SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Retail in Liverpool

2M views 9K replies 343 participants last post by  Howie_P 
#1 ·
I thought it might be useful to have a general thread for retail in Liverpool. Not neccessarily just the city centre, but also further afield in district centres, and out of town retail parks. Obviously issues to do with Liverpool One can still go in the relevant thread, but I thought it would make sense to keep all news, comments, and discussion on other retail issues in the city together in one place.

First is some rather downbeat news that the stand-alone George store in Clayton Square Shopping Centre is to close - http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/live...-asda-kills-off-george-brand-100252-20805562/

#4 ·
I thought it might be useful to have a general thread for retail in Liverpool.
There needs to be a street or small district wherein formula stores (chain stores, anything with more than ten look-alike or feel-alike outlets nationwide) are not allowed.

A block or two of strictly one-off shops, cafes etc.. It would become an attraction all of its own in time. Antique stores are great for pulling in spending travellers from faraway. Bold Street perhaps?

#6 ·
It pulls in loads. Someone at Halton BC came up with a figure of £1 billion from Halton alone being spent there which has accelerated developments in Widnes and Runcorn to try and grab some back.

I see it as an opportunity to develop a district centre, forget all this retail park, that place could have a street layout that links in to Garston, Hunts Cross, Allerton as well as the main routes from Speke and Widnes. That would have the impact of pulling more residentail in to the no mans land of shops and offices around there which could generate bar and restaurant activity, a cinema etc. and link Speke in to the city fabric.

#7 ·
It pulls in loads. Someone at Halton BC came up with a figure of £1 billion from Halton alone being spent there which has accelerated developments in Widnes and Runcorn to try and grab some back.

I see it as an opportunity to develop a district centre, forget all this retail park, that place could have a street layout that links in to Garston, Hunts Cross, Allerton as well as the main routes from Speke and Widnes. That would have the impact of pulling more residentail in to the no mans land of shops and offices around there which could generate bar and restaurant activity, a cinema etc. and link Speke in to the city fabric.
That hadn't occurred to me. I like it.

:cheers:

#9 ·
Clayton sq looks like its going to go from being the one time smartest shopping mall in the city centre to the most dated once st johns is given a clean.

Lime st/Renshaw st/051/former blacklers/st johns/clayton sq are all in danger of becoming a shopping ghetto if a clear strategy for this area isnt established.

Too many places there that exclude the outside and look inwards at themselves, we need to get people flow through these obstructions rather than trying to entice them in as a destination in itself. Unless a formula is devised to encourage walk through that creates seamless connection with their surroundings and each other then Liverpools front door from Lime Street and Central will struggle.

#10 ·
Too many places there that exclude the outside and look inwards at themselves, we need to get people flow through these obstructions rather than trying to entice them in as a destination in itself. Unless a formula is devised to encourage walk through that creates seamless connection with their surroundings and each other then Liverpools front door from Lime Street and Central will struggle.
Clayton Square used to do both. It was a destination, but also allowed flows from St. Johns and beyond to Central Station and beyond. However the installation of the escalators in the middle, and worse the addition of small stalls backing onto them created a bottle-neck. Often when I worked in town, I would walk around Clayton Square rather than through it (the direct route) because it became so congested inside.

When Clayton Square first opened, it was very pleasant, with double-height ceilings, and wide-open spaces. However the desire to squeeze as much retail space out of the building as possible has shut the building down, and now it really isn't a place I enjoy visiting, indeed I try not to where possible. Ironically the proposed improvements for St. John's - double-height malls, more natural light etc, are exactly the same things that Clayton Square used to have - and would greatly benefit from having again.

#11 ·
That's very true Chris, I can't remeber when I last walked through Clayton Square, I used to but the cluttering of the middle made it more of a hassle so no shops in there get any of my passing or 'on a whim' trade. I wonder how many other people think like that?

#12 ·
They also cluttered the upper level by putting the George shop there in the first place. It used to be possible to walk in at the upper level (next to what was the Tourist Information Centre) but now the only way people can get upstairs is by walking through George (which not many people seem to do) or going in downstairs and adding to the congestion down there.

#13 ·
^^

Good point. I hope when Boots gain their extension (what's the hold-up with that BTW?), and begin trading from the ground floor only, the upper section of the store will be converted into a proper upper entrance to the shopping centre. I can't see it somehow though.