go-ahead to acquire a part of the Indian Institute of Technology land for widening the Jogeshwari-Vikhroli Link Road (JVLR), the Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA) is doing everything it can to speed up work on the project.

A senior MMRDA official said that after several months of negotiations between MMRDA and IIT officials, the matter went to the President whose consent is required as IIT is run by the central government.” The President gave her consent last month enabling MMRDA to acquire the land for road widening,” said the official.
IndiansUnite said:
Thought i'd mention it here. Mumbai has around 50 functional flyovers right now. The ones U/C compiled from different sources are-

5 U/C on the WEH (Kandivali, Malad, Goregaon, Santa Cruz, Kherwadi)
5 U/C on Ambedkar road (Byculla, Lalbaug, Parel TT, Dadar TT, Sion)
Navghar flyover on EEW
Suman Nagar flyover
Barfiwalla lane- SV Road
Kurla Flyover
Sahar Elevated road (1.8kms)
Adi Shankaracharya Marg : LBS road
R.C.F. Junction

______

Apr 5: Kurla flyover on track again

MUMBAI: Work on the city's first double-decker flyover, coming up near Lokmanya Tilak Terminus, Kurla, which adjoins the Santa Cruz-Chembur Link Road (SCLR), is finally progressing after some initial delays. The flyover is expected to be ready by the end of next year.

The flyover will be 1.75 km in length and will cost Rs 110 crore. It will connect Sable Nagar near Tilak Terminus to New Tilak Nagar, which is between Hans Bugra Marg and Amar Mahal Junction.
cptracker said:
Kandivli west to east in 15 mins

Some shanties (in the background, on left) on the eastern end of the Kandivli flyover were blocking construction of the approach road. Last week, the BMC removed the last of the shanties

BMC removes shanty that held up work on flyover for nine years, will make it operational in May

Residents of Kandivli can rejoice as the last of the tenements that had held up work on a flyover connecting the eastern and western parts for over nine years was removed last week. Considering the delay, the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) demolished the shanty within an hour of the occupants getting alternative accommodation.

The flyover is almost complete but for the approach road, which could not be built as it necessitated removal of the tenement.

R-South ward assistant municipal commissioner V V Shankarwar said, “Once the occupants were allotted alternative accommodation, we called up the family and gave them an hour to vacate the room. Our staff then took a tempo to help the family shift to their new home at Kandivli (W). As soon as they left, we demolished the structure. We did not want to waste even a single day. The flyover will be made operational in May 2008.”

The tenements were part of a chawl lying at the eastern end of the bridge over the Western Railway line. Apparently, BMC never took the 115 shanties into account while planning the flyover in 1995. Work began in 1996 but was held up in 1999 after residents of the shanties refused to make way for the flyover.

In May 2005, occupants of 107 shanties were given alternative accommodation. Seven more were rehabilitated later but one remained because of a dispute between two parties. The last one was removed last week. Rs 60 crore went into the rehabilitation project.

But it seems to be money well spent. Nishant Chavan, Mahindra & Mahindra employee, says, “It takes me around 45 minutes to reach my office in the east. From May, I expect to make it in just 15 minutes.”

ABOUT THE FLYOVER

The flyover can be reached from Killachand Road (Shanker Lane) in the west. It will lead to Ashok Chakravarty Road and further to Akurli Road in the east. It is 600 metres long, 90 feet wide and cost Rs 9.85 crore.

At present, people have to travel all the way to either Borivli or Malad to cross over from Kandivli west to the east. Alternatively, they can try the Kandivli station railway crossing, which is, however, closed during peak hours in the morning and evening. Incidentally, WR plan to close the crossing once the flyover is operational due the high number of accidents.

Interestingly, a 57-foot high wall will be built on the eastern side as a visibility barrier at the insistence of defence authorities. The adjacent plot belongs to the armed forces who wanted the wall for security reasons.

It takes me around 45 minutes to reach my office in the east. From May, I expect to make it in just 15 minutes.
- Nishant Chavan, M&M employee

I am very happy because I have to travel from east to the west every day, sometimes twice. Also, this flyover will be boon for those facing a medical emergency. And, in case of a fire, the fire engines will reach here quickly
- Usha Patel, housewife

#3,821 ·
No man,curb lanes are best left to paver blocks bcz there wil be some utility company who wil dig the stretches and paver blocks are the best way to repair them
I would say concretize the whole square just at at the junctions or lets say the important junctions. Suitable ducts can be placed below the concrete slab for the utility cos.
In future concretization projects they should plan for carpeting the concrete layer with a layer of asphalt. The parking/curb lanes need not have paver blocks. They also can remain asphalt so that the whole road looks uniformly surfaced.
Another option is to have non-reinforced concrete layer in the curb lane. So utility cos can dig through it and replace the removed part once their work is done.

#3,824 ·
First look: Rs 4,300-crore Versova-Bandra Sea Link
http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Default/Scripting/ArticleWin.asp?From=Archive&Source=Page&Skin=MIRRORNEW&BaseHref=MMIR/2012/12/06&PageLabel=12&EntityId=Ar01200&ViewMode=HTML

Artist’s impressions of the Versova-Bandra arm of the Sea Link, which in the future will extend all the way to Nariman Point along Mumbai’s western coast, shows three entry/exit points on the nine-km stretch, and one spot for a proposed extension in the future.
The plans, accessed by Mumbai Mirror, have already received one set of environmental clearances, and the MSRDC (the nodal agency for the Rs 4,340-crore project) is now preparing the groundwork for the tender process.
The link runs approximately 900 metres off the coast. The Maharashtra Coastal Zone Management Authority (MCZMA) has cleared the project, and passed it on to the Ministry of Environment and Forests (MOEF) with a recommendation that it be given a final go-ahead.
A marine geo-technical investigation, to obtain information on the physical properties of rock and soil on the sea-bed, began in October, and the MSRDC hopes to begin construction in January, 2014.
A five-year deadline has been set for the project to be completed. 45
Minutes that commuters will save, according to MSRDC estimates 14
The number of signals you will skip by using the Versova-Bandra Sea Link 1500 Metres. The average depth of the superstructure 9.3
Kilometers. The (approximate) length of the Versova-Bandra Sea Link 16
Kilometers. The total length of roads that will be built, including the three connecting arms 2019
The year this segment of the Sea Link will be completed, if all goes to plan

The project plan includes a 150-metre cable-stayed bridge (similar to the stretch at the Reclamation end of the Bandra-Worli Sea Link) at Juhu beach, to ensure water transport is not affected.

Balance cantilever bridges with 100-metre spans will be built near Chimbai in Bandra, Khardanda and Juhu Koliwada – all fishing villages – to ensure fishermen can navigate the waters without difficulty.

At Versova, the Sea Link will join inland near Nana Nani Park, from where commuters can go right towards Juhu Circle, or left towards Yari Road. This connector will consist of six lanes (three in each direction).

The Juhu Koliwada connector will cut land on the stretch of beach at one end of Khar Danda, near Juhu Koliwada, and then go further inland before turning left towards Juhu road. This stretch will have four lanes.

The Versova-Bandra Sea Link meets the Bandra-Worli segment at a clover leaf intersection. A few kilometers before this, at the Otters Club end of Carter Road, space has been marked out for another connector, which can be built in the future.

complete look.

#3,826 ·
The connector at Juhu Koliwada is absolutely crazy and almost impossible, without rehabilation and road widening

The proposed connector at Carter road in future should be built initially, IF at all this project sees the light of the day. That is a very big 'IF' there.

God damn it, build the metro. The upper middle class of Bombay will be ready to leave the car at home anyday, if comfortable public transportation is available

#3,827 ·
Will it be possible to go underground all the way upto Juhu and then may be continue with the sea link till Versova . The entry - exit points at Juhu and other places might be a challenge but it will do away with all the wrangling and protests that are soon to follow .
I seriously feel this wont see the light of the day and actually it shouldn't as none of us would want to gaze at a bridge sitting at Band stand or Juhu for that matter .

#3,828 ·
Seriously WTF is this? :eek:hno:

What about extending the BWSL to Haji Ali and Nariman Point? Isn't that the first priority? In fact forget about that, at least build a frigging interchange at the Worli end of BWSL to remove the bottleneck yaar! If this project ever sees the light of day, I won't be surprised if at the end they decide to cut costs and replace the three interchanges with signals right on the sea-link :bash:

#3,830 ·
Consensus by Fraud.

I was surprised this came out of nowhere. Our government doesn't have a stable plan. Why are they going back and forth with feasibility studies when they need to look for a long term and permanent solutions.
^^

Stable.

Govt. itself is stable, wotsay?

Allow me. Govt. dept.'s try parliamentary, public consensus building.
Politics is run by goon netas, so these public consensus building measures are mostly a farce. Goons hijack public meetings, with a nod & wink by presiding netas. Make believe democracy.

MumbaiMMR, fantastic post, thanks. Consider it done, why? Because in democracy the ideas are bottom up supposedly, read my para above; it's a top down model. Top=Minister.

#3,832 ·
Will it be possible to go underground all the way upto Juhu and then may be continue with the sea link till Versova . The entry - exit points at Juhu and other places might be a challenge but it will do away with all the wrangling and protests that are soon to follow .
I seriously feel this wont see the light of the day and actually it shouldn't as none of us would want to gaze at a bridge sitting at Band stand or Juhu for that matter .
+1 earlier plan was to go underground at bandstand, joggers park and Juhu beach. Don't know why this suddenly changed. I even oppose worli Haji ali sea link. I do not want to go to sea side to see the bridge.

#3,833 ·
+1 earlier plan was to go underground at bandstand, joggers park and Juhu beach. Don't know why this suddenly changed. I even oppose worli Haji ali sea link. I do not want to go to sea side to see the bridge.
I believe, it will be a problem for planes and helicopters taking off from Juhu Airport, even if the bridge is built at a distance in the sea..:eek:hno:

#3,834 ·
Seriously WTF is this? :eek:hno:

What about extending the BWSL to Haji Ali and Nariman Point? Isn't that the first priority? In fact forget about that, at least build a frigging interchange at the Worli end of BWSL to remove the bottleneck yaar! If this project ever sees the light of day, I won't be surprised if at the end they decide to cut costs and replace the three interchanges with signals right on the sea-link :bash:
True that.

I don't see that kind of thing happening in Versova, that place is saturated big time.